Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
*Two Birds* - 1992 Bluebird TC2000 - Updated 10/20/14

I will change the thread title once I get home and my partner and I name our bus!

My girlfriend and I have been looking for a bus for some time now. For nearly a year, we have been browsing the market, and seriously pursuing our "perfect bus" for a few months now. We thought we had a bus lined up and I flew from Michigan to Florida to buy it a couple weeks ago (I had seen it in person before), only to have issues surface during the test drive that began pointing towards a faulty injection pump

Then, I drove to Kentucky and Tennessee (for a week of concerts... I am a musician) and proceeded to call a gazillion school districts, visit a dealer, and scour craigslist for miles and miles, only to turn up nothing.

Finally, a bus popped up that we liked. It happened to be near where I am doing concerts this weekend and everything looked promising. I arranged a few days ago to meet with the seller and then yesterday, met with him and the bus felt like the one right away! I spent a few hours going over it, started it up, etc. I didn't get to drive it, because it's still technically a school bus... but I did pass it while they were driving it on my way into town to check it out, so I know it's roadworthy!

It meets all our criteria. We were looking for a flat-nose, preferably Bluebird, low miles, little to no rust (hard to find in Michigan), 5.9 cummins w/ Bosch P7100 IP (best pump for veggie oil conversion), 28-35 ft, clean, etc.

What we found:
-1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE (We need access through a rear door)
-34' long
-Cummins 5.9 w/ Inline Bosch P7100 pump - Some sites say they didn't put these pumps on the '92 5.9 cummins, but I have seen them on two '92 Bluebirds
-AT545 Allison Transmission
-less than 80,000 miles - (only 9,000 miles put on it in the last ten years by the private school that owns it... it was for field trips)
-BRAND NEW tires... still have the little knobs on them!
-almost zero rust (a wee bit of surface rust in a couple places)
-Super clean, straight body with no damage
-Everything works as it should

We got it all at a price that fit within our budget. Even all the seats are super clean... no rips, tears, etc. It also came with a full tank of diesel, which will almost allow me to get all the way back to Michigan with it. My partner and I are extremely excited and it made all the downfalls in our search worth it. It's a PERFECT platform for us. The bus is like a time machine from 1992

Our plans:
-Full-Time living - my partner and I are no strangers to living in vehicles. I lived in a '77 VW Westfalia off and on for nearly 3 years while touring the USA with my music. Then, her and I lived for a year in a 1988 Toyota Liteace (VERY tiny) van we bought and converted in Australia, traveling the country. After, we moved back to the states and built my 2006 Chevy Colorado to make it campable. We lived in it and traveled for 2 months, but it wasn't very comfy for sleeping. We want to hit the road again with more comfort. We are ready for a bit more space! We had moved back into an apartment the last year to catch up on some things after traveling for 2 years together (and me for 2 additional years solo). We will get it into livable condition by June and then move in and finish it as we have the funds.
-Veggie Oil Conversion
-Solar Power
-Composting Toilet
-Kitchen area
-Hopefully a shower in the future
-Back "Garage" area for storage of music gear and onboard Veggie Oil filtration equipment
-Sleeping Quarters
-Futon for "Guest Quarters" - We have been blessed to be invited into the home of so many people around the world and are excited at the possibility of sharing our life on the road with friends!

I drive it home on Monday from its current location. Then, I will take the Greyhound back to pick up my truck and drive it home. Lots of traveling... I have already been on the road for 3 weeks and this will extend my travels nearly another week, but it's all fine!

We will also be using the bus to help promote our travel blog. We are going to be completely redesigning the blog and making it much more professional in the coming months, but here's a link with some photos and stories of our travels from Australia and SE Asia:

http://www.livelovetraveldream.com

Many thanks to everyone who has answered my many questions and posted all of the amazing information on here that aided in our research. I have been researching diligently for about a year and a half and have been inspired by many Skoolies on here!

I would love to post a photo but am getting a "Board Attachment Quota Has Been Reached" message. I will try to host the photo on my site. Give me a couple minutes and I will post a photo!

EDIT: A few days late, but here's a pic!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: A Bus at Last!!! *UNNAMED*

Welcome from a fellow Michigander!

This forum has limited photo storage capabilities but you can open a free Photobucket account and link to as many pics as you like in your posts.

Linking to Photobucket pictures:

Once you've got your pictures uploaded to photobucket, click the "Library" button to display your pics. Mouse over the picture you want to link to and a star shape will appear in the upper right corner. Mouse over the star and a menu will pop up. Click "Get Links" and another menu will pop up. Click the field beneath "IMG Codes" and it will briefly flash "Copied".

Now come back to your Skoolie message and right-click/paste the link within the message where you want the picture to appear. To verify that the link is working, scroll down to the bottom of the message window and click the "Preview" button. If the message looks good, click "Submit" and you're done.

It's just....that...easy.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Congrats on the new bus, welcome to the madness and let the adventure begin
Old 04-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Is this bus going to have a jacuzzi in it?

If not, why not?

Lol
Old 04-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Skoolie

No trailers here Although... a Jacuzzi would be nice!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Skoolie

Here's the start of my list of silly questions for the drive home... I am sure I will have more as the time gets closer! I'm getting a bit nervous about the long drive for a such a big vehicle and have lots of goofy questions floating through my head like:

1.) When pulling into a highway truck stop to fill up on diesel... do I head to the truck side or the car side of the gas station to fuel up the bus? A lot of truck stops always have huge lines for the semis to fuel up. I would guess that I head towards the car side, as I have seen RVs at those pumps. What is your experience?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Personally, I always headed for the shortest line in most cases. That said, there are at least two other considerations...

1. Check to make sure the "car lane" has adequate overhead clearance...and...
2. Check for any difference in price.

Some chains price their "Auto Diesel" higher than their "Trucker Diesel".

Some other folks here may be able to add to the above, if so please do.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by White99z
Here's the start of my list of silly questions for the drive home... I am sure I will have more as the time gets closer! I'm getting a bit nervous about the long drive for a such a big vehicle and have lots of goofy questions floating through my head like:

1.) When pulling into a highway truck stop to fill up on diesel... do I head to the truck side or the car side of the gas station to fuel up the bus? A lot of truck stops always have huge lines for the semis to fuel up. I would guess that I head towards the car side, as I have seen RVs at those pumps. What is your experience?
I prefer the auto diesel pumps. The previous points are quite valid. Many regular gas stations also have diesel, and its often on the pump furthest from the building which makes it easier to get a large truck near the pump.

My biggest dislike with the big truck pumps at the truck stop is that in my experience they rarely allow you to pay at the pump. You are forced to pull up to the pumps, walk in, stand in line, drop a pile of cash or a card, go back out, turn on the main pump, set it on the ground because your fuel tank is on the opposite side. Walk over to the satellite pump, fill your tank, hopefully remember to go back and hang up the main pump nozzle before standing in line a second time to get your change.

NO THANKS!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Today is the day, right?

Any updates?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78

White99z~
Congratulations on finding THE bus! Perseverance sure does pay off! I will be following your thread closely, as it seems you may be a week ahead of me in timing! Our bus should be delivered this weekend! I am extremely interested in your biodiesel adventure. Good luck with your bus retrieval!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Skoolie

The bus is home!!! I made the 700+ mile trip home with 0 problems. The bus performed flawlessly. I camped out somewhere in Pennsylvania last night and slept in the aisle with my sleeping bag, and finished the drive this morning. We start tearing the seats and floor out tomorrow! I'll try to get some pics up tonight!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Skoolie

Re: A Bus at Last!!! *Two Birds*

By the way, we named the bus Two Birds We are both bird (and other animal) lovers and we travel a lot. My friend in Africa that I lived with for many months always said... "Jeremy, you travel like a bird!". We figured it was fitting as our lovely bus is a Bluebird

Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

The bus adventure begins! I went to your blog and looked at some of your pics of your travels in other countries- I was impressed and entertained! Your name for your bus is fitting- it will be fun to watch your progress as you begin your conversion of the bus.

By the way, do you have a link to a video showing how you play the flying saucer looking instrument? I'd like to see how you play it, and what it sounds like!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Great platform! --- Birds are really hard to beat. Just do it your way and it will be "right".
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburt
By the way, do you have a link to a video showing how you play the flying saucer looking instrument? I'd like to see how you play it, and what it sounds like!
Sure thing! I make my living playing this "flying saucer looking instrument. It is called a Handpan. The original of these instruments is the Hang, created in Switzerland in 2001. Check out more at my site at www.JeremyArndt.com

My latest music video here:
http://youtu.be/BImc4PhBYE0

Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Great platform! --- Birds are really hard to beat.
A Bird is what we wanted most!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Saw a chap here in Houston playing a "Hang Drum"...absolutely mesmerizing sound! Nothing else like it...very cool. And...it doesn't take nearly as much wind as a Didgeridoo!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Saw a chap here in Houston playing a "Hang Drum"...absolutely mesmerizing sound! Nothing else like it...very cool. And...it doesn't take nearly as much wind as a Didgeridoo!
Nope! But I play them both together! Handpan on the lap and didgeridoo on a stand. Simultaneous!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Skoolie

All in a day's work!

This morning at 8 AM, we started out with a plain, old school bus. 24 seats.

We started off ratcheting them by hand... yikes! Fortunately, we had a family member bring over his impact gun. It made quick work of the seats. We had 0 rusty bolts to deal with.

We didn't forget to stop and have some fun with the toys we found in the seats too! Fortunately, I didn't chew any of the old bubblegum.

By noon, we had the seats out and took a pizza break!

The flooring was a bit tougher than the seats! What a mess. The wood was rotted and still wet

We offered another family member all the seats for scrap if he hauled off all the garbage too. He insisted on taking it all in one trip and, to our surprise, did so with no problems This scared the hell out of me, but he insisted he had hauled worse with his truck (He scraps metal often). It was only a couple miles to the scrapyard.

By 5 PM, we were all cleaned up, flooring removed, and swept out. Just in time for my partner to come home from work! We left the entry bit of flooring in for the time being, because the wood and rubber was in great shape. 9 hours of hard work, but we got it all done!

Just before nightfall, we drove it to it's temporary parking spot for the next 9 weeks. We will work on it in a couple different locations. The driveway location from above (complete with a nicely outfitted woodshop in the back), and this spot here.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78

Congratulations on all that work!! Love the pictures!