Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Yellow bus illegal where?

I hope this is the right forum. I'm back to looking for a bus. Found one I liked in Michigan. In asking questions thru email, I found it's illegal for a bus NOT registered to a school district to be driven on the roads. Now, this is a great thing to learn before my purchase...I got lucky. I've heard this about other states. Does anyone know of a list of states that have laws such as this one?

Thanks, all

rick

rlohrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Yellow bus illegal where?

Cover the school districts name,cover any mention of bus tape front red lights and you should be fine to get it home....black paint or tape will work for this.....they don't want parents etc to misake it for a real bus
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

In Maryland if it is yellow and not registered to a school district, you cannot drive it. It must be towed. I filled out the form saying I already painted it and got a temp tag and drove it anyway, but just to were I was going to paint it. I did not drive it again until it was done.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

I also bought mine on a Friday after lunch, so on my trip home there were buses everywhere

So I was kinda camoflauged...mine still had all the markings...I just drove it, no way for cops to know better; since the drivers were going to the schools and then loaded with kids and dropping off
That gave me a 4hr window
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I also bought mine on a Friday after lunch, so on my trip home there were buses everywhere

So I was kinda camoflauged...mine still had all the markings...I just drove it, no way for cops to know better; since the drivers were going to the schools and then loaded with kids and dropping off
That gave me a 4hr window
This is what I did too.

Good to see others thinks the same way.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 6.6L Brazilian Ford
Rated Cap: 1

Illegal in South Dakota to drive a YELLOW school bus unregistered by as school district. School Bus Yellow anyway.

gus
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

To the best of my knowledge there is no issues with a bus being yellow in Texas. I think you have to black out the school district name or make it so that you just cant pull up to a school and have the ability to pick up kids. I would also imagine you would need to disable the stop sign and lights on the bus so that you wont disrupt traffic by doing things you shouldn't be doing when its a private bus.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: GMC 3500
Engine: 6.5 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I checked with the local dmv office before I bought our bus in Wisconsin. (It was a 2 1/2 hr drive within Wisconsin so I didn't want to take any chances)
I was told I could drive it directly home "as is" in yellow/ w/school markings as long as I put signs in the window that said "IN TRANSIT".
Once I got it home, to register it, I had to have it inspected to verify the yellow and other markings were gone.
snonbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

You're good to go in Montana....regardless of color.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #10

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Collins Industries
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 351
Rated Cap: 10

In Colorado last week, plated our 81 short bus with collector plates as a truck after the supervisor took a look at it via text from the clerks phone... That was an ordeal, but we're happy with the outcome.

Fair to say the bus may be yellow in CO? They didn't even mention it. We're thinking of 'restoring' it and going with the C OOL BUS theme... Of course D/C the 8 lamp lights and stop arm, except for when there's a reason to use them at a gathering or in the driveway...
cobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 6.0L V8

I bought my 89 Thomas in Portland from the school district and drove it across the state of OR and half way down into CA, and had no problems (even with the school district name/stop sign/lights and all). This was with a temporary trip permit. I know in CA it cannot be yellow when you register it as a non-school bus, and In OR I think it's the same, but I'm not sure.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: IH DT466e
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobus
In Colorado last week, plated our 81 short bus with collector plates as a truck after the supervisor took a look at it via text from the clerks phone... That was an ordeal, but we're happy with the outcome.

Fair to say the bus may be yellow in CO? They didn't even mention it. We're thinking of 'restoring' it and going with the C OOL BUS theme... Of course D/C the 8 lamp lights and stop arm, except for when there's a reason to use them at a gathering or in the driveway...
cobus - I'm a Colorado resident as well. When i registered my bus as an RV, they made no mention of the need to change the color. I believe in Colorado you just need to black out the "School Bus" markings and remove the stop sign and any forward facing red lights. I've driven my bus many times through town and on the highway and have never had any problems (as long as you plates are current).

Maybe i'll see you out there somewhere.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T

It is illegal in California to have any non-school bus painted school bus yellow "or similar color." The similar color phrase made us give up the idea of painting our conversion any shade of yellow. One bored Highway Patrol officer could cost out thousands of dollars in a repaint job. Not worth the grief. You also can't have red cross over lights, the normal school bus lettering or the stop sign.

I just had our bus registered as a motor home in California. They never even asked us if we had gotten rid of the yellow paint or the red lights, etc. Other conversion nuts in California have received major hassles from the DMV. I was lucky and got a nice clerk who was excited about my conversion project.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

I drove my bus home from Maine to New Jersey, still yellow. One of the previous owners, a pipeline construction company out of Wisconsin, had left it yellow, but pulled the stop sign, school district and company markings, and had spray painted over the lights and "SCHOOL BUS" front and back. When I drove it to its storage/conversion site, I had a local cop pull in behind me, and nothing happened. That said, I still need to repaint it because New Jersey won't title a school bus if its still yellow, and requires photographic proof since that's not handled by the local office, but a special unit.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat

I had mine registered in California a year ago and just like gmarvel said this guys were exited about the conversion, I had must of the seats , school district name and school bus, got the registration and plates same day. lucky!,

Juliol
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Skoolie

In Florida, It doesnt matter. You can register it yellow with all the stop signs and the rest.
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3126b
Rated Cap: 66

Hey jmar, that's good news for me since I'm in Florida too.

Can you tell me where you confirmed it's legal to drive it yellow and with the lights? I'm painting it "soon" but want to be able to use it and take it to the park to work on it somewhere other than the storage place. All the SCHOOL decals have been removed already... Thanks!
TwilitFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: international

when i bought mine i ad to repaint. yellow illegal in maine
junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466/5 spd manual

Alaska,

13 AAC 04.247. Color and special equipment on school buses

(a) Every school bus used for pupil transportation must be painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow (National Bureau of Standards Color #1305). No other vehicle may display this color. A bus originally painted and used as a school bus which is no longer used as a school bus must be painted a color other than National School Bus Chrome Yellow before it may be driven on a highway or vehicular way or area.
sickrunvanyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickrunvanyardsale
Alaska,

13 AAC 04.247. Color and special equipment on school buses

(a) Every school bus used for pupil transportation must be painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow (National Bureau of Standards Color #1305). No other vehicle may display this color. A bus originally painted and used as a school bus which is no longer used as a school bus must be painted a color other than National School Bus Chrome Yellow before it may be driven on a highway or vehicular way or area.
Georgia has the same rule on color as this . Have a friend that works the registration counter in our county She was kind enough to check for me I have started the looking process hope to buy within 6 months and get things going . Also in discussions with the instructor at a nearby Technical school . I provide materials students get experience fabricating welding and painting . They have classes in sheet-metal fab , auto-body and welding . Plan to talk to this place about sheet steel and box and bar stock have a relative that has bought from them and claims they can bend a cut to spec with little added cost .
Code:
http://www.cammonsteel.com/steel/