Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What is your familiarity/opinion/usage level of Facebook?
Use it so much that someone's bound to report me as a missing person. 8 10.26%
Faithful user and I make sure my profile is up to date. 10 12.82%
I dabble in it but often fall behind. 19 24.36%
I know what it is, but haven't checked it out. 2 2.56%
Facebook? Isn't that what police keep mugshots in? 2 2.56%
I'm not interested in it. 10 12.82%
Who needs Facebook when we've got Skoolie.net? 10 12.82%
Hate it with a passion! 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Friend or foe of Facebook?

My pet peeve is entities that require the use of Facebook to submit comments or contest entries. At first I simply was uninterested in joining F-book or Twitter; now it's active resistance.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Friend or foe of Facebook?

As much as a nuisance it is, its one of the best business tools out there.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I have an account but don't remember what it is. Many of the "hot doggers" (food vendors) use it to pump up their business. To be honest, I have too much to do to get involved with another computer thing right now. Besides what would I blog/post about. I'm boring, David is boring, We lead boring lives, doing boring things. Besides, I need to get the bus finished to the point we can move into it and then we need to work on the food cart a little more (water heater, new countertop, build a vent hood for the burner/griddle) and shift over to Roswell (NM... not too far away but far more people)... make some $$, get David healthy enough to be able to move back to the South (considering Cajun Country in Louisiana). I want to be someplace where it rains and they know how to make iced tea, biscuits and grits!

I think I'm allergic to New Mexico... when the wind and dust starts blowing bad, I get sick.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

sometimes i find myself addicted to it... i stopped playing games on fb and its lessened the addiction some.. darn farmville cityville lifeville and anyother ville!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

ah geocities. i remember when that was a hot thing in the 90's. i think i had one. now if it worked or not thats another thing
Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Then there is the new Google one:http://plus.google.com
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

yay marketing!! lol
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I have my Facebook up pretty much all day while at work. It helps kill time when I'm waiting on a customer to carry out instructions like "OK, now hook your keyboard up to your point of sale."

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Bus Nut

A new commericial for the Toyota Venza rankles me: a girl complains about older people being "antisocial" and boasts about how she persuaded her parents to join Facebook and now there's hope for them.

C'mon, this is America; we have the liberty to use Facebook (Twitter, Skype, whatever...) all we want - or avoid it at all costs.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

i have 12 hour days at work, and internet, and im my own boss... so ya i get bored lol
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

i saws this thread and was like "new post!?" lol and then i see its mine and now i see "Last bumped by Skunky Bus on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 am." what the heck is bumping?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I think even less of it now. It is potentially dangerous. Recently another hot dogger had some nut case get on to him because his cart is "competition" for this nut cases Brix-&-Mortar restaurant (also sells hot dogs a few miles away). Nut case posts a nasty message on the doggers facebook page. Then nut case shows up and starts harassing doggers brother and then starts in on the customers before leaving. THREE DAYS LATER.... Health Dept shows up looks around and finally tells the dogger he is in violation of some ordinances (he had table, chairs and canopy sitting beside his cart for customers to sit at). Makes some comments about the doggers facebook page and then shuts him down for being in violation (sink didn't have the wing type of handles like in a doctors office... accepted food service practice is you turn them off with a paper towel)). All this was done verbally which isn't legal. But they had to shut down immediately. The dogger has "unpublished" his facebook page. This was in WI. WI Health Dept (like a lot of other places) do not like food carts and would like to get rid of them.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

ow.. thats definitely harassment though..
Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
i saws this thread and was like "new post!?" lol and then i see its mine and now i see "Last bumped by Skunky Bus on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 am." what the heck is bumping?
Bumping is an option (for your own topics only) that appears near the very bottom of the web page that lets you put older topics up at the top so people (especially newcomers) can see and respond to it. I use it on polls occasionally to get more input. Also useful for when nobody answers your topic inquiry and it disappears from the first page of the forum index.

Lorna - that's too bad about your friend in Wisconsin. Another reason to "unfriend" the whole concept (Facebook, that is, not hotdog carts).
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

ah.

well if anyone is interested, https://www.facebook.com/The.Stuff
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

I dislike it first because of privacy issues. Not that it isn't hard to track down people on the internet without using Facebook. The last I knew, Facebook asks for so much personal information at sign-up that you would think you were applying for a mortgage, not asking to post/exchange information. And I believe that they are more than willing to share whatever you tell them with anyone who asks.

But what would raise my opinion from "ignore" or "dislike" to "hate" is what Facebook widgets on websites do to browsers. I have found in both Internet Explorer and Firefox that on occasion, the "Back" navigation button does not work. When I pull up a history list of the websites recently visited, the previous pages are the current page with a Facebook tag on them. I have to click further down on the history in order to successfully navigate "back." If I only keep clicking "back," I wind up in an endless loop on the current web page, probably caused by the presence of a "Like" button.

I do not get the focus on counting Facebook "likes" or SiteMeter hits. If I have information to put out, there it is, take it or leave it.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
I dislike it first because of privacy issues. Not that it isn't hard to track down people on the internet without using Facebook. The last I knew, Facebook asks for so much personal information at sign-up that you would think you were applying for a mortgage, not asking to post/exchange information. And I believe that they are more than willing to share whatever you tell them with anyone who asks.
lol noone said you have to put accurate information in there :P
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
lol noone said you have to put accurate information in there :P
Some jurisdictions consider bringing charges of "False Personation" if they are looking for a reason to get you, and find out you used a fictitious name or other information when signing up. And the Facebook brass have publicly requested laws be passed requiring positive personal identification of anyone using any internet service (like theirs).

And if the information you do use happens to match a real person other than yourself, the "can't take a joke" folks have been known to make "Identity Theft" arrests on occasion. It ain't worth the risk to fool around anymore, at least not to me.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Back when the Internet was becoming popular, I observed with fascination this part of world history unfold, when most every major entity's name one after another began sporting "www.whatever.com/org/gov/edu/etc." I tend to think of very old people as living history books who have lots of fun stuff to tell about days long before me. If there's anything for me to look forward to about getting old, that's a major one.

Big difference (IMO) between having to use a regular Web page to access company information or communicate with someone vs. Facebook, is that one can access the Web by way of hundreds of internet service providers (AOL, Cox, CenturyLink, etc.) over several platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux...even smartphones). Facebook is...well, Facebook. So it bugs me when the only way to access special offers, contests, yada yada, is by way of Facebook!!

FB reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek: "Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated." At least the Borg is fictitious.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I have facebook opened up on my smart phone as I'm typing this on the laptop...

I use FB a lot... Most people in my circle are on it and we communicate and share using it... Never played any of the games and don't sign up for any special offers...

Most of the events, get-togethers and birthday parties(children and adults) are all organized on FB... I haven't been to a birthday party in over a year that wasn't posted on FB...

As far as "bump" goes, on most forums you reply to your for sale thread with "bump" to get it back to the top...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote