Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73
mount a window AC unit above the windshield

What do you think,
I would like to mount a small window AC unit above the windshield, once the hole is cut for it their will have 3 inches of clearance above and below once I cut the hole. 12in tall by 14in wide, 8in deep
The structural strength of the void between the outside wall and the inside wall (above the windshield) is on the bottom of the void.
This void is where the 8 way lights are mounted.
Their is an upside down C channel ~14ga that lines the bottom of the space/void, front to back the space is about 8in wide, I will bolt another piece of 2in square tube below the C channel to strengthen it against the AC unit
So far the plan is to cut a hole large enough to fit the AC unit, I will place a flat piece of metal on the bottom hole to support the AC unit, this flat piece will be 12in wide and will have a 1in tall lip on the outside to prevent the AC unit from falling on the hood.
I have the solar/battery/generator power to run the unit, I have been testing its power consumption for a few weeks.
I have already made one of the bottom cuts, I will just cut part of the hatch so it will still swing down on either end to still allow access to the void. I have already bolted the 2in square tube on the bottom.

I just thought I would ask for opinions before I start cutting the forward facing panel,
Any issues with running the AC unit while driving, anything with having 60mph wind hitting the unit?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: mount a window AC unit above the windshield

hole above windshield for AC unit,
I have already made the inner cuts to the top/bottom, I did not need to cut very far into the upper hinge.
I painted the front most wall white to make it easier to mark for cutting.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Almost There

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

I guess it wont let me post a pic?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Drip line for the pan

The drip line terminates above the driver and the rain gutter above the windshield directs the water run off.

The rear a/c unit looks similar.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

What size AC unit and how well does that work out.

Noticed that there seems to be no airflow on the driver. Are you going to install a fan to blow air towards that area?

I was wondering if anyone had done this and it seems someone has.

You all are too smart/clever!
abwetzel63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

Only see two problems with the A/C mounted that way is that it will not likely cool to well when traveling as the airflow will be reversed from the way it was designed. (fan in a/c unit pushes air out the back through the condenser.) It would work ok when parked and no wind blowing air in a reverse direction through the condenser. You would also want to protect the condenser filling up with bug strikes which would limit air flow through the condenser, maybe put a bug screen over it when traveling. Just some observations.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Bus Geek

We do not plan for the front A/C to be run while it is traveling but we might depending on the weather. The front and rear A/Cs does just fine with 70 mph winds blowing into that side of the bus. We actually have 45 to 60 mph winds almost daily every week and the winds tend to hit 70 mph about once a month.... with LOTS of dust. And then when we have storms, the wind gets stronger.

All the vent covers already have a bug screen in it. They come that way.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Almost There

perfect information, thanks
My unit is much smaller, it will only stick out about 2 inches on the outside and inside,
My AC unit has openings on the top and both sides for air circulation, will their be a problem with those holes/openings being enclosed inside the void/plenum, I still have the 8 way lights installed,
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

We were going to keep lights up in the flashers. Reconsidered it as we finally decided we needed to use it for air. The rear bulkhead is completely empty for funneling air to the sides of the 6050BTU Air conditioner. The front bulkhead was full of wiring, so we had to build ducts from the flasher openings to the sides of the unit. Neither of our A/C units stick out past the exterior wall of the bus. We have been thru more than one hail storm out here and have seen the damage done to A/C units, both roof top and window units. The big metallic silver vent cover in the center of the bulkhead is a roof vent. The one that is on the rear had to be extended out by a couple of inches. These vents allow the interior fan to push the air thru the fins and out even in high winds. Also protects the fins from hailstone damage. You do have to remember to allow for the accumulated water to drain someplace.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Lorna,

Thanks for the answer about running the AC while driving, which posted before my questions above.

Late posting makes me look slooooow. Can't wait to advance to the next level of posting privilages.

So, no use of front mounted AC while driving. Got it. Can you use a sidemounted window ac while driving or try to keep the ac unit of the bus intact for roadwork? Very curious as I love AC but despise automotive AC for its complexity and cost.

Sorry for the tangential hijack, but these were questions I was going to ask when I started.

Thanks all

Andrew
abwetzel63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Skoolie

I bought a regular RV ac unit new it was like 500 bux, they even threw in the electric heat strip kit with the deal, best 500 bux I ever spent, cooled my 66 passenger really good even going down the hwy on a moderate hot day (less than 90 degrees) .

Cut a hole in the roof and mounting was easy ran the wires between the roof and ceiling down to the wall then into the tray that catches the rest of the bus wires, ran it back to the generator.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote