Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Re: Request Info on 4x4 bus drivetrains

It is expensive to have a shop convert a two wheel drive to four wheel drive, but it is not rocket science - a conventional skoolie can be converted with a five inch lift to keep it all level - this lift can be suspension or frame extensions. That is pricey to have done but not impossible to do. Adding the transfer case to a conventional is very easy..

A pusher is outside my experience, but should not be impossible - ask in a year or two and I will tell you how I did it to my bus..

norwetbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwetbus
It is expensive to have a shop convert a two wheel drive to four wheel drive, but it is not rocket science - a conventional skoolie can be converted with a five inch lift to keep it all level - this lift can be suspension or frame extensions. That is pricey to have done but not impossible to do. Adding the transfer case to a conventional is very easy..

A pusher is outside my experience, but should not be impossible - ask in a year or two and I will tell you how I did it to my bus..
A pusher holy helluva long front driveshaft and the rear?????? Yoke to yoke with no shaft just a ujoint
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieNut
while I would like the extra room, I do not like driving pushers.

I know its backwards, but I feel more secure with a front end out there to aim with preferably with a nice bumper lol

I guess thinking about it that rules out 40 footers, but I dont want to go down to a shortie just to get easy 4x4. But I would feel a lot better having 4x4 on my big bus, than expecting just 1 tire to push all that weight under some boondocking situations.

that ebay 4x4 amtram was 3 grand when I saw and next day was gone.
few busses have just one tire to push all the weight. In fact, if you find one, you probably need to add at least one wheel... and in most cases you would want to add 3, unless you have a crown, eagle, and so on and you may have to add even more than that...

I would probably steer clear of busses for sale that only had one tire... just saying fwiw...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Are you looking for an expedition vehicle? If so, you might want to look a medium duty truck that's 4wd instead of trying to find a 4wd bus. I think 4wd buses are more rare than hens teeth.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I've seen 4wd buses in Colorado, You might want to check some of the western states.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

If you get an air locker, and a side to side brake separation valve and controllers, you can make a 2wd vehicle behave very well in the rough. I have a Mack truck with that configuration that we used on a pipeline job in Northern Nevada a couple of winters ago - it worked better than the contractor's 4wd International trucks. The idea is that if you have the locker and get slipping before you can engage it, hit the brake on the slipping side, and the other side will pull you out, then when both are turning again, you hit the locker. A moderately aggressive tire on the drive wheels will get you out of pretty muddy ground or 3ft deep snow. Fitting such an arrangement to a skoolie would be very easy. I will be going that route with my new bus, before I figure out how to do the 4wd.
norwetbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

good luck,they do come up for sale every so often...Build it how you see fit....ZomBus.....hell why not?
I will see you South of the border when the time comes....I will be painting pictures of nakid girls on old hub caps for beer and taco money...stop by
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #8

I said medium duty not medium size. That's what a full size bus is. Unless you have a huge bankroll, you'd better start saving up. Good luck with your zombie mobile.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I thought about converting mine to 4x4. I did some measuring around a 2 1/2 ton military 6x6. From the spring hangers down, the whole front end would roll right under my bus and weld up. The rear is easy of course. The 6 by's have a big divorced transfer case so the stock transmission would work. There are plenty of scrapped 6 by carcasses around for parts. They make lockers and alloy shafts for the 2 1/2 ton rockwell axles in the 6 by's.

That being said, I would rather seek out a bus that had a rear end someone builds a locker for and or automatic tire chains.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Skoolie

want. got a link? found it. wow. I wonder how wide it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
Found one for you.

Rich
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #11

Is the 5k for the 4wd bus or 15k for the 4wd bus. The last 4wd bus I saw sold for over 25 large.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Is the 5k for the 4wd bus or 15k for the 4wd bus. The last 4wd bus I saw sold for over 25 large.
Was that awesome white outwest cali I think?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Was that awesome white outwest cali I think?

Yes and it was a gasser.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieNut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hdLJTCOW1zQ]

Interesting heavy offroad trials clip I saw on the net...

If you try that with a bus I promise you will end up on your head. If I drive over a pencil it feels like I'm going to roll.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #15

I think it's because of my air ride suspension. I might try to find a sway bar.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

Whilst cruising on YouTube I found a short clip about that bus/train on the first page.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

Scarry. Pinion brakes are not safe on the highway, not with a rig that big anyway. Unless his rear steer can be pinned for road use, I say that's a bad idea also. The front lift blocks are stacked and look suspiciously like 2x4s. You know that isn't 4wd right? The jacked up buses look like a fun toy, but I would discourage you if you are wanting to actually use the thing on the road. This is coming from someone who built a 2 1/2 ton rockwelled suburban on 1600x20's, the tire on that bus. I considered building a bus like that for a toy, but I wouldn't want to drive it to where I wheel, and trailering it presents a whole list of pains in the ass. Not to mention, it wouldn't fit down many trails and they really aren't capable off road, and what is it going to take to pull you out when you get stuck?

There are positives, getting the tires to fit is a sinch, the vehicle is strong enough to handle the tire size. The next tire size down, 1400x20 would fit on my bus with just fender trimming. If 4x4, you could make the brakes from the 6x6 work. The steering on the bus could handle the larger tires and probably wouldn't take much modification.

You might consider a bus that still has the older 20 inch rims and sawzall a set of 1400x20's on it. If you don't know already, that tire, and the ones in the link are military surplus. They can often be bought cheap as surplus from farm related tire stores. Don't skimp on them if you want to drive it on the road, find ones that look like new, they're out there.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBusYet
FOUND ONE!

$10,500. Its a shortie IH, but its factory 4x4.

http://www.busesonline.com/view-listing ... ing_id=910

That's cool. Would make a great expo rig.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

As has already been pointed out, using parts from an ex-military 2.5 or 5 ton truck is probably your best bet. The front end will be interesting though. It will be very difficult to keep the oil pan and differential from trying to occupy the same space. You could have a lot of down-travel in the suspension, but that doesn't do you a ton of good. 4wd doesn't do you any good if the bus is too tall to be usable.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Newbienut;
I haven't a clue about 4x4, but you mentioned water. Check out Lifestraw, their large scale isn't in production yet but their single units looks very promising for clean water.
And I hear you on your Zombus concept. We are aiming for the same idea - Safe & sustainable. Doesn't matter what kind of bus we get, my fiancée wants a cow pusher on the front, liftable steel tilt slats over the windows and as much fresh water and back up power as we can haul.
The plan is for long term bondocking (and a good exit strategy) so please keep us updated on your bus situation.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote