Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Ford
Engine: 7.3L diesel
Gauge size between batteries and converter?

Hey all. I have a 99 Ford E350 shortbus (diesel, 7.3L). I am working on the wiring but am not sure what gauge wire to use between the auxiliary batteries and the converter box. I have a 30amp/120V converter. I am "guessing" my alternator outputs 130amps at idle. I will be running a max of 10ft of wire between the two components. I am thinking I need somewhere between a #6 and a #2 gauge but I am not sure. Depending on the max amp output of the alternator it seems like it could jump all the way up to a #000 gauge. I am at a loss! Any suggestions on how to determine what I need?

freedom_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Gauge size between batteries and converter?

Do you mean a standard converter box which normally has no more larger wire size than the modern cars? If so, you do not need a wire larger than that, cause that is what they came with, and besides, the converter can only handle a small amount of amperage, if you read its specs. That size is what i use on mine.. However, the main 12v cable i have running under the bus from front to back is very large. The copper itself is 3/4 inch in diameter. That way, i have plenty of amps to start my generator which is where the front steps were. (and some line taps along the way)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #3

This should be a standard #2 gauge wire. You should be able to pick one up at a high end truck repair shop.
AMKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #4

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Ford
Engine: 7.3L diesel

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know what size breaker, if any, should I put between my cabin batteries and the charger/converter?
freedom_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Another good source of wire if your making longer runs and can buy it in bulk is welding wire. No not the type to weld with but ones they use for various types of grounds and other things. It is usually oil resistant and has a well insulated jacket on it. I know TSC carries 2 sizes there and you can buy it by the foot. If you need larger gauge stuff you will have to go to a welding shop. They will have the eyelets and will usually crimp them on for you.

Just food for thought.

Bapos
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

i used outdoor welding cable for the shipyard...a tad overkill