Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1968
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: B602
Rated Cap: 58
Send a message via AIM to James P Send a message via MSN to James P
My Project - 1968 Bluebird Ford B600 Skoolie

So im starting my own thread. Pictures will be updated at http://www.trolleybus.ca/bus
The bus is a 1968 Bluebird Ford B600. It is classifed as a motorhome so this will be easier in the long run. It was used as a motorhome but very little permanent. it has been gutted out which is great because i can do my own thing now. Bus is actually in very excellent condition and does move as we did move it tonight!

Pics are at the URL above. Below is a couple pics of me with my girl.

Plans: Total living / traveling unit. Interior will be tounge and groove pine on ceilings and walls. I plan to remove the pannelings so i can reinsulate. windows - will be gone. Going to put rv windows in. Exterior, The body area will be sided but the front of the bus will be kept original look with a little fixie upies.

Plans are for Black and grey water tanks along with Fresh. 2 water pumps. one on the fresh water and then theres one on the grey to flush the toilet.

3 way life to most of it, 12 and 120 volt along with propane for the stove and fridge and heat.

I plan shower and toilet. Double to queen bed along with 1 set of bunk beds for my girls.

i hvae 20 feet of room to work with so it will be tight but useable!

Again http://www.trolleybus.ca/bus is where ill keep posted

Here is a couple pics of me with my girl.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: My Project - 1968 Bluebird Ford B600 Skoolie

I have always liked pine T&G and I am doing my bus with it. Pics. at link in my sig. if your interested. Welcome aboard!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Abbot. Many years ago we did a whole 2 floor cottage witha 14' cathedral ceiling with the pine. i love working with it and i plan on using the thinner boards so it's easier to use on the ceiling.

I like you bus. i just quickly viewed a bit of it but nice work. i don't plan to put 2x4 studding in it except for the bedroom area where im thinking of a pocket door for it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I have been thinking about the roof raising but i think im also chicken!! The center from the current floor (Which im taking up and replacing) to the middle of the celing is 6'4" and sides are about 5'2" so it isn't that high.

But it's still going to be a fun project. I'm 5'10" and my wife is a bit shorter so for us, it should'nt be too bad.

Thanks for the welcoming!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Ok. Im going crazy. i think i do want to raise the roof now. Ugh its a mind boggler... I want to do it because it would be awesome. However ive never done this before. hell im just going to learn again how to weld and stuff too.... it could be an adventure but could also be a disaster.

How many people around here survive with a lower ceiling?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I sure wouldn't ever try & talk anyone out of building what they wanted, but I will also state this. If you aren't "better than average" with your hands, or have friends who are, I'd think long & hard, as well as closely inspect the threads of the guys on here who've done it to see what you're in for. I can't speak for anyone who has, but seriously doubt anyone would have a problem offering you advice in the event you choose to proceed. You won't find a better or more helpful bunch than right here!

If someone is considering a project (as extensive as this) and they're already "iffy" about being able to complete it.....then they may not be able to. I'd just hate to see someone begin an undertaking like this, only to find-out they later regretted doing so. Again, not trying to change your mind.....just suggesting you be realistic about your abilities.

If I were shorter, I probably never would have even considered it. Even at my height I still decided against doing it myself, but if I'm to live in the bus....lol, especially already living with spine problems, constantly stooping is the last thing I want to do. Thankfully I have a fair amount of sheetmetal & welding skills, & bodywork as well as access to tools I no longer own.

Smitty
Thanks for the advice.

I am though a Jack of all trades, master of none. I have a lot of maintenance and construction experience in my past... i just wonder if the laziness of me will take over!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I have posted a step by step of my Roof Raise which can be found at the link in my sig. I would be happy to offer any and all help that I can about what I learned, either posted here or by e-mail.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P
except for the bedroom area where im thinking of a pocket door for it.
I thought about using two pocket doors to close off fore and aft of the bathroom in my bus but I thought they would rattle to much when traveling. I went ahead and purchased two of those vinyl sliders instead. If you do use pocket-doors let us know how they sound going down the road.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

One answer to quiet the rattling of pocket doors is to use automotive windlace and/or felted automotive window track. Any surface the door or the door's hardware will come into contact with other hardware (rollers/roller track, guides, etc.) or surfaces will then ride on fabric like your car windows do. This cushions and minimizes vibration and the noises produced.

