Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 70
466 International Power Loss

I have a 1992 70 pass skoolie with a 466 International and an Allison AT transmission. The motor seems to be cutting out/loosing power on a 15 second cycle at around 2500 rpms or when moving up to speed. She sputters and pushes out gray smoke and leaves an unspent fuel smell in the bus and losses about two to five RPMs or abut 5 MPH. At times she cuts out all together for a second or two and then comes back to life. I converted her about 4 years ago and have made several trips from North Central Iowa to Northern MN with no problems until this started last spring. I nor my diesel mechanic friends can figure out the problem. they are leaning towards a pump rebuild which will cost me 2k - that is what I paid for the bus - Ouch. converting the bus is one ting but I am not a mechanic. Any help would be appreciated. Oh - it is a diesel and it doe snot have the electronics. i have changed the filters several times so I know it is not filters... I checked the fuel line for leaks thinking it may be getting air but found nothing. Wondering if it could be injectors?

bleckrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: 466 International Power Loss

Not a mechanic but I would start checking the simple and cheap stuff first. Fuel filer, shutoff solenoid, broken or shorting wires, battery cables and connections. If your mechanic doesn't know what it is but wants to go straight to the IP before diagnosing the problem would send me to another mechanic. Replacing parts the you don't know are broken is a fast way to go broke.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: 466 International Power Loss

I didnt think they were governed that high. Anyways, will it do it if you sit in neutral and run it up or is it just under load? Whats the engine temp when you are doing this...normal? You're not running veggie fuel, are you? You could pull the filters and fill them with Power Service and run that through it and see if that helps clean it. Start simple and go from there. Sounds like an injector issue to me.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote