Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71
The smell of fuel...

I have had an issue with my bus I'd like to get some advice/help with.

Every time the heat rises, say 80's, I smell gas vapors escaping from the fuel tank. I am not sure exactly where to begin looking, but I suspect my vapor recovery system may be faulty. I have no fuel leak, and no major loss of fuel from this issue. It's more of a nuisance-safety-preventive measure I'd like to fix, but have no clue what I'm looking for.

The lines look good. No other visible issues. I don't "top off", the gas tank looks fine, gas cap is in good order.

Any ideas where to begin?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: The smell of fuel...

I think your right on track with your reasoning. I would not go by the "look" of hoses. I have dealt with plenty of old cars where the fuel hoses looked fine but they are not. I would disconnect one like and plug one end and hit it with some high pressure air to see if it leaks or not. Depending on the cost I would just go ahead and replace them. Sooner or later you will need to.

Just food for thought.

Hope it helps
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote