Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Year: 1987
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: 6.9L
The Living Bus Project

The Living Bus Project is a self-contained and closed-loop "tiny house" inspired by the Living Building Challenge. It is currently being built using LEED Platinum Standards and demonstrates the possibilities for: Ecological Water Flow, Net Zero Water, Net Zero Energy, FSC Certified Lumber, Alternative Biofuels and uses only Environmentally Friendly & Sustainable products. The layout measures in at just over 206 sq ft and happens to rest on a heavy-duty International school bus chassis. The ability to travel in a reliable manner was key in our efforts and was the primary reason we chose this platform. The Living Bus Project is a sustainable vehicle with a 2,400 mile range - capable of traveling to almost any location on a single tank of HEMP-derived biofuel.

We have established a "blog" to provide a little more information about ourselves and this project. It can be found here ---> http://ourcascadia.blogspot.com

A great place to start learning about our project's concept would be here ---> http://ourcascadia.blogspot.com/2014...materials.html

In addition to the "build-out" we intend to create a non-profit organization so we may better educate our community in regards to alternative housing solutions and sustainable building practices. We are currently attempting to raise funds through Indiegogo for our non-profit start-up costs. We hope to challenge others to reconsider how we have chosen to build, live, and interact with our surrounding environment. The Living Bus Project will act as an open source demonstration model for this purpose. We intend to support alternative ideas with the Cascadian Bio-Region upon its completion and help others to create sustainable communities within the Pacific Northwest.

A further description of our non-profit fundraising can be found here ---> http://igg.me/thelivingbusproject

We are happy to provide any of the build-out plans and information to those who are interested... please feel free to ask and we will do our best to share!

-William

TheLivingBusProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: The Living Bus Project

Welcome

300 gallons of hemp biofuel, where do you plan to store this?

Where will you make this fuel while on the road?

You need to have access to 600 gallons to make a round trip

How do you plan to travel with 600 gallons of fuel, this will get you to your destination and then be able to head back home for more fuel...that's almost 5000lbs of fuel

and that is a big project to make that much fuel, isn't it?

I did some reading here:

http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/u...emp/hemp-fuel/
and
http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/u...emp-biodiesel/

Good luck and post pictures

*************************************EDIT********* *****************************

I am editing this after reading your blog, you are planning to do all this with no $$$$$$$$

If you can't afford to pay $750 for a shady business license, to ride around the country on OUR dime...

If you can't afford this adventure then you shouldn't do this...

Do you have jobs, with income?

it seems like more and more people going the easy way out, at least the last 3->5 years....works with the mentality of this country

I REALLY DISPISE PEOPLE TRYING TO ALWAYS GET THROUGH LIFE WITH FREEBIES

good luck with your project and work harder for a better outcome
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #3

RE: Bansil... WOW! Not only are you quick to your own conclusions - but, you also seem to be incredibly judgmental as well. Its unfortunate that you do not understand us, our goals, the concept... and I would suppose, just about everything else we would stand for in life. I will never be able to convince you otherwise and guess what... THATS OK! Its not my place to convince you or anyone else. I am simply here to share.

To answer your question regarding fuel storage... http://ourcascadia.blogspot.com/2014...-platform.html

The vehicle operates fully using biodiesel as our primary fuel source. The vehicle currently has FOUR (4) 60-gallon fuel tanks mounted underneath: two fuel tanks up front and two fuel tanks in the middle (one on either side). This provides for 240 gallons of fuel storage capacity and a vehicle range of approximately 2500 miles. The tanks are all inter-connected and isolated by bronze ball-valves. This allows you to fill just one, two, three, or all four.

If you are looking for a "Road Warrior" capable of doing 75+MPH on the freeway... this certainly isn't it. I am sorry if you don't understand.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Welcome

300 gallons of hemp biofuel, where do you plan to store this?

Where will you make this fuel while on the road?

You need to have access to 600 gallons to make a round trip

How do you plan to travel with 600 gallons of fuel, this will get you to your destination and then be able to head back home for more fuel...that's almost 5000lbs of fuel

and that is a big project to make that much fuel, isn't it?

I did some reading here:

http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/u...emp/hemp-fuel/
and
http://www.hemp.com/hemp-education/u...emp-biodiesel/

Good luck and post pictures

*************************************EDIT********* *****************************

I am editing this after reading your blog, you are planning to do all this with no $$$$$$$$

If you can't afford to pay $750 for a shady business license, to ride around the country on OUR dime...

If you can't afford this adventure then you shouldn't do this...

Do you have jobs, with income?

it seems like more and more people going the easy way out, at least the last 3->5 years....works with the mentality of this country

I REALLY DISPISE PEOPLE TRYING TO ALWAYS GET THROUGH LIFE WITH FREEBIES

good luck with your project and work harder for a better outcome
Hey, hey, hey. Why are you ALWAYS trying to screw things up by injecting facts into the discussion? You're a real downer man. You need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Open your wallet and donate to our cause, man.

P.S. Free food is OK though, like wine and cheese. And maybe a little Bresaola and salami. And some good homemade artisan bread too.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #5

Hmmm, 3-5 years, actually 6 years. What happened around that time?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Hmmm, 3-5 years, actually 6 years. What happened around that time?
oohhh...oohhhh...
I know...I know...
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I think I finally crossed the line. That bus is adorable. It makes me go squeeeee on the inside. And the outside.

Dammit. *Hands off the Man Card* Take it, I don't deserve to have stolen it from my ex.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBusProject
... If you are looking for a "Road Warrior" capable of doing 75+MPH on the freeway... this certainly isn't it. I am sorry if you don't understand.
I can promise you that Bansil isn't under any illusion that a skoolie will do 75+mph on any freeway... unless it's freewheeling down the steep side on Monteagle Mountain on I24. In case you don't know, that is a stretch on I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga that is so infamous it even made it into Jerry Reed's song "" and Johnny Cash's "" .

He is just as entitled to his opinion as you are. You are the one who is expousing a fuel that is notorious for needing lots of real estate to self-create. We have all seen plenty of the "I'm gonna make my own bio-fuel while traveling across the country" or "send me money to convert my bus because I'm a special person with a socially uplifting project" only to have those folks fade away after they run into problems with their project.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBusProject
RE: Bansil... WOW! Not only are you quick to your own conclusions - but, you also seem to be incredibly judgmental as well. Its unfortunate that you do not understand us, our goals, the concept... and I would suppose, just about everything else we would stand for in life. I will never be able to convince you otherwise and guess what... THATS OK! Its not my place to convince you or anyone else. I am simply here to share.

See we can all get along and have opinions , I do not like all the "projects" people post about on line wanting money to help them free load off the system, that's all

To answer your question regarding fuel storage... http://ourcascadia.blogspot.com/2014...-platform.html

that doesnt answer it, how will you make fuel on the road? i am curious, if you were here in TN. were would you get a couple tons of hemp for the oil? the part of the plant you smoke is easy to come by , the plants...I dont know????(if alcohol is used you need several hundred gallons)

again just curious

The vehicle operates fully using biodiesel as our primary fuel source. The vehicle currently has FOUR (4) 60-gallon fuel tanks mounted underneath: two fuel tanks up front and two fuel tanks in the middle (one on either side). This provides for 240 gallons of fuel storage capacity and a vehicle range of approximately 2500 miles. The tanks are all inter-connected and isolated by bronze ball-valves. This allows you to fill just one, two, three, or all four.

see above for storage of other things needed to make fuel......or you buy it at $3.79 a gallon, which is about a grand

unless you plan to go home every time you need fuel?????

If you are looking for a "Road Warrior" capable of doing 75+MPH on the freeway... this certainly isn't it. I am sorry if you don't understand.

This statement makes no sence, i leave it that way

now biggest issue is:

Every few months someone comes and talking this and that and first post links us to a Blog....go there and it seems everyone has kickstart or Indigo or.....really chaps me the wrong way

The free loading (501 non profit) to travel around on basically tax payers money (or should i say the lack of taxes put into the system)

I also dont believe churches should be able to us that either (different subject)

you have money or you have had alot of donations to rebuild the engine with quality parts and build the bus.

you have done a great job insulating and everything else

You have spent alot more than $750 to get this project were it is; so why ruin it trying to get alittle extra money

See? civil

Post more pictures as the project comes along, and if you get near me, stop in for a beer and we can chat

eta: these are my views and opinions, not this sites or anyone else......that is..... until my rights are further taken away
Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Bus Geek

so to enlighten me I have been reading, I notice it's the oil from the seeds and not the stalks (altho that can be refined as alcohol for gas products)

different cannabis plants also, interesting

How much raw bio diesel do you see out of say 5 gallons of hemp oil?

Do you plan to buy hemp oil or process your own?

Last question comes from sticker shock of processed hemp oil
from this site, I am sure there is better pricing, just tip of iceberg for my research into this

http://www.chii.ca/hemp-oil-prices.ihtml

$1499.60 for 52 gallons of oil, that is about $28 a gallon!

What kind of ratio is it mixed with regular diesel?

what is realistic price per gallon?

thank you for the answers!!

Also noticed some snake oil surrounding hemp oil, curing Cancer...

And it appears to be rather healthy in vitamins and such, neat

Since your planning on traveling and enlightening people to your ideas...I reckon I am your first customer

Show me the way..........
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Bus Geek

This is what bugs me.... It's okay to "brew/distill" bio-fuel but you can't distill a "bio-fuel" from corn squeezin's.

"But Mr. Revenuer, I'm just makin' bio-fuel to run my truck, not 'shine to drink!" Yep, now there's an argument that will fly... all the way to the federal pen.

BTW, you do realize that you have to pay state & federal road tax on the fuel you make.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

I will first address the issue with our non-profit (501c3) start-up costs. We are NOT asking for money for the build out as the vast majority of components are already purchased and the heavy lifting is already complete. We are simply attempting to surround ourselves with like-minded people for this project and welcome ALL to become a part of it. We are asking for community support to establish the non-profit in and of itself - nothing more. Yes, we could easily pay for the $750 to file our paperwork... but, this is not how we believe a non-profit should work. Non-profits should be created for a cause "by the people" and "for the people". By no means should they be created for self-interested individuals (as unfortunately so many are). If you knew our family on a personal level, you would certainly understand this (and us) much better. You would also realize that we are NOT some "fly-by-night" scheme attempting to take advantage of others. That is simply not who we are.

We have established a well-educated, diverse and independent board of directors to handle all financial and decision-making aspects of this project when the non-profit is established. The vehicle (and everything we have contributed towards it) will be gifted to the 501c3 and will remove all sense of ownership we currently have. This may be hard for some to understand - but, again if you knew us on a personal level then it wouldn't be very difficult to comprehend.

We have also established relationships within the business community to promote the many environmental aspects of our projects. This includes HEMP which is currently cost-prohibitive despite the advantages it has above other products. Yes, HEMP oil is currently expensive - we know. We have already done the cost-analysis and reached an agreement with a manufacturer if a 501c3 can be established. I would also like to state that this project encompasses so much more than just the source of its fuel. We do not wish to limit ourselves (or this discussion) to a single topic - especially one as sensitive as HEMP. The primary goal of this project is to raise awareness and demonstrate sustainable solutions in a viable manner.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

The water system starting to take shape.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

radiant floor heat? and the walls ,ceiling also?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
radiant floor heat? and the walls ,ceiling also?
PEX is being used for all of the plumbing (hot/cold/grey/aux/radiant) systems. It runs down both interior walls and crosses (in part) through the sub-floor above the rear axle into the hot water closet (on the right). I believe this is what you are referring to? There is a radiant heat system tied to a Jotul 404 stove as well as the solar hot water system. I am working on a schematic for the entire system which should give a better idea. It is a little complicated - but, essentially provides us with the ability to treat/store/tranfer up to 75gal of purified drinking water (from any source - including greywater) on a daily basis. Our storage capacity is 200 gal. With our limited consumption, this allows us to divert excess water to an outside source and provides a basic infrastructure to be shared with others when & where needed.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #16

Iffin you don't want to use hemp oil, hash oil is an alternative.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I can promise you that Bansil isn't under any illusion that a skoolie will do 75+mph on any freeway... unless it's freewheeling down the steep side on Monteagle Mountain on I24.
I can easily do 75+...on a flat. Matter of fact I tried it just once. Got to 75 and had quite a bit left but had no need to top it out. Too fast for a skoolie.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
...Too fast for a skoolie....
My point... Anyone who does 75+ mph in a vehicle that weighs what a converted skoolie does is asking for trouble. More to the point, I'm willing to bet that MOST fully converted skoolies (not the futon with a bucket type conversion) can't do those speeds or do them for long.... deliberately.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I can promise you that Bansil isn't under any illusion that a skoolie will do 75+mph on any freeway... unless it's freewheeling down the steep side on Monteagle Mountain on I24.
I can easily do 75+...on a flat. Matter of fact I tried it just once. Got to 75 and had quite a bit left but had no need to top it out. Too fast for a skoolie.
Braggart! Just cause you have an eight three, there is no need to rub it in.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

If you got it...flaunt it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote