Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Underneath Storage

Hey does anyone have any pictures of some underneath storage that may be welded to the frame or something?

I was wondering if it is even possible to do storage similar to charter bus storage....any ideas?

Lacey119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73
Re: Underneath Storage

I dont have any pictures yet but this week I started putting a box underneath the bus,
It is a standard rectangular truck box, I am mounting it turned on its side so instead of opening on the top it opens on its side,
I cut a hole on the side skirt of the bus between the vertical frame pieces,
I have now realized why most things that are mounted under a bus/truck use hangers since if you try to bolt the sides of a box to side frame pieces you end up deforming the "square" of the edges of the box thereby making it hard to shut the lid.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

That's super helpful to know and also a really good idea. so what part of the bus is the actual box connected to? I know I'll have to weld my water tanks to the bottom but I don't have my bus yet so I don't really have a good idea of how much space is there.
Lacey119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73

My bus has 12 ribs, they are like upside down U's, they support the roof and walls, their is a window between each rib, they extend down to the bottom of the skirts on each side of the bus, they are between 27 to 33 inches apart,
I bolted the right and left side of the box to these vertical supports, I then bolted the rear top-most portion of the box to the floor of the bus.
But remember you dont want to deform the box if it has its own built in lid, if you deform the box then the lid will not close, I am still trying to figure out how to un-deform my box so the lid will start closing correctly/easily again.
The next time I will use some type of hangers, look at how your fuel tank is connected to the frame, these are the type of hangers I am talking about, they dont need to be as strong as fuel tank hangers but they should greatly decrease the chance of deforming the box.
I would say look at how many skoolie owners have installed their water tanks under the bus, their are many methods of hanging a box,