Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Grit

Hello amazing people!

I am very humbled to introduce you to my conversion project, her name is Grit. Before I introduce you to her, let me give you a little context as to why she is in my life. As some of you might know, the rent in San Francisco is insane but I'm not one to complain about things I can control. Furthermore, I started a new career working for a bitcoin company and I am absolutely thrilled to be a part of my team and working in the industry that will impact the world in more positive ways than we can imagine. The only downside is the hour long commute will slowly kill me and the value of living in SF isn't worth much considering how little time I actually spend there. Throw in not being able to see my friends much during the work week and I've got myself a host of first world problems.

So I bought a bus and named her, Grit!

The plan is to convert her in to a fully functioning livable space, live in Palo Alto during the work week, and live in San Francisco on the weekends in the bus.

I had, nor have any clue what I am getting myself in to -- hence being really freakin humbled by what most people on here have done and thank you for this community! I spent about 2 months looking for the bus. Thankfully, I came across someone who was very trustworthy individual with an amazing bus that fit my needs perfectly. I bought a 95' International with a DT466 engine, 36 feet long, and in incredible condition.

Here we go guys:

I bought the bus off of Dennis June 13th, 2014. Dennis is simply an incredible human being. After spending a few hours on the phone talking me through every detail of the bus, he picked me from the Boise airport and we spent half the day together where I received life lesson, after life lesson. We smoothly took care of business at the DMV where everyone knew Dennis by name, we ran an errand or two for his wife (otherwise we couldn't go back home;), and chatted bitcoin for over an hour at the Chinese buffet. Dennis admits that he likes to preach (he's got, I think 5 kids, and used to be a teacher) and I enjoy listening...Thank you Dennis.

Pictures and more posts to come on the progress so far. Thanks fro reading.

grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Grit

Welcome to the site!

You will find so many resources and points of inspiration on this site... have no fear! Good luck with your project and welcome to the madness!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

Welcome to the world of school bus conversions. I also live in the Bay Area and housing prices and rent are out of site. I tell people that you can buy an entire county in Mississippi for what it costs to buy a house in the San Francisco area. It is just nuts. So, converting a school bus to a second life of providing needed shelter is a great thing!!!

We love picture on this site. Lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures. Also, we all freely give you suggestions and advice. We are all passionate about our conversion projects and we all have wonderful experiences with our conversions. Learn from our mistakes and our successes!!

Again, welcome!!

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Ok, some more preachin' here from Dennis!! Get those pics on my man! We need to see where you have the bus, what you have done, etc!
Ok, 'nuff preaching for today- are you going to make it to Burning Man with the bus? Just wondering.
Did you have a good trip back from Idaho?
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Welcome aboard. Were you able to buy the bus and pay for fuel with bitcoin.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you, Sara! Those sentiments mean a lot more now that I've had to implement a no fear policy in this build out! Ha. Sorry for the long response time.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you, Marvel's!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

DBurt!! Boy has it been a journey so far my friend... I'm sorry its taken me so long to respond and keep updated. This is such a learning opportunity and its only getting better. Pics and more to come!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Testing, testing. This is an Album of pictures that I've compiled so far. In the near future, I'll post pictures with more intent - things that are built, before/after, and asking for your advice.

I hope this link for you all. Let me know if you have questions. Enjoy the weekend!

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/66ROXMGoUTq9w2q

Danny
Old 02-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408
Welcome to the club!! I've got a 1995 Amtrans myself. Lovin' the International product. Well with one caveat. I seriously hate the instrument cluster on these things. Trying to find some real gauges for mine.

My build thread is under the same name "Sojourner" although my bus is named Gimel (Hebrew for "camel").
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Catapiller
Hey! Welcome aboard. I am also in the bay and in the earlier phases of my skoolie. I am in the North Bay. Are you in the South Bay?
Gwenweiss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
welcome, nice work on your bus, I see you have a propane tank that is frame mounted, are you installing it? or using the 20lb tank(in the picture)? Personal I wouldn't use a frame mount, there seems to fewer places that fill them,with 20lb tanks you can exchange them just about any where.
keep up the good work.
gbstewart
Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Welcome! Keep the pictures coming, and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
welcome, nice work on your bus, I see you have a propane tank that is frame mounted, are you installing it? or using the 20lb tank(in the picture)? Personal I wouldn't use a frame mount, there seems to fewer places that fill them,with 20lb tanks you can exchange them just about any where.
keep up the good work.
gbstewart
I'm buying a larger one soon - a 50lb / 10gal horizontal. The pictures are from an older one I considered on CL. Thankfully there is a place just outside of San Francisco that fills them (Suburban Propane). My hope is that it is big enough to power everything for a while and decrease on the upkeep on changing tanks / filling up on water.

Thanks for the thought! I'll certainly keep that in mind and have to make sure to fill up before a longer trip.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenweiss22 View Post
Hey! Welcome aboard. I am also in the bay and in the earlier phases of my skoolie. I am in the North Bay. Are you in the South Bay?
She is parked on Treasure Island right now, was in Brisbane which is just south of San Francisco.

Do you have your own skoolie? I'm going back and forth about installing insulation or not... and what kind etc with our weather here. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
She is parked on Treasure Island right now, was in Brisbane which is just south of San Francisco.

Do you have your own skoolie? I'm going back and forth about installing insulation or not... and what kind etc with our weather here. Thoughts?
I'm in Vacaville
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote