Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: El Dorado Aerotech
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350
I need all the advice I can get on my 1996 Aerotech Ford 350

I love my Aerotech! I have been researching Skoolie.net for months preparing for this labor of love. On August 29, 2014, my birthday, I bought a 1996 Aereotech Ford 350 shuttle bus.

My bus was used for a mobile medical testing unit so it doesn't have lots of wear. It's got about 65,000 miles. It only has one single seat in it. The drapes and everything else, I think, are original. El Dorado National company is wonderful. I emailed them the buses VIN number and they sent me schematics, the original work order for the bus and a list of abbreviations used on fuses etc. I would love to have the manual. it has a leveling system that we are not sure how or if we should use.

I use a wheelchair full time and have run into some issues staying in "accessible hotel rooms". To make traveling a more comfortable experience, my boyfriend and I want to convert my Aerotech Shuttle Bus so it's "Jodie Accessible"

Our goal to have a full sized sleeping area, electricity (the bus already has 4 110 outlets), a bench for single sleeping/seating, a camping potty that can slide under the bed and a small counter with open shelves underneath for storage.

We have already gotten my wheelchair lift installed, taken the drapes down for washing, wiped down the inside, removed the grey carpet on walls, chaulked a leak, prepared the roof for painting/sealing with Bus Kote, ordered AC gasket and filters, removed thousands of bumper stickers, etc.

Challenges we are dealing with now include: lots of rust underneath (floor is good), fuel fill hose needs replaced (it leaks when we fill gas tank),

We would like to keep the single seat and find another to go opposite it for a small dinette and passenger seating. If you have or know of any single or bench seats that would work for that, please advise.
Floorplan options have got us stymied (particularly how to construct the full size bed - Murphy bed, slide out, fold up extension, etc). Any plans on bed construction or dinette benches would be very much appreciated.

I have enjoyed seeing all of your beautiful work and learning from all your experiences.

Jodie

Peachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: I need all the advice I can get on my 1996 Aerotech Ford

Welcome! Look at my build pics-I managed to squeeze a passenger seat up front-and theres pics of my fold up bed/bench.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Eldorado customer service would be my first inquiry for the service manual.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Bus Geek

cool, and welcome

Are you doing the driving controls yourself?

and keep pics coming!!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Coachwork: El Dorado Aerotech
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 350

I drive my lil Dodge van with hand controls. I'm not interested in driving the Ford 350. My boyfriend or friends will be driving it for me. I had some tie downs put right up behind the drivers seat. I'd rather be chauffeured.
Peachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

ahhhh come on, maybe wraparound armor on the back corners, incase you forget how wide her rear is (referring to bus!!)

that way you can drive, plus in an emergency you can drive, you never know when you might need Doritos or beer
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

A service manual should be pretty easy to find. Basically you're driving a 350 Ford van. Look at parts stores or online for a Ford or Chilton manual for your model year.