Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 40 foot Tandem axle 15 spd RR
Engine: Cummins NHHTO 262HP
1969 Gillig conversion in "progress"

Bus is one of about twelve purchased new by Paramount Studios for conversion to haul grip equipment. I purchased it with 95,000 miles on it. Planning for conversion complete. Most prep work complete. Now, all I need is time. Had more time before retiring!

I see a couple of other Gillig owners here. Would be interested in sharing info.

Joel_Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Re: 1969 Gillig conversion in "progress"

That is my bus. But, that's not me - it is the owner before last. It looks about the same on the outside except I removed the railing from the roof due to leaks. There was also a residential type attic access stairway leading to the roof. The access opening had a sheet metal cover which was off. Rain poured in for a few years. I modified the opening to accommodate a 26x26 vent/escape hatch. The flooring was 1 1/8th inch ply. I have most of it ripped out and replaced with new plywood which is sitting in place. The plan is to do the underfloor work while I can do it from above. That includes servicing the brakes, air suspension, modifying the exhaust and painting - relatively little rust. I have a mechanic lined up for this winter for full service on engine and drive train. In the mean time - if I ever get time I am going to close up all the doors except the double rear doors (it has a 4,000 lift gate) and one side door behind the frig. I plan on using an R&M fiberglass cap the fix the appearance of the front - and make it more aerodynamic. Once the sides and floor are closed in I can start the interior.

I have the shower, toilet, cabinets, wiring, conduit and other odds and ends. I pick up stuff on sale whenever possible. I've already relocated the CB, FM/CD, added new antennas and cleaned up lighting and wiring.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Where did you purchase your bus from? This looks like the perfect RV project. Roof is already raised, lots of options for customizing it, low miles, etc. I wonder how many others like it are out there for sale?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

It is my understanding that only twelve were customized for Paramount. That was in 1969. So, I have no idea how many might be in existence. There are two others that I know of. A friend owns one - and let me know about this one when it was put up for sale by previous owner. Another was spotted in the San Jose CA area a year or two ago. So, the short answer, don't know where you can find one.

It certainly is perfect for conversion. The "box" walls and roof are 3" steel c-channel. The skin in aluminum. The plan is to skin over all doors except for the rear double doors and one side door behind the fridge. Add windows and, as previously metioned, install an R&M fiberglass cap to dress up the front, install some new mirrors and give it a paint job. Should look pretty good. Interior layout will be pretty typical with front parlor, mid galley/bath and rear bedroom with center queen bed. There will be a four and one half foot deep storage area behind the bedroom accessible through the rear double doors and 4000 hydraulic lift gate.

I'll be unavailable for a few days. When I return I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

A friend of mine has a sister bus like that. He lives in Oregon. He has a friend that owns another one but I think he said it was a 45 foot bus. He parks a small SUV in the back. He has a rail lift.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote