Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

curtains

I'm new to this site....bought a bus in March and am making small progress.....having trouble putting screws in to hang curtains...anyone have a suggestion? my e-mail is mailto:ruthieb52@yahoo.com

ruthieb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

The self tapping screws work very well. When screwing into the ceiling there's about 1.5-2" gap between the inner skin and the outer skin. I used 1.5" self tapping screws to hang my cabinets - screwing through 1/2" of wood, so only 1" screwed into the ceiling.

Where the crossmemebers are you have to screw through the crossmember as well - which is harder but would be able to support more weight. The crossmemebers are where the line of rivets on the roof panels are.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I used steel electric conduit pipe with a 2 inch piece welded to each end and on the wall side I welded a washer to it for a screw hole. I only had to cover 3 windows on one side and 3 plus driver window on the other. For curtains I just used bed sheets I some removable poles for the windshield and lift door and service door.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Self tapping screws will work if you drill out the holes first. You can save a step by using self drilling screws....these are acctualy called TEK screws, they have a built-in drill point on the tip, once they drill through the metal, the threaded section takes over and pulls the screw into place... You can find these at pretty much most fastner paces, I think even Lowes carries a limited selection of these...

I have used TEK screws almost exclusively on my bus. They have saved me a whole lot of drilling... At first I'd drill, then either use self tappers or pop rivets... the TEK screws really saved me that extra step...

BTW.... phillips head works pretty well, but a square drive head works even better!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
Self tapping screws will work if you drill out the holes first. You can save a step by using self drilling screws
Really? I've never had to drill a hole for my self tapping screws? maybe they're called something else - thats just what I call em... they have what looks like a drill bit tip on the end and they went right in.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

i don't pre-drill holes for mine either......and i've used them in 1/4" plate, and even attached things to the bus frame with them.

i love my self tappers! i'd hate to build a bus without them.
I use them for all kinds of things from the front to the back.

If any of you are working on your skoolie and you have not yet discovered self tapping screws.....go to home depot right now and buy some! Ok, maybe not right now....but the next time you're out shopping pick up a box and try em out.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Bus Nut

They are self-drilling screws. They have a drill shaped point. Known in the sheetmetal industry as TEK screws. They come in different sizes, the bigger ones (TEK-8 I believe) about 1/4" dia. will drill through 1/2" plate. They are awesome. They can replace a drilled hole with a nut and bolt in many cases. Don't build a bus without 'em!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Self tapping screws are merely pointed screws that cut a thread pattern into the wood or metal as it goes in...

As pointed out above, the ones with drill points on them are self drilling TEK screws.... I have about a half dozen sizes and styles from little half inch long pan head square drives, to 2.5" phillips flat head...

I think you may have the self tappers and the self drilling screws confused...

Self Drilling HERE

Self Tapping HERE

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Thats them; the self drilling screws - thats what I was talking about. I got em mixed up.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
hanging curtains

In the rear we use magnets to hang the curtains that way we can take them down when on the road and there is no way to get hurt on them or rip them when you lose you balance and want to grab on to something to save your a#*. Would also save a trip to the emergency room, think safety. Up front around the driver we have grommets in our curtains and use the rails and hangers that are made for that purpose to hang them, also taking them down when in transit. We do have rails over our side windows up front and they stay up all the time, we just slide them along the rails to cover up the windows at night, bunch them together in the daytime. We can curtain the whole bus at night to keep strangers out and sleeping past daybreak in the morning is nice. Making sure your bus is safe by not having sharp edges, screws, corners, etc goes a long way to keeping you out of the ER. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote