Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Wolfington
Engine: V8 5.7L gas. GMC G350 Van
Rated Cap: 14
Member of a club I didn't know existed

hi all,

When I won the bus at the link below at an auction, it seems like I became a member of a club I didn't know existed.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...06&acctid=2196

Unlike most of you, I bought this bus as a business vehicle. A hauler. Fortunately, even though this has a bus body, the title says Van, which seems to be fortunate for me. I bought it in NJ and had to get a stupid paper tag to drive it a few miles to the PA border. I had a mini argument with the toll collector who charged me extra for driving a bus. "but the title says its a van" i said. "It looks like a bus to me" said the toll taker. I decided not to argue the point.

I was pleasantly surprised that the 1993 GMC G3500 Vandura with a worthington body was in good shape for its age. Strong engine. Good transmission. Heat and a/c that went on when I hit the blower motor with a wrench. Broken door handle and missing gas cap fixed for a few bucks. And the POWER of operating the folding door handle. Awesome.

It was pretty carelessly painted white. It IS for business use only. And I do need a hauler. But I can't help but want to make her look cool. I'd love to have your ideas. Things I want to do - on a minimal budget - are:

Replace the two front tires
Black out the side windows
Remove the rust spots and paint over them
Replace the drivers seat. I'd love something with an armrest.
Add at least one rear seat. It currently has none
Add a lock for the rear door that can be locked and opened from the outside
Implement other things to make the bus secure.
Figure out how to get the rear heater/ac unit working. Seems like they disconnected the overhead wires up front.
Figure out how NOT to piss off the neighbors with a bus on the street. We currently have four cars. Looking to get rid of one.

Please don't feel obligated to answer all - or any - of the above. But any answers or pointers in the right direction will be appreciated.

John

Vintshave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Member of a club I didn't know existed

nice deal on a shorty,

welcome to the forum