Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Rated Cap: 14
Newbie with a Stop Sign

Howdy y'all! Long time follower first time poster. I got a nice little GMC with a brand new O'reilly's long block that I am currently nearly finished with a conversion into a brewery tour bus. When I bought it from the local high school they disconnected the flashing lights and stop sign from the back of the switches. The guy at the bus barn said they had to do that to legally sell it to me but then showed me where to simply plug the wires in to get it working again. I will be carrying passengers within the bus and would like to keep the stop sign function on the side as it matches the wheels which I have painted a matching safety red. I always wanted red wheels and finally got em! My question is do any of you have experience with laws pertaining to the stop sign? I don't plan to use it on roads but while loading people in and out in parking lots I see a need for it. If it is illegal to use can I just change the color of the stop sign or perhaps what it says? I've been thinking about making it say "WOAH" or turning it into a bottlecap instead of a stop sign. Any info would be fantastic. I'm located in Arkansas so we don't have quite the amount of crazy laws as say California or a more progressive state.

muddlerminnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Newbie with a Stop Sign

Howdy & Welcome! --- Sounds like a very cool project ( which should have a few pix to go with it ). As for the legal ins and outs, that is strictly a state-by-state issue. Some require a color change from "school bus yellow" and others don't. Some have really weird rules and laws about many of the things that come on Skoolies, others very few requirements. And getting straight answers can be tricky too. Nearly every DMV office here in Texas interprets every rule differently. So...check your local offices for a ruling...then get something on paper. That way, when some cop in another county jumps on you for whatever, you have something to fall back on.

Best of luck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Rated Cap: 14

Thanks for the input! I will have some pics up and coming soon!
muddlerminnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

bottle cap with strobes would be neat

here is mine
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote