Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Let's talk tools!

Okay, I'm not trying to stir up trouble here - I know how people like to fight over which brand tool is best.

But, I'm always buying tools, and I'd like to hear feedback from people about which tools they've had that were good investments. I'm thinking about getting one of those Drill Doctor drill bit sharpeners like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-Doctor ... /100375865

Has anyone had experience with these? I hate throwing away dull drill bits. Actually, I can't get myself to throw them away, so I have a growing collection of unusable drill bits that could perhaps have a second life if I could sharpen them.

Any thoughts?

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Let's talk tools!

I've used 1 at a job years ago, it worked well. If memory serves there is a bit of a learning curve, not too steep and you can simply re-grind a bit until you get the feel for it. I always felt like the sharpened bits dulled faster than a factory bit, but that may have been simply knowing it was a re-grind. It also may have been that the temper was broken by grinding, but in any case it did far extend the life of a drill bit. I was able to sharpen broken bits as well which saved time in searching for another....
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I have used them in the past.
They work well, but they deff have a learning curve. If you go threw a lot of drill bits they are worth getting. If not they become a great dust collector...

On the cordless tool front i have recently switched to the milwaukee fuel line of tools. Was a hard decision as ive been a makita guy for 20 plus years.
Great tools, not looking back

The ridgid 6in random orbital sander is a tool i cant live without. They dont last very long until they break, on my 3rd in 4 years... but if you buy the extended warrantee they really work great while they work.
I have looked for other brands, but none have the features. standard shop vac hose plugs in, big and small. Soft start, adjustable speed and size of orbit.
Would be interested if someone has exp with a better one?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I have a drill doctor works good, but yes takes a bit of time to learn it. When I started out working as a apprentice on aircraft(35years ago ) they only realy good tools out there where snap on, and it seemed like all my wages went to the snap on truck, sears tools where ok at the time, fast forward to today and I find some really great tools here and Canadian tire, even there line of cordless hold out well. I have a lot of bosch power tools that seem to hold up, but im looking at the 12volt Milwaukee line. most of my working life has been working with tools, and it time that I down size I have been selling off a lot just sold my big snap on roll cab, going to make a tool box just for the bus and leave it in it,
gbstewart
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I am a toolaholic.

I have used many tools all my life. At age 76 years, I live to work. Many folks do not know of the best tool maker. A few names of very high quality are Armstrong, Wright, Plumb, and Williams. Several years ago, Snapon tools bought the family tool foundrys of
Armstrong, wright and Williams. The Sears new professional tools are very nice. The tools from lowes named Kobalt are very well made. Snapon tools is very advanced and expensive for their testing electronics. There are no bad tools if the tool does any job.
Some companies have developed some tools as junk, making the public the testing method. Just an old tool guy. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: international

love tools ,been collecting for many years,always looking for them,if any one gets to maine check out liberty tools, a great place,when iam on the coast i always stop in
junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: international

being a tool collector,iam always on the look out for good tools, if you ever come up here to maine be sure to check out liberty tool,up near bar harbor
junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

My neighbor is a tool. A very big tool.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
My neighbor is a tool. A very big tool.
My former chain of command at squadron, group and fighter wing level were all tools too, with some very few exceptions.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126

I'm a big Milwaukee fan and I have a drill doctor and it saved me a lot of money drilling out all those rivets and drilling through two - three sheets of 18 GA steel to add my new skin over the windows.

I agree with Malkieri "I always felt like the sharpened bits dulled faster than a factory bit, "

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

I actually used to have a business with my dad sharpening drill bits. I can't really weigh in on the drill doctor, as we had grinders with jigs, etc... to sharpen the bits, but they really aren't that hard to sharpen by hand, if your eyes are good. I would trust that, personally, over the drill doctor, as it looked like more of a toy, to me, lol... The reason they don't last as long is probably because the drill dr. puts too steep of an angle on them, or better put, too much back relief. The cutting edge is then "thinner" or steeper, so to speak. You also can't heat them up too much, If they discolor, you basically just toasted it.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
There are no bad tools if the tool does any job.
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's I was offered a job for so much money I couldn't refuse. I sold my shop and went to work for them. It was basically a rich guys playground. He had hired the best talent from all over. I was the lead mechanic and the oldest guy in the shop. I rolled in there with my puny little Craftsman tool box filled with a hodge podge of whatever tools I had accumulated over the years. The other guys had these HUGE roll away tool boxes, mostly from"that expensive truck that comes around to the shop and offers easy time payments" . I was in awe, not only of the vast amount of tools they had, but also how much they spent on them. Guess who they came to to see if I had or could make some tool to get at, or do something special? Since I hadn't really paid much for my tools, it really didn't bother me much to cut, weld, grind and bend one. I still enjoy making and modifying my own "special" tools. Back then I didn't like Craftsman, the chrome didn't stay on very well.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #13

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
There are no bad tools if the tool does any job.
Many years ago, when I was in my 30's I was offered a job for so much money I couldn't refuse. I sold my shop and went to work for them. It was basically a rich guys playground. He had hired the best talent from all over. I was the lead mechanic and the oldest guy in the shop. I rolled in there with my puny little Craftsman tool box filled with a hodge podge of whatever tools I had accumulated over the years. The other guys had these HUGE roll away tool boxes, mostly from"that expensive truck that comes around to the shop and offers easy time payments" . I was in awe, not only of the vast amount of tools they had, but also how much they spent on them. Guess who they came to to see if I had or could make some tool to get at, or do something special? Since I hadn't really paid much for my tools, it really didn't bother me much to cut, weld, grind and bend one. I still enjoy making and modifying my own "special" tools. Back then I didn't like Craftsman, the chrome didn't stay on very well.

When I was a teen, I worked at a Ferrarri shop for about 15 minutes. The boss was the biggest Swiss asshat that I had met. I was the resident slave.

One day the Snap On truck showed up. My boss hopped on the truck and asked if he had a wrench that was shaped like this and bent like that. The Snap On guy looked at him and said, "NO". So my boss bought a box wrench that cost a half days wages and took it to the vise. He cut one end off and hit it with a torch. He bent it one way then another. After that he went to the grinder. When he was done, he held it up with pride. I was amazed. I had never thought of doing something like that before. I was 17 at the time and new to cars. So the lesson for the day children, if they don't make a tool that you need, make one yourself.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
So the lesson for the day children, if they don't make a tool that you need, make one yourself.
That was something my late father, a mechanic for well over 50 years, used to do as well.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #15

team RED Milwaukee all the way. been an electrician for 20 years i had them all ..left a drill on the bumper of my Jeep. and ran it over @ 60 MPH with the tire then slapped it up under the body. went back some pieces were missing. and been using it for the last 6 months no problem lol love me some RED. i hear Rigid has a life time warranty ... but IMHO Milwaukee makes there stuff so good you don't need a warranty like....
Lord-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote