Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Bristol
Chassis: VRT/SL3
Engine: Gardner 6LX
Rated Cap: 78
Double Decker Bus RV Conversion

We got a British Double Decker Bus last year and it was in dire need of exterior refurb and dash redux. We were originally going to fix this up to use as a winery-tasting tour bus. As explicitly unique as possible, but we came to realize that Alcohol without food is not a good insurance liability to have. So we never got to the interior, but decided to put it up for sale instead. I thought I would chime in for the folks out there that have ever thought about working on double decker buses. For starters, you can import a bus for around $14-18K depending on where you live, plus the cost of the bus, which ranges from $4000-15,000. The only real problem is the height of the bus and not knowing what you are getting, but if you play your cards right, you can buy right. The height issue is anything over 13.5ft tall is not going to be tagged unless you apply for special permits in some states, if at all. This usually results in an "opentop" bus where they chop off the roof to comply with US Federal road requirements. You still have to avoid country roads and residential streets or travel with care. US highways and interstates are rated over 13.5ft tall. I wanted to start out with the original bus pics and a quick progression to where it is now. I have a video on youtube as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gDb_x-wumM
Attached Thumbnails
Old wrap Left front.JPG   Before Dash 1.JPG   Left side before 1.JPG  

DragginVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

Re: Double Decker Bus RV Conversion

From that to This....
Attached Thumbnails
Dubbeld Duckard Buzzs1.JPG   Birds eye view dashs.JPG   Le.ft. Si.d1e Vie....w.JPG  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Parts in the US are almost none to be spoken of, but in London! They have it all ;) I suppose anyone with a Bristol, Leyland or Olympian, etc. will have to know someone across the pond that has access to new old stock and suppliers. There is a fairly good bit of interchangeable electronic parts that are still manufactured today. Engines, trannies and heavy parts are littered across the UK in parts yards...roughly about $2,500USD to ship a crate, so comparably around $5-7,000 for a complete driveline shipped to the US. The key to owning a british bus is that if you are going to own it forever, be prepared to pay shipping on parts. The usual compressors, lenses, bulbs, alternators, regulators, emblems, etc. can be found on ebay.co.uk over a given period of time. I spent the time online and found alot of goodies on ebay and found a reliable parts hound in London. I suppose we got lucky and bought a bus that had already been retro-fitted with a more modern Gardner 6LX, a very common engine. Canada loves the DD buses as well, they are the #1 Importer as I understand it.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

There is a double decker bus club here in the US and most owners have chimed in there, but once you have your sources overseas, ever man for himself. When it comes down to really needing a specific part, unless you get lucky, you are going to have to order it overseas. We can get parts delivered in 5-7 days, cargo, 30 days.

The cooling in Alabama has been good so far, there was one instance where the running temp rises about 10degrees when you are at a stand still, this is due to the fact that the engine is in the rear and the radiator is in the front and there is no cooling fan. It uses a thermostatic louver that opens and closes as it warms and uses forced air while driving down the road. I wont knock English engineering, overall this thing is built like a tank, but there is room for 'modification' that would make it even sweeter. Other than that, I have figured out a way to flush the 17gallon cooling system very easily and as long as you keep up with regular maintenance, the beast will go forever. People that are not equipped to change fluids or routine maintenance need to find a good diesel mechanic or commercial diesel shop. Otherwise, you are best served to observe, maintain and routinely check up your fluid levels, tire pressures and brakes. A well oiled machine will go forever, this isn't a 2011 Peterbuilt after all, it's 33 years old. The engine was replaced in the 90's, that helps alot~
Cheers
Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

How high are the ceilings? I'm almost 6'-6" with standard shoes on. Also, how high is it road to roof?

"London buses" are my favorite non-school buses. I figure they have fairly low ceilings. Roof raises? Forgetaboutit. My solution would be to pad the roof with vinyl over foam. Make the head-banging softer.

At this point a Londoner is in the "only if I hit the lotto jackpot" league, but other readers may find the above stats useful.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

that must have beeen alot of red paint but i like it ...cant miss that thing a comin
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Anyone that needs parts for Double Decker's should call George Sinclair of "Sinclair London": England telephone: 011+442-085911778. Fax: 011+442-085-077837
George is a Parts hound for the major bus companies in and around London and exports a lot to Canada. Find your parts through him, expect high shipping costs to send 5-7day turnover. Up to 2 weeks to locate parts and direct balance transfer once the parts are found. He is legitimate and old school...no internet email, etc. We spent around $350 for shipping on brakes and other small parts, but we got what we needed and it was new! George is a lifesaver and I was the first he sold to in the US. Cheers!