Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Solar Water heat

Its been a few years since I read anything on it, or even built one, but dont you want to have a bit more uniform piping to run your water through than what was shown? I have heard of using a flat copper pipe that goes down and back a few times will get alot better heat transfer, and even a black garden hose will outdo that copper rig.

My problem with that instructable is that he didn't do simple things that could have improved his results by 100% at least (not counting the Gathering Box as you mentioned). Using a single sized piping all the way through, instead of that 1 3/4 and 1/4 piping, would have made more sense and heating surface. He could have slightly flattened the pipe to increase the outward facing surface area before painting it black. Having the water go through a single, point to point, run instead of the two dozen that he has would have helped heat the water a few more degrees. And, having a raised panel that fits between the pipes (or even a fine black mesh panel) that heats up the air and allows it to flow around the pipes would increase the temperatures (I always got higher temps with mesh than reflectors).

I remember someone, I think Smitty, was talking about solar heaters for the side of their bus. One of the pictured heaters had black piping in it for water heating along with air heating.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

i did some playing with solar water heating this year at my house. I personally like the batch solar water heater like this type:

http://www.byexample.com/projects/cu...tch_collector/

takes up a bit more space, but is very very simple, and works great as long as you don't plan to use it when it's below freezing. I did some rudimentary testing on this type of water heater and was very impressed.

in my opinion, solar hot water is probably the best use of the suns energy for the average person.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

We're considering doing a pipe/hose heat system on top of the roof. Little concerned about the black hoses making the bus hotter inside. Still researching.

We used 5gln buckets painted black when we did Arizona in the winter years ago. That worked out great with their warm winter days, water was warm/borderline hot in a couple hours of direct sun.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I have read in many places over seas you have to have a solar for water heating for home use? I think its a good way to reuse the energy of the sun. I am not far enough in my build to make these decisions just yet but I think if it will produce enough hot water it would be a good choice. I think one would need a back up in the event the sun is not out.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

There is one in Alaska I came across that is heating their house via hot water with the side of a shed full of solar collectors.

It is possible.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
Its been a few years since I read anything on it, or even built one, but dont you want to have a bit more uniform piping to run your water through than what was shown? I have heard of using a flat copper pipe that goes down and back a few times will get alot better heat transfer, and even a black garden hose will outdo that copper rig.

My problem with that instructable is that he didn't do simple things that could have improved his results by 100% at least (not counting the Gathering Box as you mentioned). Using a single sized piping all the way through, instead of that 1 3/4 and 1/4 piping, would have made more sense and heating surface. He could have slightly flattened the pipe to increase the outward facing surface area before painting it black. Having the water go through a single, point to point, run instead of the two dozen that he has would have helped heat the water a few more degrees. And, having a raised panel that fits between the pipes (or even a fine black mesh panel) that heats up the air and allows it to flow around the pipes would increase the temperatures (I always got higher temps with mesh than reflectors).

I remember someone, I think Smitty, was talking about solar panels for the side of their bus. One of the pictured heaters had black piping in it for water heating along with air heating.
Solar water heater is effective.. I have been using similar system for heating water.. It is clean and cheap way of heating water.
BennyCol is offline   Reply With Quote