Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

I wanna be a free nomad

I want to be trailer trash. They did not cause any of the problems that our country faces today. They did not get mortgages they couldn't afford. They did not run banks to the ground with greed. They did not use investors for their personal benefit. They don't even belong to the unions that ask too much of their companies.

I'm tired of paying mortgage bills, utility bills, property taxes.

I want to live more simply, pack up the dogs and move into a travel-trailer.

I don't mind being called 'trailer trash', but I wanted to get your opinion.

As Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is freedom,
In water there is bacteria.

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: I wanna be a free nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Good points, and I agree with them all.

I like simple too. That's why one day my bus will be 8x8 and able to boon dock for 6 months or more at a time. When my child support and alimony are done, I'm retiring to the forest. There I will live the rest of my days in peace with only the birds and the bee's.

Nat
Amen & I would also add that when I die I would much rather a bear or some other wild animal drag my died body into the brush & eat me so no money is wasted on a ridicules & expensive casket,
Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I agree with being a nomad, I'm planning to retire early (less then 4 years), then heading out, planning on spending winter in the warm weather, then head back to Canada for summers, I like the health care, and other great things here, but we will bounce around till it gets cold, I think it will be great to be a nomad, i just have to make sure i have a good monthly income want to still enjoy a few good times in life , I look forward to the nomad life, just don't want to end up hiding in the woods with a loaded rifle waiting for the apocalypses, that's a whole other forum.
gbstewart
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I agree with everything you said but sadly there is always some type of choke hold that comes with simple. Just hanging out somewhere comes with a price tag.... all be it less that a mortgage.... but someone has to pay the taxes on the land where your bus will occupy so as they say there is not ever a "free lunch."

I would agree there are too many people who live beyond their means and when the worse of times come it put them in a sleeper hold and they wont wake up. I think its best to simplify and condense the good things that life has to offer.

As for having something when the apocalypse comes.... yes its going to work for a while but this massive land yachts like to be fed and will only go so far with the fuel they have so unless you have a fuel truck in tow behind you I would plan on occupying a patch of land and dare others to try and take it..... just my thoughts.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Good points, and I agree with them all.

This world is falked. Too many people live for them selves only.

I like simple too. That's why one day my bus will be 8x8 and able to boon dock for 6 months or more at a time. When my child support and alimony are done, I'm retiring to the forest. There I will live the rest of my days in peace with only the birds and the bee's.

Or the apocalypses will level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization. Government will no longer be able to force us to live by retarded rules that were passed for their personal gain. Many people in law enforcement had physiatric issues is why they entered the field where they could use the power given to them to pray on the weak. The only real power at that point would be knollage and wisdom.

Nat

Are you sure you're from Canada?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Skoolie

What if the apocalypse is like "Water World" and we are all screwed for having fail safe land machines and mobile bunkers?

(Surely I'm not the only one who wrote "mobile bunker" on my Doomsday list... Surely I'm not the only one with a Doomsday list!!!! Right??!)

I didn't think of it until just a moment ago. I need to join a boat forum now...
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I have a doomsday list but why do you keep calling me Shirley.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I have a doomsday list but why do you keep calling me Shirley.

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Okay. I found my build. http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Orbite ... ter%29.htm

Finally. Tonight I can rest easily. Now. Who has a gajillion dollars they can loan me? By "loan" I mean "give"... all debts will be forgotten come Doomsday, right????
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

im on the other end of north America........ Texas.... we are just as bat sh#t crazy
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

And last, I keep fit by working hard for a living. I grew up without TV, running water, indoor shitter, ect. I never slept in in a bed, or had a pillow till I was 19, 4 years after leaving home. We grew a big 2 acre garden, and killed my meat from the forest to feed my 9 sisters, 1 brother, and 2 parents. Rather than watch TV or play video games, I would walk up to 25 miles through the forest daily. Then I joined the Canadian armed forces, and served out of Cold Lake as a apprentice diesel maintenance tech.

Nat[/quote]
wow this is getting a bit thick, what are 100 years old?
gbstewart
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
And last, I keep fit by working hard for a living. I grew up without TV, running water, indoor shitter, ect. I never slept in in a bed, or had a pillow till I was 19, 4 years after leaving home. We grew a big 2 acre garden, and killed my meat from the forest to feed my 9 sisters, 1 brother, and 2 parents. Rather than watch TV or video games.

gbstewart
Up until I was into the 3rd grade I lived with my 2 parents, 4 sisters & 1 brother in a small house in Illinois ,all 6 of us kids slept upstairs with a honey bucket in the middle of the room for use at night & a 2 holer outhouse , water pipes & electric was added later & was outside the walls, that house caught fire in the middle of the night & we lost everything, we all would be died except my dad who worked graveyard shift if it wasn't for our German Shepard who was on the porched decided to force his way into the house & woke my mom, Then we built another home & had a 2.5 acre garden where we canned or froze everything, the basement was lined with Ball jars 20 deep & potato bins also, want breakfast go kill it, My wife & I 3 yrs a go ripped out all our grass & now our front & back yard is garden, if it don't feed us it don't get water & since we're here in California we have winter & summer crops & we save & replant seeds. We used to get together at my Uncles & Granddad farm all my cousins & siblings & we would spend the whole weekend butchering & prepping meat on top of what wild game we killed out the back door. LOL I remember one time in school the teacher had to step out of the class room & we kids were getting load & she came back in & said "You kids are running around like chickens with your heads cut off, do you know what that means?" my hand shot up & I preceded to explain the whole process to her, don't think that was the answer she was looking for. So in closing I'm sure there are a few of us who will be able to fall back on the way we were raised & not look to or rely on the Government top SAVE { ha ha} us.
Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #12

I grew up much the same way, even though it sounds like I'm a little younger than some of you. My grandparents had most of the raising of us grandkids, and they grew up in the Depression. They still lived much like they did growing up, only with a TV so Papa could yell at the evening news. We butchered, had big gardens, canned produce and fruit, cooked from scratch, went camping a lot. I bless that experience, because the result is that I'm one of the few in my generation who isn't a useless idiot fit only to program their iPod.

This bus is our way of checking out of modern life. It holds nothing for us; indeed, I believe it was never designed to be a game the common man could win. Like that old movie, the only way to win is to refuse to play.

Would you like to play a game, Professor? No. I think I'll just go remodel a bus.
DavidCrue is offline   Reply With Quote