Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Low cost, Great looking moderan Tile Couter tops.

As a contractor, I have installed close to 200 counter tops over the last 5 years. I don't use cement board, or mortar beds anymore, as they are a out dated, less effective systems.

These are the systems I use. After completing a install yourself, you will love this system.

This first video still uses ply wood as a sub strait. Schluter®-DITRA uncoupling membrane is installed on top of the plywood to protect the tile covering from expansion and contraction, and water proofs the surface to protect the plywood below from water infiltration.

This system eliminates the wood all together, eliminating the chance of water infiltration causing mold.
The Schluter KERDI-BOARD is available in thickness from 1/2" to 2". The 2" is what is used as counter top substrait.
This system is more suitable for bus installations due to the weight savings, and vibration resistance.

IMO best tiles to use are a high gloss, polished porcelain tile, as it is the hardest of the man made, sealed products.
My favorite size are the 24 x24, and the 12 x24. This looks amazing with few grout lines.

I could do a video, but I feel it's pointless due to how well the manufactures video's are made.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Re: Low cost, Great looking moderan Tile Couter tops.

Is this something only available up north? I checked Lowes & Home Depot & couldn't locate it. I'm in California
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Is this something only available up north? I checked Lowes & Home Depot & couldn't locate it. I'm in California
You may have to ask for it.

Only the biggest stores here carry it. The rest it's special order, but still the same cost.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2000

Thanks for the videos, I'm curious as to how light the Kerdi-board is, what kind of weight savings are you looking at compared to what most people would use?
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
Thanks for the videos, I'm curious as to how light the Kerdi-board is, what kind of weight savings are you looking at compared to what most people would use?
Schluter KERDI-BOARD is Styrofoam with fiberglass cloth on both sides. It weigh's almost nothing.

Conventional would be 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, or a mortar bed, or 3/4 plywood and 1/2 inch cement board. All are really really heavy.

I would say 10% or less of the other products.

This is the 1/2 inch version. 2 inch is special order at my store.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/kerdi-b ... nd-/824220

Nat

Old 04-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2000

wow, sounds great, much appreciated!
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
You may have to ask for it.

Only the biggest stores here carry it. The rest it's special order, but still the same cost.

Nat
If you go to the website and punch in you zip, you'll get the local dealers within 110 mile radius.

Info very much appreciated by this neophyte skoolie, Nat.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Your welcome folks. Glad to help.

I hope to see some pics in a build other than mine one day.

Nat

Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Hey Nat,
At home I have Corian counter tops that are self supporting. That is, there is no backer board--the Corian is glued (with Silicone caulk) to the vertical edges of the cabinets themselves. I'm wondering if a Corian-type product (including Sile Stone, etc.) can be installed the same way in a bus, or if additional support is required due to motion and frame flex. Your comments?

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
Hey Nat,
At home I have Corian counter tops that are self supporting. That is, there is no backer board--the Corian is glued (with Silicone caulk) to the vertical edges of the cabinets themselves. I'm wondering if a Corian-type product (including Sile Stone, etc.) can be installed the same way in a bus, or if additional support is required due to motion and frame flex. Your comments?
As long as the cabinets are rigid enough, it will be fine mounted the same way.

Most bus counter tops are small anyhow, so flex would be minimal.

Nat

Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Thanks for sharing!!!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3160
Nat,

Have you ever used the Kerdi Board on a vertical surface? We are creating our own shower stall and I wanted to use a faux concrete finish, but I'm concerned about the flexing during travel, so I'm considering tile. Can I use the Kerdi Board for the walls of my shower stall?

Becky
GilligusMaxibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Yes.

I would back it with a half inch plywood, spanning the studs every 12 to 16 inches depending on the size of your tiles.

Larger tiles will crack with any flex, smaller are more tolerant.

I like big tiles, not small.

Nat