Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Skoolie

Chevy 366 hop up

I have a Chevy 366 engine in my bus the power is ok at 0 to 2000' on flat land but when you get into hills and over 2500-3000' it falls on its face.

Anybody ever tried to mod these engines I dont want a race engine just looking to pep it up a little, 50 more ft lbs torque would be nice..

My thoughts was to start with a megasquirt setup http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html once I get that dialed in start calling cam mfg's to see if they have a better cam profile that will help.

It already has the factory tube headers...

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Skoolie

hoser, what is that 366 chev engine, a big block or a small block. its either a bored out small block or a industrial big block. my guess its a industrial big block. you could get a big block out of some earlier chev trucks or chevelles- cameros-ect. i had a old 78 chev 3/4 ton truck that had a 454 big block in it with headers and it had lots of power. if it is a big block, why wouldnt 454 parts fit on it ????? the older ones were 396-427 c.i. theres tons of parts for those things in JEGS and mags like that. that 366 might be just a detuned big block- i m not sure. some other gearheads on this site could probably tell you. just my 2 cents, john
westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Re: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by westport_wayne
hoser, what is that 366 chev engine, a big block or a small block. its either a bored out small block or a industrial big block. my guess its a industrial big block. you could get a big block out of some earlier chev trucks or chevelles- cameros-ect. i had a old 78 chev 3/4 ton truck that had a 454 big block in it with headers and it had lots of power. if it is a big block, why wouldnt 454 parts fit on it ????? the older ones were 396-427 c.i. theres tons of parts for those things in JEGS and mags like that. that 366 might be just a detuned big block- i m not sure. some other gearheads on this site could probably tell you. just my 2 cents, john
Its a big block like the 427 tall deck, its a industrial big block, the 454 out of a pickup truck is not the same engine as the 454 put into 20k GVW trucks or big motor homes, they are a industrial version, I dont know if a 454 from a truck would last under the same conditions I am using the 366 for right now, hauling 15k lbs all the time, running WOT up long grades etc. about as deep into this engine I care to go would be changing the cam, no porting changing pistons, boring etc.

No offense but most gear heads just want to spend 15k bux on a engine and call the 366 a boat anchor, the standard answer is to buy a 502 BB crate engine, in short they are no help most just regurgitate what a vendor has told them or what their buddy's spew, bar talk and keyboard bench racersfor the most part, none I have talked to have ever owned a 366 yet have plenty of bad things to say about it and no realistic ideas to help me other than spending huge ammounts of money, I dont need advice on that I could buy a crate engine and drop in but whats the fun in doing that IMO, so far form what I have seen out of this engine (366) its perfect but like most 80's GM engines it is lacking about 75ft lbs of torque, I think adding 50ft lbs of honest torque would answer my lack of power problems... EFI would help in the higher elevations with using fuel that is not needed and maybe make a little more power than the installed Holley square bore carb.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Eaqsy engine solution

Go get a Cummins engine. What ya need is torque not RPM. Good diesel engines are available everywhere and a lot les money that building a gasser. About all diesel powered vehicles command more money than a gasser. Look around, you may find the perfect cheap diesel. Once ya have a diesel nothing is the same. Your engine may be worth some money to a farmer. There are lots od diesel engines to choose. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Skoolie

Re: Eaqsy engine solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
Go get a Cummins engine. What ya need is torque not RPM. Good diesel engines are available everywhere and a lot les money that building a gasser. About all diesel powered vehicles command more money than a gasser. Look around, you may find the perfect cheap diesel. Once ya have a diesel nothing is the same. Your engine may be worth some money to a farmer. There are lots od diesel engines to choose. Frank
I ONLY want info on the 366!!!!!! I know about diesels already I have owned a few.

I guess I need to emphasize STRONGER what I want to do, I will have to think about this for a while I thought I made it pretty clear with my first post, for now I guess all I can say is if you don't know anything about a 366 and how to sensibly add more torque then DON'T REPLY.

AGAIN I am working on a Chevy 366 GASOLINE ENGINE I have NO intrest in installing ANOTHER ENGINE I ONLY want to MODIFY the CURRENT engine.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Get a grip

Maybe you need lots of mental help. Keep yourself kool. I can appreciate you want to do it your way. Ya better just go buy the Chevy Crate engine. Hot rod engines are not designed to pull big heavy loads. Ya gotta go for a diesel or lots of cubic inches. There is no substitution for cubic displacement. I have a bit of automotive background. I'm an old guy 68 years and there is wisdom with age. I was a Chevy/GM dealer mechanic 12 years, had a shop doing hop up and resto work, some fabrication, taught welding and finally was a contractor for about 30 years, I hope I can keep up to your mechanical words.
Quick story.. A young new bus owner and a few old farts were talking about buses. The old guys were Greyhound mechanics for many years. The young guy said he was gonna rip out his bus's DD 2 stroke because it only produced 240HP, and 2 stroke engines are a boat anchor. He said he was gonna build a big bad balls to the wall, stump puller 580 cu in with a turbo. Old guy says wow, how much HP and how much money. Young guy says about 550HP and $17K. Old guy says, very impressive, how much torque? Kid says about 450 pounds torque at 6500RPM. Old guy says a DD 8.71 makes about 1750 pounds at 2200RPM. The clutch will not take the RPM especially when trying to get moving. Nope, I was not the old guy. This story is about 15 years old. Be well and demonstrate some control. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Skoolie

Re: Get a grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
Maybe you need lots of mental help. Keep yourself kool. I can appreciate you want to do it your way. Ya better just go buy the Chevy Crate engine. Hot rod engines are not designed to pull big heavy loads. Ya gotta go for a ndiesel or lots of cubic inches. There is no substitution for cubic displacement. I have a bit of autiomotive background. I'm an old guy 68 years and there is wisdom with age. I was a Chevy/GM dealer mechanic 12 years, had a shop doing hop up and resto work, some fabrication, taught welding and finally was a contractor for about 30 years, I hope I can keep up to your mechanical words.
Quick story.. A young new bus owner and a few old farts were talking about buses. The old guys were Greyhound mechanics for many years. The young guy said he was gonna rip out his bus's DD 2 stroke because it only produced 240HP, and 2 stroke engines are a boat anchor. He said he was gonna build a big bad balls to the wall, stump puller 580 cu in with a turbo. Old guy says wow, how much HP and how much money. Young guy says about 550HP and $17K. Old guy says, very impressive, how much torque? Kid says about 450 pounds torque at 6500RPM. Old guy says a DD 8.71 makes about 1750 pounds at 2200RPM. The clutch will not take the RPM especially when trying to get moving. Nope, I was not the old guy. This story is about 15 years old. Be well and demonstrate some control. Frank
Agian I know about diesels and dont need a lesson or to hear war stories from someone that can only give an answer "buy a diesel"

I have a GAS 366 this is what GM installed new in my bus and in hundreds of thousands of HD trucks for about 30 years.

AGAIN if you dont know ANYTHING about adding torque to a 366 simply DONT REPLY I would think a guy with all your wrenching experiance as you boast would have been able to answer my question and SPARE us the diesel speel for another post.

Maybe a moderator can clean up this post and remove all the NON 366 info?

AGAIN I want info that ONLY relates to the 366 chevy SPARE US all the war stories that DONT APPLY TO the 366 GAS GM ENGINE if you FEEL the need to tell mechanic war stories I am all for it and would LOVE to read them but go start another thread and start typing!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Start at the waste end (exhaust) and move up. Use larger diamter pipes if they are not already there, then a better flowing muffler, then hedders. After that try low rpm hi torqu cam from Eddlebrock (RV Cam). By now you have probly picked up 15-25% more torqu. Also consider your ignition, msd HEI unit, good plugs and wires. This all together could be gotten for less than 5 bills, and you would be happy with the results, plus this is all shade tree mechanic stuff. my $.02
himem777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The 366 is not at all balanced so RPM's should be kept down, but all the internals are forged and in fact are somewhat sought after as cheap mud racing rotating assemblies. What limits that motor the most are the tiny so called "peanut ports" on the heads. Off the top of my head I don't know of a direct fit replacement for those tall decks (atleast not in the "affordable" range), but I know several people that build chevy race motors so I will find out what I can.

