Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
running both LP and Gasoline in GMC engine

Is it possible and/or feasible to have an engine that can be run on either LP or normal gasoline? I have read it is not a big deal, however I was wondering what you all thought? It would need two different carbs and a fuel pump put back on but the ability to switch could be handy.

-Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
my bus came with a propane setup..my understanding is that you can run both off of the propane carb..some sort of connection and a switch is needed. Once I go back to get it (its in Wa, and I just moved to CO) I plan on doing a fast conversion to just gas, trying to fix a propane problem is a hassle that makes working on a deisel look like childs play. *S* if at that time you want to buy a propane carb and setup (minus the hugeass tank) let me know.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
propane

why are you switching to propane? Is it the concern that it could break down in the future? Or is it pooched now? I am very happy with my propane set up. It's far cheaper than normal gas. But in Nova Scotia it's considerably more so that's why the dual fuel reserch. Good luck. -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
out here propane is cheaper (mostly)..however finding places that sell it can be a royal pain in the ass...esp if you are on the rood and don't have pior idea where to stop for it...while gas is everywhere (side note: those little propane tanks don't work very well as a stop gap measure *S*)
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Re: running both LP and Gasoline in GMC engine

Back in the early '70's my dad put a dual fuel LP system on our '67 Chevy pickup with 327 small block. From what I remember, it used the regular gasoline carb with a shut-off solenoid for the gasoline supply, a shut-off for the LP supply, a shut-off for the air cleaner intake, and a "mixer" chamber that mixed the LP with air so that the air/fuel ratio was correct for the carb to meter, as well as a hundred gallon LP tank in the bed, the appropriate hoses, and a 3 position switch (LP-off-gasoline) on the dash. That's all I remember about the system, thought there may have been more to it.

In Texas, we had to have a tax stamp sticker on the vehicle in order to buy propane as a motor fuel. If you're filling tanks on a RV, how are they gonna know what the LP is for? We would run LP until the engine started to sputter, then switch over to gas and start looking for an LP dealer. Overall range with both tanks full was about 1,200 miles. Once my dad had a friend along on a long trip who brought a 12-pack to drink in the passenger seat (legal in Texas back in the day). Eventually he turned to my dad and asked "Don't you EVER stop for gas?" Poor guys bladder had had enough I guess.

Being able to shut off the fuel was handy on dates, but I think I'll leave that to your imagination as to why.
"We have the right as individuals to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right to appropriate a dollar of the public money." Davy Crockett
BearBike62 is offline   Reply With Quote