While I have no pictures to illustrate, I have made and tested mock-ups as I plan on at least one set of pocket doors in my bus, too. In the tests, the above materials performed well, are available at a reasonable price, in decent lengths that can be cut and shaped to fit the application. JC Whitney (and others) offer some different styles, but if you visit some of your local body shops, they may let you have their scraps for free (that's where I get mine).

You might also consider the "brush"-type of exterior house door floor sweep/draft barrier material, particularly on inside framing of the studs the door passes between. It will help prevent lateral vibration of the door.

Obviously, the closer the build tolerance, the less vibration-proofing required.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
After thinking, I hope you didn't take my post as talking "down" to you regarding your skills....wasn't intended that way. Just didn't want to see you get in over your head & set your bus on the back-burner.

Smitty
Nope not at all. all the comments help very much. last thing i want to do is land up with a half a bus!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #11

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I can help with cutting the roof off. After that you're on your own. Just kidding. Before you tackle a project like raising your roof, look back in your life at other projects you've done. If you are good at taking things all the way through completion and you feel that you have or can acquire the skills that you need to see it through, then go fot it. If not, FOGETABOUTIT! You will just end up with a hunk of crap in your driveway. I have seen pictures of coaches that are stripped to nothing and are for sale. That is why I would never consider doing that kind of work to my bus. Because I would just f*** it up. My first conversion is going to be simple so I can use it, not look at it growing weeds. Please don't take what I've said in a bad way. I just think you should do your conversion without a roof raise unless you have done work like that. Cheers.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I can help with cutting the roof off. After that you're on your own. Just kidding. Before you tackle a project like raising your roof, look back in your life at other projects you've done. If you are good at taking things all the way through completion and you feel that you have or can acquire the skills that you need to see it through, then go fot it. If not, FOGETABOUTIT! You will just end up with a hunk of crap in your driveway. I have seen pictures of coaches that are stripped to nothing and are for sale. That is why I would never consider doing that kind of work to my bus. Because I would just f*** it up. My first conversion is going to be simple so I can use it, not look at it growing weeds. Please don't take what I've said in a bad way. I just think you should do your conversion without a roof raise unless you have done work like that. Cheers.
See i say im lazy but also i like this stuff as hobby so it is fun. i have enough experience doing stuff like this with wood in houses (I've actually raised a house roof!) so its doing it different doing this with metal and stuff.

Im still researching but i think the roof may just go up..... may....

Of course this being my first conversion and not my last, it may just stay down in it's current spot. i think im going to have a lot of fun with this as its more MY project as my wife says.

My wife was quite pissed to here i got the bus... after a few moments of her grumbling, i told her at least i have a home now for when she throws me out!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Bus Nut

if you are going to keep the bus and use it long term and or full time cut the roof and go for the headroom before you invest the energy and material involved in a deluxe conversion. TRX cut the roof off and replaced it with a square roof, check his conversion in the photo section.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
if you are going to keep the bus and use it long term and or full time cut the roof and go for the headroom before you invest the energy and material involved in a deluxe conversion. TRX cut the roof off and replaced it with a square roof, check his conversion in the photo section.
TRX sure did a nice job on that conversion, his and one other conversion I found on the net inspired me to purchase a bus. He also mentioned that if he did it again (square roof) that he would look for something that would make a one-piece roof covering. I do not know for certain but I took that to mean that he may have had trouble with the only roof joint (leak?).

TRX's Conversion

Before I started my conversion I thought about building a square roof for mine but the fact that I already had the material (the stock roof) at hand dissuaded me from doing so. I chose to not buy the extra material and to just stick with the stock roof going straight up.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Well i've decided im not going to raise the roof on this bus. not too keen on it, however i may try it on a short bus when i get one so i could use the room for a upper bunk and storage.

Anyways tonight my buddy Bill and I went up to do some odd's and ends. Tonight I hooked the fuel tank back up as it has been using just a short hose from the engine to a jerry can. Also put in the headlights and fixed some of the running lights and replaced some of the marker light covers, but i think the light switch is screwed because i couldnt get life out of the headlights or the running lights which did run before. so somethings f'd up. plus the rear signal wires are not getting any life. i did replace those lights for now. Found out all the gauges do work on the dash including the fuel which i was wondering.

The bus has been emptied out and im hoping to find a site where i can store it and work on it soon as my buddy really does want it out of his yard.

Check out new photo's at my site at http://www.trolleybus.ca/bus
Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Tonight I picked up a load (10 boxes) of flooring that I'm receiving for free. I'm getting about 35 boxes of mix and match. i don't care. I'm sure I can match up enough boxes to do what i want for the walls and floors and then do whatever with the rest. I've decided to stick to the tongue and groove paneling for the ceiling.

Below you'll see a pick of my van at the warehouse with 6 boxes on the roof. there are 4 in the car too. they are 50lbs each box so I didn't want to over do it. I also have a couple pics here showing a bit of one of the packs laid out on the floor.

So besides that tonight i worked on the lighting of the bus. My headlights did not work, the rear signals did not work and the marker lights quit working. Well after much work, i have no clue what's with the marker/clearance lights but most of them work but their wiring is so screwed up so i am going to run a new direct power line for them all and put a switch on my panel for them.

Last night we had replaced one of the headlights but couldn't get them going. tonight i replaced the hi/low beam switch and voila i could see the light!
The tail lights/signal lights on these buses are interesting. the signal light is on a separate circuit then the brake lights and running lights so you must have 2 lights on the back on the left and 2 on the right. So right now i managed to get the running lights working and the signals which it turns out the wires were cut under the dashboard so i had to reconnect those and voila we have running and signals!

To do some of the marker lights, i had to start taking the back ceiling panels out and the rear wall panel. This wasn't so bad. just some drilling of rivets and removal of screws. Looks like the bus had mice at some time living in the walls and to my surprise, it looked like squirrels may have also lived there at some time.

I removed the AM Radio that the last guy had installed under the dashboard. I plan on putting an am/fm/cd player in there instead.
Finally tonight i also removed the standee bars at the entrance and behind the driver. what a difference in space this makes even though it's so small. i had planned to take them out anyways because i want to put captains chair in the drivers seat and the co-pilots that can swivel around so they would have been in the way.

I also secured a storage spot for my bus today. Turns out the company is owned by a co-worker of mine so he has said he will have no problems with me working on the bus while it is parked at his rv yard and i will have come and go access all I want. Good to hear as I didn't want to be stuck with just a storage site.

pics at http://www.trolleybus.ca/bus
Old 08-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Snuck up for another shot at working on the bus. Today i moved it forward and back a bit just to give it some movement. it has no brakes right now just the parking brake so i didnt want to do too much. Anyways, i ripped out the upper front panel and 2 of the ceiling panels. This gave me a chance to start working on rewiring the marker lights as i want them all on one switch. So now the front ones and two front sides are hooked up.

Making a big mess in the bus with all the insulation crap.

took 12 more bundles of flooring up. Now i have enough oak laminate flooring for the floor and should have enough of a lighter kind for the walls. hell there is 22 bundles in there and i still have to pick up 15 ugh. i guess this is how it goes when you get stuff for free. I can have some but have to take it all. thats the deal! lol.

No pictures today because i forgot to take the camera. Well so i thought only to find it later sitting right there in the van! Next trip ill take a few pics.

I can't wait to get the bus moved to it's new parkign space 12 blocks from my house. It's a lot easier than driving 1 hour each way as i have been doing lately. I had a few days off this week which gave me some time to go up.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That'll be a huge help once you get it moved closer to home. The weather will be cooling-off as well, which will help too. Heck, you can always sell some of the left-over flooring or swap it for something you can use on Craigslist.

Smitty
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking once i get it organized and figure out what i have, swapping it might just work.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Well lately i have been so swamped with election work and 2nd job that i havent made it up to work on the bus, however heres the good news. Im tentatively bringing her home Saturday finally. I have found someone with a flatdeck truck that we can move it on. He has ramps but no winch so ill have to drive it up and down on it but thats ok. Much better than towing it.

If anyone is interested in helping financially, i am always accepting donations. email money transfer in canada is best. or cash. i don't use paypal cause its a pain. anyways email money transfer to james@Trolleybus.ca or deposit to a TD account accepted. I have had some others already donate a few bucks so its great.

I will be posting pics of the move probably sunday or so because i work saturday late afternoon/evenings now.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #20

Hi, James.

Good luck with your 1968 Bluebird bus project! As you are converting it, I would be interested in buying some of the parts you probably will be discarding. Please e-mail me, either way, at jebenstock@hotmail.com, thanks!

John Benstock
jebenstock is offline   Reply With Quote