Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
New Limo Bus Build

Not a skoolie this time but the Gator bus just wasn't enough to get the bug out of me. Its an 89 Orion transit, 6V92 DDEC and Allison are recent and it runs great. There was a little rust behind some of the panels and since we are building this to sell it, we really wanted to make sure it was done 100% right with no hidden surprises for the next owner. All rust was sandblasted and epoxy primered, body panels replaced, windows all taken out etc etc.

In a nutshell, it will have a mirrored fiber optic strarlit ceiling, tons of color changing RGB LED lighting, a bar, lots of candy painted fiberglass accents etc. More than likely a marble tile floor, faux ostrich leather seating, mutiple TVs, etc.

Anyways, it had an after the fact handicap lift and door which we removed and skinned the bottom and framed for a window to go in place. All windows were removed, window pillar covers removed and replaced, rain channel removed, and all exterior seam sealer on the roof/side transition was blasted out and replaced. One rear body skin had water intrusion behind it so it was replaced. The rear floor was rotted so we removed it all to where it stopped which was a real pain since there is no metal floor below it to get leverage on like a skoolie. The new wood was coated in a rubber paint top and bottom and reinstalled. We just finished skinning the two rear windows also. Pictures are here http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt34 ... s%20Build/ . Ill try to post the progress and it comes together.

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Re: New Limo Bus Build

Curious what your thoughts are about the marble floor-

I'm going to do the same thing and my thinking was that it can't be done in the normal style of a house, because with mortar the natural flexing of the body will just crack it instantly.
I was going to just glue them down with some construction adhesive with no other backer and no mortar, so each tile is independent and can move and flex independantly.
Another thought was to put down hardibacker and then mortar as normal on each individual hardibacker but not in-between.
Do you know anyone that has actually put a tiled stone floor in a bus that moves, and how they did it, and what the results were?
I've looked around and it seems I/we could be the first- I've seen plenty of stationary buses where this was done, but none where the bus actually drives around.
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

It is done alot in RVs, busses and Ive also seen it in limo busses. I read somewhere the other day that one of the larger high end builders uses body filler (bondo) to adhere tile direct to metal on the stairs. Ive read other places of people using a mastic adhesive and others use standard mortor with a flex agent in it. Epoxy grout has been mentioned and the grout that comes in a tube which I believe is essentially sanded colored caulking for the joints. They also make a membrane that isolates the floor and makes your tile floating so to speak. Im not far enough along to have done the research but if I beat you to it I'll let you know what I use.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

It has been awhile but have gotten alot of work done. We have done a TON of body work!! We used the best materials and methods we could do within the budget. All Evercoat fillers using alot of fiberglass short hair and long hair since it is waterproof as well as z grip and polyester glazing putty. Any bodywork was covered in epoxy primer (as well as all aluminum trim etc) and when it was all said and done the bus was sprayed with a 2k urethane surfacing primer and sanded before the basecoat. Nason fulthane single stage (1 gallon) was sprayed on the roof and Dupont base (3 gallons) was sprayed on the rest. 2 gallons was laid and wet sanded and one last gallon was sprayed and Dupont clear (2.5 gallons) was laid wet on the base. It was waaaaaay more work than anticipated but it was all done right and the next owner will have a very long lasting product. Anyhow, the current pictures are below and will followup a little more when it is back together.
You can see alot of pictures here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt34 ... s%20Build/

Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

home done paint job? what kind $$?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Bus Nut

It took alot of materials and prep. 3 months of solid body work with 2 people each working 30-40 hours/week on it. It is quite a bit larger than my skoolie and used alot more paint than anticipated. We spent about $900 in paint materials including the reducer, activators etc not including the body work items. It took a full day to base and clear it.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

The transformation is amazing.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

Just stumbled on this build. I thought some of the pictures of that bus looked familiar. I drive buses in Gainesville, that thing was sitting in the boneyard out back for a long time. On a side note, they're getting ready to auction off all of the Flxibles that were in the fleet, and a number of the older Gilligs as well.
TheDrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Were the Orions any good? It runs and drives great but leaked alot. I'll keep a look out for the other busses. Anyones that you think I should stay away from?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrip
On a side note, they're getting ready to auction off all of the Flxibles ...
Oh how I wish I could be there to get one of those!!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #11

All the 960s (flxibles) drive decent. They all leak in the header area, and they're absolute dogs off the line. The gilligs really depend on the exact bus. I don't know which of those is being auctioned yet. As for the Orion 1s, they were already out of service when I started. Most complaints I've heard are about the wheelchair lift.
TheDrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: City Bird
Engine: DT570
Rated Cap: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoo
It is done alot in RVs, busses and Ive also seen it in limo busses. ... Epoxy grout has been mentioned and the grout that comes in a tube which I believe is essentially sanded colored caulking for the joints. They also make a membrane that isolates the floor and makes your tile floating so to speak. Im not far enough along to have done the research but if I beat you to it I'll let you know what I use.
When I ripped out the old tile out of JBIV, I used backerboard (used in wet areas in homes) screwed (SST screws) to the existig 3/4 subfloor. For the adhesive, I used a transportation-grade adhesive from the Bostik line of products: 2200TS. For the "grout" I used Bostik's 940FS. Before I used the 200TS, I tested it on a backerboard first with the tile I wanted to use. Let it cure, then tested how "easy" it was to remove the tile. It wouldn't come off with a crowbar. The bond between the tile and backerboard was stronger than the backboard itself. It is critical to use a good trowel to smooth the adhesive out for good contact. I used a 1/8" v-trowel I think.
skylinelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

LED rope lighting is coming down in price but still kinda up there. I believe JBIV has incandescents and I want to replace them soon. The best price per linear foot that I've found recently @ $3.85/ft is at a limo supply house called www.mtgparts.com. They are one of two major suppliers to the limousine industry so they probably are first in line with volume discounts from the manufacturer. www.infiniteinnovations.com is the other supplier. Same price but worth to know if one or the other has it on backorder.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

In your original post, you mentioned color changing LED. There are color changing LEDs out there, but a color-changing fiber optic system will probably do you just fine, unless you are going for brightness. In which case, color changing LED strips are in order for an increase in price. I've been inside this "bus": http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/02/us-sta ... ide_2.html. It had color-changing LEDs in it (and they are impressive), but they are pricey.