Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #1

SKOOLIE - First Time Poster Needs Advice

Hello everyone! I am considering a skoolie conversion, as it'll allow me to set it up as I see fit. What I'm looking to do is in addition to a rear bedroom, I'd like to add a couple of bunks just outside the door to the bedroom. I don't know how many of you were in the Navy, but when I was in I remember the racks (bunks for the non-nautically minded) we slept in, and thought that a couple of those with all of the readily-accessible storage underneath them would be great for a skoolie conversion. (Especially the berth/transom combos found in officers' staterooms.) The thing is, I can't seem to find the things anywhere. With all of the ships I've seen broken up, (and I'm fairly certain that they're not reused from ship to ship, from what I've seen) where do they all go? With even a small ship like a frigate, there's a crew of around 300. more or less. I'm not concerned if they're scratched up (as I'm going to veneer them) as long as they're straight and free from corrosion. Does anyone know what I'm speaking of? I've contacted several ship breakers, but I think I'm just too small potatoes for them to worry about, as none of them have responded. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'd really like to use these berths if they're available. Thanks!

Rav-Chovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: SKOOLIE - First Time Poster Needs Advice

Scrap metal?

A fair bit of the paint in the old warships had less than favorable ingredients like lead and such. That might be why they are no where to be found.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

Nat, That might've been true on the older ships, and it was certainly true on places on the ships I was stationed aboard (several Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigates, and the USS Ranger, a Forrestal class carrier, to name just a few), but we were already switching over to lead-free epoxy paints in the early '80's. But the bunks in question were made of aluminum, and arrived from the factory with a baked on finish the looked to me like powder-coating. I just know it was darned tough. Could be the fact that they were aluminum meant that they were sent to the recyclers immediately, but I'm hoping that's not the case.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Could be when looking to quickly dispose of a lot of"space"
Recycling would of been best route....and who would buy them?other than you

Welcome to the madness that is owning something that people and friends say ......"why...."

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

All I can say is RUN! Just kidding and I like your rack idea--don't give up, the're out there somewhere.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

check these out: are these what you want?
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Malkieri, yes! Those are exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you! Too bad they're at a government auction house. I mean I don't even have a bus yet. I was looking for some ideas and a place to source the furniture from. But you've given me some great ideas on the companies that carry this furniture. I had no idea there were so many. Whether or not they'll sell to an individual, or the general public period is another question entirely. I appreciate all of your kind assistance.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I don't see the problem with them being on an auction site...you can register and bid, then have them shipped to you. I am pretty sure there are instructions on the website for how to go about getting shipping set up. The auction is 30 days out so you have plenty of time to find a bus to put them in.... Where are you at? I am sure someone can help point you at a bus if you are serious
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

Malkieri, Yeah, I know they'll ship them to me, but to tell the truth, I don't have anywhere to store them. I live in a tiny, two bedroom house on the Gulf Coast. I don't even have a car port. I was going to store the parts I needed in the bus until I could install them. (Not an ideal solution I know, but the alternative is we share space with these huge things in our house. I know I might not find another pair of these things so readily, but at this point I have little choice. And I called all of my friends and family in the area, and none of them wanted to play host to them for me. So, whattaya going to do?)
Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Get new friends?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Crazy that you said that. I told my wife last Monday the same identical thing. I even went on the prowl on the internet to locate the dimensions so I can build them out of wood. I gave up looking for them, but now I may be a bidder on those. I thought the design would be perfect for my kids. gives a place to put their own things.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I dont know if the Uss Forrest Fire, uhh I mean Forrestal, had those style racks. I was on The GW and it had them in 1995. The Forrestal is headed to the scrap yards in Brownsville Texas... Maybe we can get some from there?

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/regi...scrapyard.html
Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Navy racks on CL Here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showth...7610#post97610