For the time being you might want to get out the dremel and port and polish those heads. That should help a little. A new intake, while not terribly easy to find for the tall deck motors, will help as well, but again you're limited by those ports. Himem was right about the exhaust side of it as well. There is lots of potential in that motor if you can just get it to breathe. I would hold off on the cam until you get a good set of heads as your flow will dictate what cam you get. Lots of cam manufacturers will custom grind you whatever you need for only slightly more than an "off the shelf" cam. Just be ready with all your specs. Cam grinding is half art, half science. I've had good luck with Schnieder cams in the past, but anyone will do.

That's all I have for now. I will get on finding some heads (hopefully) for you tomorrow. It really is too bad it isn't as easy as throwing on some 906 casting Vortec heads like the small blocks
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Skoolie

Thanks for the info guys this is the type of discussion I been looking for.

Peanut ports, I have heard the "peanut ports" thing many times over the years long before I ever owned a 366 but nobody has ever provided me with any flow data, I am not a engine builder but have a gut feeling the "peanut ports" 'thing' was generated by BB guys trying to compare a 366 cu engine to a 454 engine and larger, sure on a 454 they would be small and wouldn't flow, personally I don't compare the 366 to a big block I compare it to a small block IMO you need to compare the cubic inches not the physical size of the engines, if someone has some flow data to support this "peanut ports" 'thing' I sure would like to see it, I know flow is a mathematical calculation so far all I have seen is pictures and guys telling me they "look too small" these "peanut ports" smaller than whats found on the SB400 or SB350? I know the valves on the 366 are bigger than what was put on the SB 350 and SB400, I remember when reading the valve sizes I thought the SB guys would love to have valves that big in their heads, I have only heard the ports on these engines were too small by guys looking to make 500+ HP and guys that frequent the big block sites.

Now if the ports in the 366 heads are in fact too small to support the HP the engine came from the factory and truly are the limiting factor to any real gains for THE 366 ENGINE not "BIG BLOCKS" in general my guess is the first thing I need to purchase is some sort of forced induction to over come the poor intake design, no use in me throwing a bunch of money in parts and services into the engine until the intake restrictions if they do exist are over come ?

So if forced induction in the long run would be the best way to make more power, the biggest bang for the buck I assume a turbo would be the way to go since you can easier adjust the amount of boost you want to push, after taking a trip with my bus and going from 600' in elevation to over 6000' and feeling the affects of less air on this engine I assume a good starting point for boost would be 1 psi or less, on flat land at 100' no wind I don't see a need for more power...

Any turbo guys here who have installed turbos before? Keep in mind this is a BUS problems like "turbo lag" wont be a issue on my application it takes me 2 miles to get up to hwy speeds so waiting 20 seconds for the turbo to build boost is not a issue hehe cheap, simple, easy, reliable would be more what I am looking for.

Porting, I know their are great gains to be had from proper porting but I am not pulling the heads off this engine or getting to deep into the internals if I am going to do that I might as well do a engine swap and find a 454 out of a RV to install.

I guess I need to call some of the cam mfg.s to see what they have to offer in the way of a cam?

the_experience03 I would like to hear about different heads mainly because who ever offers them would probably know more about this engine or have some experience modifying one for more torque, all the mechanics I have talk to about the 366 only changed failed parts on them and have done routine maintenance.

Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Many 454's (even most) had peanut-port heads...they're not BAD, but nowhere near as good as the oval- or (best) rectangle-port heads. Stock peanut-ports will support 425+HP on a 454, & over 500 when ported. The 366's biggest problem is its small bore (smaller, IIRC, than a SB 327/350), which severly limits valve size due to shrouding (I'd expect the heads to be different than the 427/454 for this reason). For small-blocks, the 305 has the same inherent limitation, as does Ford's medium-truck 370.

The 366 is a small-bore version of the tall-deck 427 big-block. The easiest thing would be replace the 366 with a high-torque 502 crate engine...not cheap, but I drove one before & after in a C-60 box truck--WOW! It had more guts loaded to the roof than the 366 had empty.

Other than that...is it a 2bbl? If so, try a 4bbl, a Q-jet would probably be best. Ditch the stock muffler for a high-flowing exhaust system. For intakes, I think a regular BB intake fits with spacers (Moroso makes them). Then again, tall-deck 427's are highly prized by hot-rodders to build strokers (taller deck means a longer-stroke crank fits without funky grinding), so intakes are out there (though most are high-RPM pieces). Heck, I sold a tall-deck 427 (from a C-50 dump truck) a couple months ago to a guy with an El Camino...by now, I think it's a 557ci stroker. (He won't be using peanut-port heads, I'm guessing. )

Unfortunately, the people saying the 366 has no potential aren't far off the mark. That's why my bus, originally 370-powered, now has a 460.

And for the record: a 454 is a TOUGH engine.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Forced induction....I think an 8-71 Weiand coming out of the hood would look pretty cool

If you could get to a 100% volumetric efficiency I think the power gain would be amazing. Engines are just not all that efficient. Most normally aspirated engines would be lucky to hit an 85% volumetic efficiency. That's like having an entire cylinder on a small block not doing anything! A manifold vacuum gauge would do wonders. They are only like $20-30 and will tell you just how bad things are. They even help with mileage because they serve as a constant reminder. More vacuum means more economy (and less performance). That may be a good starting point for you if forced induction is the way you want to go.

Things to consider when doing forced induction:

The carb will have to be tuned properly. Unfortunately they meter fuel linearly based on volume, not on density/mass which is what a blower really needs. This just means that with big boost (which you won't have) will either idle nicely and lean out on the top or idle poorly, but be jetted correctly on the top end. A predator carb might be a good option here.

The boost will be limited by uor fuel pressure. If the boost is higher than the say 5 psi your fuel is coming in at, the needles in the carb won't be able to open and let gas in! Fortunately there are boost referenced fuel pressure regulators IF you were to run into that problem.

You MAY have to run premium fuel to prevent knocking. With the boost levels you'd be looking at I think you're probably ok on 87 octane.

Lower compression ratios are a blower's friend. When you take the heads off to port them (because you're going to whether you want to or not) you could just put on a thicker QUALITY head gasket which will help out on that end. Industrial motors don't generally have high compression anyway.

You may have to upgrade the ignition to throw a hotter spark. MSD boxes (or similar multispark ignition boxes) can be had for cheap on eBay and will do wonders either way. They are also easy to wire in. A 6AL is the hottest I'd go.

Turbos require some sort of plumbing for the air. Superchargers need a mechanical drive. A supercharger would be better in this application in my opinion, but either would work. Just decide what kind of fabrication you're more comfortable with.

There's more to it than that, but that's a good starting point. If you'd like to read up on heads a good starting point will be this site.

http://www.mortec.com
Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Oh yeah...one more thought. If all this is too much and you do decide to swap motors, I say to hell with a big crate motor. Find yourself an old cadillac with a 500ci monster V-8. These things were designed to pull land yachts around and have A LOT or power right out of the box with potential for more on top of that. Most can be had for a steal. I personally know of one for only $400 that runs right now. Did I mention that with an aluminum intake and aluminum heads these things weigh LESS than a small block chevy due to their high nickel content block? The block has basically the same composition as the "bowtie blocks" chevy sells as a base for hi-po race motors.

Outputs varied, but 500+ ft lbs of torque was the norm. If you'd like to read up on them as well, MTS has a decent site with a forum on it.

http://www.500cid.com

They have a special right now for a zero decked 500 with forged rods, Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, etc etc etc for only $2850+core and shipping. That's about the same price as a decent small block out of Summit or Jegs
Old 07-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
Skoolie

Thanks for the info I think any forced induction project will be started with the addition of a megasquirt setup http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html the latest version taps into the HEI and allows you to play with timing on the fly.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Ok....THAT is cool I was working on an analog fuel injection system for a friend of mine to use on a turbocharged opposed twin briggs and stratton racing mower (outlaw class, baby) since a pair of flatslide mikuni's wasn't keeping up. Unfortunately I ran into problems with advance curves, etc. I think I might make him look into this megasquirt system. Btw...that mower is capable of over 70 mph and gets there plenty quick
Old 07-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Oh yeah...one more thought. If all this is too much and you do decide to swap motors, I say to hell with a big crate motor. Find yourself an old cadillac with a 500ci monster V-8. These things were designed to pull land yachts around and have A LOT or power right out of the box with potential for more on top of that. Most can be had for a steal. I personally know of one for only $400 that runs right now. Did I mention that with an aluminum intake and aluminum heads these things weigh LESS than a small block chevy due to their high nickel content block? The block has basically the same composition as the "bowtie blocks" chevy sells as a base for hi-po race motors.

Outputs varied, but 500+ ft lbs of torque was the norm. If you'd like to read up on them as well, MTS has a decent site with a forum on it.

http://www.500cid.com

They have a special right now for a zero decked 500 with forged rods, Keith Black hypereutectic pistons, etc etc etc for only $2850+core and shipping. That's about the same price as a decent small block out of Summit or Jegs
The problem being, the Cad 500 isn't a good MDT engine. It can't handle sustained high RPM's--many buses run 3000+ on the highway, which resultes in excessive piston speeds on the very-long-stroke 500. The bore & stroke are 4.30" (square engine), longer than even a 454/502 Chevy. I love the Caddy engines (I drive a 79 Coupe de Ville with a 500+HP 542ci stroker), but they're not at all suitable for a bus.

Also, the aluminum heads will run you over $2000, and I think they require a different intake. Plus, the stock closed-chamber (1968-71) heads are VERY good, able to support 450+HP with no more than a good valve job & roller rockers.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Careful here guys, he only wants info on the 366. He clearly stated that as he ripped frank a new one for suggesting a diesel engine swap.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #18
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I can feel OP's frustration ... nothing more exasperating than posting "Does anybody here know anything about xyz" and getting a slough of responses of "abc is (...thus and so...), you can google xyz".
It's not that Frank's reply didn't contain good information, it was just not responsive and OP has probably heard that 'party line' response more times than he's cared to.
Possibly we could have a section on the board "Answers I have to questions that haven't been asked and I feel the need to type" or something and people could just go there when they feel the need.
You expect a thread to drift, just not starting at the second post.

Couldn't resist neither ..
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
Bus Nut

So it appears that the consensus is: swap the 366 for anything else. But sounds like our guy doesn't want to so the question is how to hop up the 366. However.....since most everyone swaps it out or rebuilds it stock, probably not going to get much first hand advice. My two cents: find an adventurous engine builder and be the first one to build a big horsepower 366 skoolie engine. If someone can show us how to do it for decent $$$, they'll be a skoolie hero (WOW, who wouldn't want to be a SKOOLIE HERO!) as there are a lot of 366 buses out there for cheap.

Next argumentative topic: How can I hop up my 392 IHC without swapping,

I said, I don't want to swap it.

NO, I'm not swapping it out.

Can't we all just get along?
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis441
So it appears that the consensus is: swap the 366 for anything else. But sounds like our guy doesn't want to so the question is how to hop up the 366. However.....since most everyone swaps it out or rebuilds it stock, probably not going to get much first hand advice. My two cents: find an adventurous engine builder and be the first one to build a big horsepower 366 skoolie engine. If someone can show us how to do it for decent $$$, they'll be a skoolie hero (WOW, who wouldn't want to be a SKOOLIE HERO!) as there are a lot of 366 buses out there for cheap.

Next argumentative topic: How can I hop up my 392 IHC without swapping,

I said, I don't want to swap it.

NO, I'm not swapping it out.

Can't we all just get along?
Right, nobody tries to beef up the 366 cant find any 'smart' engine builders just finding guys with the "install a 502" answers like I am not smart enough to think of a engine swap or installing a diesel myself, I made it simple, I am content wiht the current power at 0 to 2000' feet on flat land no wind I would like to simply perk it up a little so when I am going up a 7% grade at "the highest point on rout 80" I am doing a little better than 25 mph when I crest the top, is that so hard hah

I DONT want to SWAP the engine this engine runs PERFECT its a 250k mile engine it has 90k miles on it, I DONT want to spend 30k bux on a engine buying up all the popular crapola jegs or other hot rod shops sell.

What ever happen to the true "engine builders" I use to talk to years ago, locally they are all dead and gone (RIP) or I wouldnt be asking here...

I will forge ahead on my own, when I get some time I will find a turbo shop that will sell me a basic turbo to meet my needs not someone that wants to sell me all the billet carbon fiber bling homo crapola punk kids lust after....