Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Year: 99
Coachwork: ford
wiring my box truck

Hello there!
For some reason the search bar isn't working for me in the forums, so I'm about to ask questions that I know there are millions of answers to on the site... sorry! I'm having trouble navigating the forum.

I have four t-105s (trojan deep-cycle golf cart batteries). I'm about to begin wiring my dc system, which I feel fairly competent about doing. However I'm stuck on the first step- I don't know what gauge wires to use!

I'm running LED lights, a flojet water pump, a dc outlet to charge my phone, and a small fan that vents the battery box. I have an iota dls-55 converter/charger and a very simple fuse box.

I won't have a refrigerator or microwave or air conditioner... nothing will be running all the time.

Anyways, thanks for your time! The link for photos is below!

http:/boxtruckdreams.wordpress.com

conversionFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Year: 99
Coachwork: ford
Re: wiring my box truck

I got 12 gauge stranded high heat wire. Should be alright...
conversionFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

This is a great online calculator to determine cable size: http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html
I use it all the time. Input the highest amperage (combining possible loads) per wire run and the length of the run and click calculate. You'll want to stay within 1-3% acceptable loss.
My guess is that your pump will be rated at around 5 amps and the phone charger around 1 amp. You'll have to figure out the LED draw and add them together.

Using this tool I was able to calculate all of my runs for an acceptable loss of 1%. This required using 8awg wire.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

if you use google you can: skoolie.net + wire , or skoolie.net + wiring

that's how I search web sites...probably a newer way to do it

the leds and fan (assume 12v computer fan), and a charger port wont pull crap for amps (maybe 2 or 3 total) you can use really small wire here

the sureflow will be your biggest draw (5-10 amps guess)

the Iota 55 amp convertor will give you 55 amps of usable 12v when plugged into 120V

why so many batteries, for those loads?

a big invertor for 120v?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73

Are you talking about hooking up the batteries together and with a charger or are you talking about hooking up just lights and other stuff that uses the power.
If possible be sure to use a bus bar for the the batteries, it will help them get equal charge and it is a convenient way to hook up the chargers/inverters/fuse boxes.
When hooking up the batteries I would say find the correct size for a 1% loss then go one bigger if possible.