Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Electrical System Switch

Hey guys n gals. I want to set up my dc to ac system on my bus. I am going through and getting an inventory for my project and ideas for things I need. However, I don't know what I need to be able to change the charging system on it automatically. Meaning, I want to be able to use shore power, or solar, or the alternator to charge my house batteries without having to manually hit a switch so I don't 1.- burn up my alternator and kill my system, or 2.-backfeed the grid and kill my system, or 3.- burn up my batteries and kill my system!

So can anyone help?

TIA

-Doc

Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Electrical System Switch

Budget?

Changing things manually is the cheapest rout.

This cost $1000
http://sterling-power-usa.com/12volt400 ... arger.aspx

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Not exactly what I was meaning.

No budget.

Just want a 3 way switch to control the charging systems so they don't compete. I want to make it so the alternator is in use first, then shore power, then solar if the other two aren't engaged to charge the house batteries.

Can't seem to find something like that on the forums.

-Doc
Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: IH DT466e
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr
Not exactly what I was meaning.

No budget.

Just want a 3 way switch to control the charging systems so they don't compete. I want to make it so the alternator is in use first, then shore power, then solar if the other two aren't engaged to charge the house batteries.

Can't seem to find something like that on the forums.

-Doc

You're looking for a power transfer switch (PTS). A PTS will automatically cut over from one power source to another, which i believe it what you're looking to do. A simple google search for "3 way power transfer switch" came up with this product, which might be exactly what you need: http://www.theinverterstore.com/tran...enerators.html. I dont personally have a need for a 3-way switch, but i use this 2-way switch to swap between shore and generator power:http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-50...ransfer+switch.

Pretty easy to wire up too (provided you have a basic understanding of household wiring). Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8ua697pnso_b

these are all marine rated
Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Or there is this type

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Bus Nut

enthe0gen

That would be perfect, but that is used to switch power to your unit, meaning, power from batteries, or power from shore, or power from a generator go into this switch, then into your system.

I'm looking for something that will be put inline before the batteries. So it will automatically select the charging system to the batteries.

cschlessman

This would work, if it had a 3 way setting and were autoimatic, for 3 independent charging systems. These show 1, or 2, or 1+2. I want one that would go from 1, to 2, to 3 and not be manual. I could do a manual style like that but would have to have 2 switches. 1 controlling 2 systems and the second controlling the 3rd.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72

http://www.westmarine.com/blue-sea-syst ... 73_008_503

This is what you're looking for. The picture shows a 2-way but look at the items listed below and there are 3 way. It is more expensive than a switch should be in my opinion, but it is what you need and @ 30 amps.

It isn't automatic but by "no budget" i assume you mean no $ to spend? In that case you won't be able to afford a manual.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
http://www.westmarine.com/blue-sea-systems--ac-rotary-source-selector-switches--P009_273_008_503

It isn't automatic but by "no budget" i assume you mean no $ to spend? In that case you won't be able to afford a manual.
Exactly opposite, I mean I am not concerned if it were to cost 300 bucks or 10.

So I am to assume that an automatic transfer switch can be used inline before the batteries as well as after?? The ones I am finding are for powering your "house" if one type of power goes out it diverts to the next. Does it work the exact same way with charging the "house" batteries?