Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20
DON'T Buy From Civic Solar!!!

EDIT: Well after some further research it seems that Civic Solar is largely a wholesale operation, pretty big one at that, so that MIGHT explain some of the unusual pricing and shipping issues. However there are still some pricing snafus like listing at one price, but then changing/increasing it at checkout, but not on all products. And there's no info or warnings pertaining to quantity affecting price, but I guess it's possible that they are just so big and carry so many products that their IT guys are falling behind with updating prices. That's a possibility, what the truth is idk for sure.

While it looks like they will sell to small buyers (no prohibition or mandate to sell only wholesale to businesses) you probably have to buy like 4 or more, and as someone suggested, the best way to purchase from with them may be by phone rather than online. So I will retract my accusation of them being shady or dishonest and after leaving this retraction up for a while I'd like to remove this post all together, I'd hate to give a negative rep to a business if it's unfounded.
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Re: DON'T Buy From Civic Solar!!!

thank you! i imagine lots of us are shopping for solar equipment. i know i am. if you run across a store with integrity, please let us know! have read that less than a dollar per watt is doable, but have yet to find that price without crazy shipping fees.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I found Solarworld modules at a place called Northern Arizona Wind and Sun for right at a buck a watt. Now the only problem with larger modules is they cant ship UPS they must ship truck freight so you are at the mercy of the shipping company. They are only 200 miles from e so wife and I took a trip to pick them up. The cost of gas was less then the cost of shipping by a whole lot of cold beers . So think about finding a place in driving range. Good luck

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

Clay, thanks and likewise I appreciate it when folks do me a similar favor. I believe that bad business practices can often be modified too. I believe that oft times an online business may not be crooked, just greedy or too wrapped up in their own needs that they don't realize they're being inconsiderate of their customers needs, which is why whenever I find something offensive to me as a customer, before I leave that site, I'll take the time to shoot them an email and let them know what it is that turns me off (or flat out pisses me off, lol), and that in the interests of protecting friends and associates I'll be spreading the word. I think if they get enough feed-back they may change their ways, after all it's about $$$.

Chuck, yeah I realize that these kinds of items are bulky so shipping ain't cheap. The Altestore sells Solarworld panels, really well-built and made right here in the US of A, but the shipping for one blew my mind, like $257 for a big 275 w panel . That said, when I checked the shipping on 6 panels it was only $30 more so if you're buying a small quantity then it's far more reasonable, although I still think that price to ship 1 panel is WAY high!

Now Renogy sells their panels for fairly cheap, like a 300w 24v Poly panel on sale for just $235 which is dirt cheap at $0.79 a watt! Plus they offer free shipping within the lower 48, only hitch is you have to buy 2. I've heard some people swear by them and have good service, but I've no personal xp, but at that price and free shipping I'm really leaning that way ;?D
EDIT: Okay seems a little fishy now cuz after mentioning the free shipping, which DID come up when I faux ordered a pair a while ago, I checked again after being told it wasn't so, and low and behold when I tried to enter the order, just like before (the info even auto-filled) I'll be buggered if it didn't come up with a shipping charge of $260 for 2 panels!!! So I dunno wtf is going on, maybe someone else has had a similar xp with their site

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

run, run as fast as you can away from those folks.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote