Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #1

Rent or Tow?

For the budget conscience, I would like your thoughts on towing a car vs. renting one for the day every once in awhile. For short trips, say, under 3 miles one way, we are more likely to ride bikes than drive.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing your responses. Thanks in advance!

Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Rent or Tow?

Welcome to the site

we have been renting last few trips, we only need a car for specific "tours" or such, we walk, bike or rent
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Really depends on where you go, duration of the trip, weather, etc.

We tow (1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD - 4 down). But it is also our daily driver. We fulltime yet (gaspeth & horrors) stay in once spot for months or years because we (now I) work. I have a co-worker who rides his bike to work in the rain, sleet & snow. We recently picked up a 150cc touring scooter (trying to get it tagged in NM... long story) so David will have transportation if/when he needs it. David says the 150cc is a tad underpowered for what we want it for so once we get to where ever we will be stopping at, it will get sold and replaced with a 250cc The only way David will be riding a bicycle would be if I want to be a widow. I need to get a hitch mounted hauler to haul the silly thing back east with (on the back of the Jeep).

If you decide to tow, I suggest getting a used vehicle. Toweds get beat being dragged behind a bus or RV.

If you get a used scooter (or new) make sure you either get a title or if you only get the Manufacturers Certificate, get the ORIGINAL Sales Invoice (even if printed off the computer) otherwise getting a title is almost impossible. The states want the original sales invoice. Not an easy thing to get.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. I'm planning on fulltiming. I'm leaning towards renting instead of towing to avoid the maintenance costs, especially given the wear and tear.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote