Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: 392 International-Gasolin
Riddle me this? 50 am shore/generator with inverter too

Pulled the majority of the old wiring out of my bus..it was a mixture of this and that. Anyways..because of the 2 AC units I was going to install a 50 amp service to handle the load. The problem I'm running into is this. I have an Onan 6.5kw generator also, both the shore power and generator will be handled by an automatic transfer switch. From there the supply will run into a 50amp distribution/converter/charger ( like parallax sells). I have a 1000watt inverter I want to install also, when on battery power for laptop/tv/etc, it will run into the distribution panel too...but how do I protect my inverter from taking on load from the shore/generator? Another transfer switch? I've diagrammed it 4 or 5 different times and still get a flow back through the converter/charger etc.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks

Deacon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Re: Riddle me this? 50 am shore/generator with inverter too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon75
....I have a 1000watt inverter I want to install also, when on battery power for laptop/tv/etc, it will run into the distribution panel too...but how do I protect my inverter from taking on load from the shore/generator? Another transfer switch? I've diagrammed it 4 or 5 different times and still get a flow back through the converter/charger etc.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks
I wrestled with this too till I finally understood how the inverter with internal switching and a sub-panel works. I found several diagrams on the forum for wiring and modified one to what I think I'll be doing. I'm also concerned about 50 Amp service.

gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote