Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Home made septic system

Here is how to make your own septic tank for cheap. If you have a place to park your bus on private land, you may want to do something like this. I have built three of these, and they work for years.

First, I want to say that there is no way that this system is acceptable to the codes people, so you will have to do this on the sly.

Dig a hole that is 6 feet deep and about 4 feet in diameter. Put 1 foot of gravel at the bottom of the hole. Get a 55 gallon drum that you can remove the top from. A plastic drum will last longer than a metal one, although the metal ones can last over five years.

Turn the open end of the drum upside down so that it rests on the gravel. Cut a hole on the other end that will accept the hose that you connect to your waste tank on your bus. Run the hose a few inches into that end of the tank.

Fill in the hole while keeping the hose vertical and so that you have plenty of hose to connect to your bus.

Drive your bus over the hole, and connect the hose to your waste tank.

The secret to the successful operation of this system is yeast. Every month, put a packet of yeast (the kind used for baking bread) in to the toilet and flush it down.

The yeast eats up the solids and liquefies them.

No more having to haul your porta-tote to a stubout, or having to go dump your tank at some campground.

Give this a try, It really works.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Home made septic system

That's a cesspool, not a septic system. Kind of the equivalent to a pit toilet.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Skoolie

No reason it should not work! Good idea, no matter what you call it.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

My initial thought was that this was a no-no, until I remembered that people I know have used a pit toilet legally, for years. And that is in the nanny state of western Washington. Of course, they are on land, eighty acres of it. Last time I referenced the law there was some sort of minimum acreage, though the state here has tightened things up, especially if you are close to Salish Sea. Regadless, this is not something you'd want the county health department to know about.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

far as i know up here it just has to be so far from any water source or river/lake etc.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I thought that there might be some negative responses to this post. Let me say that there is not much difference between what I suggested than an outhouse. Human waste is not a toxic chemical. It is even used for fertilizer. Keep in mind that in this system, it is contained in the barrel in the ground. It is not a cesspool.

In any case, it is your choice to make one or not.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Definetly not a septic system, they don't put solids into the soil. What you describe would be illegal where I am, and could potenially contaminate a shallow well. The one thing everyone needs to know is: don't let the county health department find out.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

lol contaminate a shallow well? ive worked on wells in the middle of the farmers STOCK YARD! then they invite us in for juice or coffee.. we pass on that one..
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

this is no different then haveing a outhouse, and it will work ok people will run a pipe from a toliet in there camp to an out house it works.

where I am you would be shot, and your body suffted in the barrel should the health department find out. just dont let people know what your doing thats all.
humen waste is toxic, e-coli happens very fast, thats why we have sewage treatment plants, that stuff has to be treated to kill off all the bad stuff before it hits the water system. you can die from waste, I work at a waterplant, and sewage plant I can give a list off stuff that will make your skin fall off.

I do have a pet pvee about people dumping there black tanks in the bush, its not the right thing to do, lots of bad stuff being dumped.

just use common sense

gbstewart
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Gee! I was just trying to be helpful. I first learned about this home made system at a campground I stayed at for two years. There were 60 campsites, and each one had this type of system. The campground was there for twenty years until the owner died, (not from e-coli). No one there contracted e-coli.

I mentioned putting yeast in the drum every month. Yeast dissolves the solids.

Really, it is even better than an outhouse. How many years were those used? How many are still being used?

If you want to get technical, how about all the carbon monoxide you breath walking down a city sidewalk. What about all the harmful crap in a Big Mac?

This whole world is polluted.

Even the monks in the mountains of Nepal are feeling the effects.

Once again, if you feel that your turds are going to poison you, then flush them down the toilet. That's what your taxes pay for.

I won't be telling you about "spy pee".
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

spy-pee I ageed with, its a good system, its the big macs that put the poisen in the turds, I wonder if I could just drink beer to replace the packet of yeast?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
spy-pee I ageed with, its a good system, its the big macs that put the poisen in the turds, I wonder if I could just drink beer to replace the packet of yeast?
I know that you agreed with the idea. I often times get in trouble with my crazy ideas.

I think that there may not be enough yeast left after you pass the beer. Besides, I have been peeing outside for thirty years now. (Don't tell anyone).

I worked as a lineman for a while. Even while working downtown in the middle of the day, I learned that all you have to do is open the truck door and stand behind it and look up as though you were assisting the guy on the pole while you discreetly did your wizz.

OOPS! Did I just divulge another nasty secret?

That is not really the Spy Pee that I had mentioned.

OH NO! Now the pee police will be looking for me.

Spy Pee involves a funnel. If someone really wants to know, I may explain. Of course, I will probably get some heat for that as well.

HA HA HA HA
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
... I mentioned putting yeast in the drum every month. Yeast dissolves the solids. ...
Substitute Rid-Ex for the yeast. Yeast requires oxygen while the bacteria in typical septic systems and cesspools do not. You are talking about two totally different types of "bugs". The yeast simply dies and the other bacteria feeds off of it for a very short time. Basically, you are wasting $$ doing that. Just buy the Rid-Ex or similar product.

As for me, I would rather install another septic system. And we have installed several. A word of caution, do not dump cleaning chemicals or other nasty stuff down a septic system or cesspool. They are not designed to handle anything other than poo, pee and grey water. you really shouldn't use a garbage disposal on a septic system. I have but I really didn't use it much. Heavy garbage disposal use means you get your septic system pumped. I've never had a septic system David installed need to be pumped.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Wow Lorna! I never heard of using Rid-ex. You sure are smart. I guess this old dog can still learn new tricks. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Doesnt Red=ex will kill all the bacteria in it?
Rid-Ex website
Quote:
When overused, some common household chemicals like antibacterial soaps and bleach, can kill off the beneficial bacteria that populate your septic tank. Additionally, excessive amounts of water going down the drain will flush out a large portion of the beneficial bacteria growing in your septic tank. In such a weakened system, the sewage can build up more quickly, eventually blocking the outlet pipe or possibly clogging your drain field. When that happens, a backup can occur, requiring emergency pumping and possible drain field replacement.
Quote:
RID-X® restores the balance in your septic system
RID-X® Septic Tank System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes that have been scientifically proven to digest household waste. By adding RID-X®, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes that are needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency.
Each box of RID-X® contains the following ingredients, scientifically proven to break down household waste:

Cellulase breaks down toilet paper, vegetable matter and some foods
Lipase breaks down fats, oils and grease
Protease breaks down proteins
Amylase breaks down starches

How soon does RID-X® begin to activate and work?
Immediately. The enzymes begin working as soon as they come in contact with water and the waste they break down. The bacteria take 2-4 hours to germinate, multiplying to the maximum level that the environment will allow in about 2-4 days if the temperature and conditions are favorable. However, with the constant flow of sewage in, and water out of the tank, it is important to add RID-X® according to label directions in order to keep the RID-X® bacteria level at its highest. Because septic systems vary so much, we cannot make assertions on how quickly the bacteria and enzymes will break down waste.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Skoolie

was that a spambot post?

Looks like spambot Deleted by freakn
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Yes, from the same "user"... which makes me wonder why the MODs haven't blocked that user name/IP address yet.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #18

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 22

Why not compost the waste instead? Take a look at "The Humanure () Handbook".
Butnerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

In our county, less then 10 min from 1.5 million people, All we have is a septic tank that catches the solids, then pumps all the liquids out onto the field. It's completely to code in our county.

We have 4 house holds in out yard. All use the same system.

We also have codes dictating that our water wells cannot be shallow. All wells here must be a minimum 75 feet deep. Most are around 200' plus.

Do what you must, Be safe, and use common sense.

Nat

Posted for informative reasons only.

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

One more addition to this post, you might want to check out a Watson Wick for an easy to make
septic system that works.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote