Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: 21' shuttle bus
Engine: E450
Rated Cap: 16
new electric wiring

I have a new-to-me bus that I need to add wiring to, so we can plug it in at campgrounds. I've read that I need to choose between 30am and 50amp. I would like to also be able to plug it in at our house when we have guests staying over. Would I be able to do that, or would I need to wire it for one or the other?
If it's not obvious by now, I know NOTHING about wiring, aside from how to change out a new wall switch or light fixture in a house. I am looking for a simple way to wire the bus with some scattered outlets to plug in normal appliances (tv, blender, laptop) when we are parked and plugged in. I guess I'd need to figure out how to also plug in the roof A/C. Can anyone tell me the simplest, most affordable way to do this without it looking like a ghetto rig?
Thank you, for whatever useful knowledge you can share!!

kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: new electric wiring

since you have to get everything up front, I would do 50 amp wiring (the extra $25 for 50 wire is more than worth it)

the 12 ga wire inside would be the same for 15/20/30/50 (I used stranded lots of folks just use household solid wire has been in use by millions of RV's)

circuit breakers would be the same 15 amp

when you get a box get one like I used for under $20

first you need to decide what you want to run and where, then we can help you out some

Everyone does it differently my thread has some info in it and this is a good read thanks to Lorna

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13540

right now just run an extension cord (don't over load it though)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Year: 2001
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: 21' shuttle bus
Engine: E450
Rated Cap: 16
Re: new electric wiring

Thanks so much for the info!
kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
when you get a box get one like I used for under $20

Is this an AC/DC box? where did you find it? thanks.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Wiring

I would wire it for 50 amp service. You can buy or make an adapter so that if you are someplace that only has 30 amp service you can plug the adapter into the 30 amp and then plug your 50 amp plug into the other end. You will still end up with 30 amps. You can do the same for 20 amp service if you have to.
You may want to research GFCI (ground fault) outlets or breakers for safety. A word of warning though. If your electric source is already protected by a GFCI outlet or breaker you cannot use yours. You cannot use two of them at the same time.
Also, make sure you get a box that is big enough for the amount of circuits you will need. You may also need a larger breaker to run your AC. Check the AC and see how many amps or watts it draws. Amps X volts equals watts. Example: If your draw is 1500 watts divide that by 110 (volts) and you get 13.6 amps. Make sure that you have plenty of circuits to suit your needs. If you try to run the AC and say a deep fryer or something with a large current draw you will kick the breaker. If you run them on different circuits you will not have a problem. I would use 12 gauge wire as it is all around better than 14 gauge.
The best thing to do is ask around and see if a friend that knows what they are doing could give you a hand. Also, you can buy a tester that you plug into an outlet that tells you if the circuit is wired property. You can also use it to test the power at a campground or where ever you go to make sure that the system was installed properly. I would not want to use a power source without a proper ground for instance. Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I would use 12 gauge wire as it is all around better than 14 gauge.
Using to large of wire is a waste, not necessary, and hard to shove back into electrical boxes.

Run the numbers into a wire size calculator. Buses are small. Wire runs are short. Therefore this massive overkill is completely not necessary.

Wire size calc.

Voltage Drop Calculator

A 25 ft run of 14 ga pulling a full 15 amps, only has 2.18% voltage drop at the destination.

Not saying anyone is wrong, just run the numbers first.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Using to large of wire is a waste, not necessary, and hard to shove back into electrical boxes.
Agree. And at least around here, 12AWG costs 50% more than 14AWG. No reason to pay for metal you don't need.

If I was going to go to excess, my personal preference would be more, smaller circuits. It's always nice when a breaker trips to only have it take out a few things.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote