Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48
wiring to truck camper ?

I have a truck camper that I rebuilt. I tore down the aluminum siding and r + r'd the rotten wood then re-skinned with custom made aluminum siding. This was done over two years....yeah, I'm slow! However, now that I've fixed all the rot I'm at the point of trying to hook up the exterior wiring for a 7-pin rv style plug. I thought all the wires poking out under the side would be the normal vehicle type wires and application. Not so!!! I found one heavy [6-Ga?] solid-core green wire that is hooked to 120V ground, and another heavy [6ga?] yellow wire that also seems to go the the same 120V breaker box - to the hot side. There is some light gauge [18ga?] red, green, and brown wires that would seem to lead to running and stop, turn, taillights. And then some heavy gauge [8ga?] yellow and black wires. It seems the yellow wires eventually end up twisted together with a large wire nut. Can anyone shed light on how these are supposed to be wired? Is the yellow and black the equivalent to the white and black of house wiring but 12V? Would black be ground or yellow? Coming from my truck white is ground so does the 12V of the camper follow a similar coloring scheme?

Some pics;
You can see the green and yellow 120v with the original terminals, what would they normally be hooked to?

the rest,

running light wires, both are green. Does one green go to hot side of bulb and other to ground side? both green to hot?

where the yellows terminate behind the three-way fridge,

And a pic of the nearly finished project,

alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48
Re: wiring to truck camper ?

Both greens for the running lights go to hot. I ran a ground to the camper skin. Tested the wires for stop and turn and they have power, just have to install them.

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote