Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
J-9

Parking on Private Land in North Carolina

Hi Everyone:

I was all set to purchase some land in Eastern North Carolina and pick a bus to convert, but I have ran into some problems. I don't want to buy the land if I am not sure I can live on it in an RV. It seems from some I've talked to at the county I need an approved waste water system on the property in order to stay in an RV. Seems I can stay "temporarily" on the property in an RV as long as I move it periodically. Property I'm considering purchasing requires an expensive mound septic system to install which I can not afford.

Anyone here live in North Carolina on their own land, and if so, how do you manage the requirement to have an approved waste water system on the property? From what I told this is a state-wide requirement and not county specific.

Thanks.

J-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Parking on Private Land in North Carolina

There was no way to get around the septic. I suggest you buy a place with a mobile home or a burned house already on it. That way you have water, septic and electric run to it. If you do that, make sure the septic has not been condemned by the state. The County/State condemned our septic system after our house burned. It was the only time they were able to get onto the property (I had run them off twice before with a gun and my neighbour run them off three times). We won't buy another place in NC. TN was more lenient. BTW, we lived on my parents place, in an RV for two years. We used an old septic system that used to go to a mobile home they had pulled out.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

FYI... Raleigh dictates septic systems in NC.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
J-9

Thank you for the replies. I didn't realize there was a reply to my post since I didn't get any notification. I thought I was subscribed.

I have spoken to a number of people in both the county and in Raleigh. I've also downloaded the statutes/ordinances in NC. Getting land with an old run down home on it that has an approved septic is something I've considered. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I would move to TN if not for currently attending school in NC.

I did want to use composting toilets and alternative ways for disposing of grey water, but the health department told me an approved septic is still a requirement. For grey water it seems you need a traditionally approved septic (according to standards set in Raleigh) in addition to an approved grey water system, so you actually need two systems if you want to use grey water in North Carolina.
J-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Nor can you use any other septic system EXCEPT the ones (I think they have two types) that only Raleigh approves. We went thru the septic labyrinth after our house burned in Western NC. I had an outfit in NJ I located via Mother Earth News mag that was willing to send not only all their engineering reports on their septic system to Raleigh but would send a company engineer to our county to meet with local officials to explain and supervise the installation. That was turned down flat. Have they told you yet that you need to have an engineer from Raleigh to be on site while the septic is installed? That added another $10K (in 1980's dollars) to the total cost. We had problems because "at one time, millions of years ago, this valley was covered in water". Perhaps I should not have told them that at one time the whole planet was under water. Basically, you either bit the bullet and pay the high $$ to install a septic system they approve (there are others that work better in the high clay content soil we had) or you find on already in place and not condemned.

If you think getting a residential septic system is bad, try a commercial system! EEK! We had looked at buying a nearby campground (15 sites with room to add at least another 60 on the other side of the creek) at one point.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
All they are asking is you dump your waste into an approved septic system. So when your tank's are full you drive to the nearest campground and pay to dump (10-15$) or to a friend's house that is willing to open up there's for you to dump.
But temporary system's can be built cheaper?
If you are planning on building on the land then the permanent system NEED'S to go in before the structure and you can use that.
Your home builder might tell you different because that restrict's him as far as equipment and vehicle access but you will pay more to have it done afterwords and the bill to dump your bus once a month or pay for a temp. System? When you are already paying to have a permanent system installed? Put it to use but that also means locating your rv in a location to use it? If your building contractor has a problem tell him to hit the road cause if he can't deal with an exterior issue you don't want him on the interior work? To me that spell's BS every time but it won't show up for year's!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote