Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

HELP .Crown ?s

hey guys im looking at a crown with a DD motor and an auto trans what tranny would that be and is the motor 6v1? god im a newb any info pros cons would be greatly appreciated

Lord-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: HELP .Crown ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Maniac
hey guys im looking at a crown with a DD motor and an auto trans what tranny would that be and is the motor 6v1? god im a newb any info pros cons would be greatly appreciated
There are multiple options. There is a plate on the transmission that will say the transmission model. There may also be a plate inside the bus that says the transmission model. You should ask the seller or if your going to see it go and look for yourself.
Jake
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

ok great thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

The engine would be a 6-71.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

i know someone who is trying to sell me a 1989crown with 5000 miles on a rebuild and a new head there asking around 15 g for it ? any thoughts Midship DD with auto trans
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Awful lot of money.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

ya i know it seems the crowns have spiked in price over the last few months im thinking of going to look at it tomorrow i don't want to spend 15k but it just came of the line and new motor rebuild ca 292 card was picking up kids a week ago ? seems tempting to at least look and counter offer i think ...what do you guys think feel free to chime in .. lol
Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

A rebuild means nothing unless there is paperwork to go with it. There were a few Crowns in CA that were going cheap, that would be the ticket.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91

2-3 weeks ago I was talking to a nice couple looking for a Crown and they mentioned something about a 6-71 powered
Crown with supposedly a new head on it and just coming from a private school, and they also said something about a
recent 292 card in it and how totally cool that was and showed how nice the bus had to be....right? They also said the
high pressure sales guy was fixed on $15k and if they didn't take it right now he could sell it to any other company in the
next 15 minutes. This language is too similar to be a coincidence. It has to be the same bus and sales guy.

Does this sound like the bus you saw?? Was it in Fontana??? They also saw it was dripping oil and I said it could be totally
trashed and still pass the CHP inspection (the 292 card) as long as the oil was cleaned off before he got there. Of course
any kind of engine work isn't worth whatever was paid unless the mechanic knows what he's doing and the work was done
right. Sounds like just another used bus salesman pressuring to sell a pig in a poke. The bottom line seems to be that
whoever owned that Crown and was using it in school service had to know something bad about it or they would never have
gotten rid of it. Ever. No operator ever parts with a useable Crown unless there are massive expenses coming down the pike,
especially if it happens to be currently CHP certified, and DMV registered?? You get the picture right? It could be anything
but at $15k anything at all is too much. At that price it better have great tires and brakes, and go another 200k miles
without any major mechanical issues, which any decent Crown can easily do. That's what they're built to do.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote