Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Wood Gas Wizard - Article

Wood Gas Wizard by MEN
Article in Mother Earth News. It's these lines that got me thinking a link to the article would be good.
Quote:
If an “alternative” fuel can pull a 7-plus ton load, why do we even need petroleum?
Quote:
Regularly hauls loads of 15,000 pounds in farm work.
If you are into wood gasification, the article may hold some new info for you. If not, the article will give you a nice bit of history. With the price of diesel still so close to $4 per gallon, It might be something David & I should look into for the bus. It's not like we go joy riding in the bus all the time. We don't move much.
Quote:
It is possible to convert diesel engines to use wood gas, if given the correct compression ratio. But the injector pump has to furnish the ignition with at least 5 percent diesel.
More research needed to see if we can get the old Fuel Pincher to work on wood.

Did you know that you can get free wood (mostly red cedar) in NM? In Socorro, guys would collect it by the trailer load and sell it to the folks in town to burn in their fireplaces & wood stoves. They would go up on the BLM land (mountains behind Socorro) and collect it.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I made a gasifier out of junk off my land.had it running a little Toyota truck down the road at about 45mph.very satisfying! Wasn't that hard to make.super easy getting the engine to run off of it.was a lot of room for refinement with my design though.figured it got something like...4 gallons of chips per mile.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Almost There

That's a lot of chips. Might have found my new favorite unit though

gallons of chips/mile

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote