Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: International
Bus Engine Repair / Replacement in DC / MD

I just bought a 1991 International that was converted, but sat for a few years. The engine needs replaced. Obviously, I am hoping to find a nearby shop that has access to a motor and interest in doing the work. The bus is in Baltimore right now, but I can have it towed within 150 miles.

Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Burning Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Re: Bus Engine Repair / Replacement in DC / MD

Would probably help if you stated what the engine is ie. gas or diesel and what model or size and will it involve a transmission swap
as well. If one is gone is the other close behind. Now is a good time to check gearing and transmission and configure a swap accordingly.
The bus may have had local driving gears and died because of highway speeds over speeding the engine for lengthy periods in which case
you might look into an overdrive transmission in the swap. If it were me I would look for a donor bus on one of the auction sites, say one
with a lot of rust but reasonable miles and good engine and transmission. I am partial to the Cummins engine and the Allison transmission
preferably the M3060 which is a double overdrive with 5th gear at .75 and 6th gear .65 which is ideal with a 5.38 rear gear ratio. The DT
series International engines are another choice that hold up to a lot of miles. They just are not noted for fuel mileage like the Cummins.
Another note, make sure you get one that is Turbo Charged as they maintain the same horsepower up to 10,000 feet altitude while naturally
aspirated engines lose about 3% per 1000 feet in altitude.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote