Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
The Bamper - 1977 Chevy 54 pass

Well. I have purchased a 1977 Chevy 54 passenger school bus and thought I'd start documenting what I've done to get it in a little better shape.

It is in dire need of some body work and a little paint but is a good runner and has been in my extended family for 8 or so years. Definately a function over form type of deal but there's serious potential here. The interior space is 20' x 7.5' overall so lots of space to put whatever I want.

Here are some pictures of "The Bamper" as I purchased it. Open to any and all ideas for an exterior color scheme.

Been sitting for a little while.

Going to need some sugary ...

Supposedly rebuilt 10k ago. Chevy 350 with a 5 speed trans.

Classy cockpit.

That would be one of the strangest cousins in the family. She photobombed a few of these ....

Current floorplan. I don't think I'm going to change much except to put a futon in place of the top two bunks and perhaps another dinette where the heater is. It would be convertible to a twin sized sleeping area.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: The Bamper - 1977 Chevy 54 pass

Stopped off at the local recycling center today intending to pick up some extension cords and I found something else that seemed to be of greater value. I've read the threads about stranded vs solid and for the miles that will be put on this bus, things wiggling loose in the electrical system are the least of my worries.

14/3 solid core and 10ga stranded. Hoping there will be enough 10ga for a run to the roof for the A/C.

No clue how many feet but there's 68lbs in that barrel. Should be enough to wire everything I need.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: The Bamper - 1977 Chevy 34 pass

You may want to rethink removing the LP space heater. Judging from the exterior pics, you are in a cold location. Even in the early spring/late fall there may be times when you would find the heater highly desirable. Nice thing is you do not have to be plugged into a power pole to use the LP.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I like your bus. I would graffiti it, or flat black and maybe flames.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Skoolie

I was leaning towards Bud Light Blue without any logos or anything, just like the color. This image won't look the same on all monitors so head on over to your fridge, or God forbid you're out of beer the local alcohol-mart, and take a gander at a can of Bud Light and imagine that on my rusting hunk of metal. Should look pretty nice ! !

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Cool color choice--- but it got me to wondering...what make is your chassis? If it's a Blue Bird, then the color could be referred to as "Bird" Lite?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Skoolie

Bus is a Thomas.

I'm thinking white accents would look pretty nice. Trim, emblems, wheels etc will be white. Should look pretty good.

Purchased A dozen 12v double camper lights a few days back from classacustoms on eBay and I'm impressed thus far. Fast shipping and TONS of bubble wrap. Gonna order some more things from them in the future unless someone has a better/less expensive place to go.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Skoolie

Well .... 7 months later it is at home in the shop FINALLY ! !

I drove it 7 feet 2 months ago and got it hoplessly mired in the muck so we went up today and dug it out with shovles and pulled it out with the skid loader now that the ground is firm again. I didn't take any pictures because the mosquitoes were having a feast on us but it was in there good.

Drove home 75 miles without a single issue. Sat for 2+ years and ran like a top for the entire way home. Being as this is my first bus experience other than the 12 years I rode one years back, I didn't even think to close the interior heater line valves. I got warmer and warmer in there and I really didn't think much of it until I got out into 85 degree heat with 95% humidity and got a chill when I parked it at home.

As I tear into stuff I'm going to try my darndest to document the work that goes into this project. Lord knows it's going to take some time.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Skoolie

Got it washed today. T'was a VERY dirty girl !! Looks like it hasn't been washed since it was "painted" 12 years ago.

Dirty side. Clean side pic showed up very washed out so I deleted it ..... Did a little body work and it looks like it's going to be a long uphill battle before paint.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Skoolie

Let's see what's behind that rusty mess ....

Shouldn't have done that. Found more problems ....

Solution to the wheel well issues. 5' x 8' 14ga sheet.

Damn door is rusted through as well. Good ol' Salty Minnesota.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Bus Geek

14ga is our friend he helped fix my stairs with his buddy 12ga
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Skoolie

Tore into the door and found some very nice rust.

Nothing too fancy but it looks WAY better. I cut out the bottom of the door, removed the window and plated it on both sides.

Drivers side fender cut out and replaced.

Passenger side cut out and replaced.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Skoolie

Finished up a little more body work and got it all ready for paint today. Had to leave one window so I can drive it to the shed I'll be painting it in. I don't really want to get all my tools and what-not-all full of paint and I am quite sure I am too lazy to cover everything in there.

Looking at this I just realized the radiator needs to be covered too .... huh.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Yes the fun of masking off a bus. Every time I thought I was almost done I found two three other things that had to be covered.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Skoolie

Well Yesterday was a big day. I got it primed and painted. I had about a quart of primer left and ran out of paint. I got everything done except the very middle three feet of the roof the length of the bus painted. You can't notice it unless you're higher than the roof of the bus so it's going to be that way until I get the rest of the stuff done to the outside and then it'll all get touched up.

It looks much better and the color layed down a lot darker than I thought it would but it still looks good.

First coat of primer.

Second coat of primer different angle.

PAINTED Finally ! !

I like the blue but it sure is A LOT of it. I'd like to do an accent but don't really know what yet.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Bus Geek

that shade of blue really pops
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Looks amazing!! I have to admit, I saw the level of work needed with the rust and figured this one may fizzle. Not everyone has the tools, skill, or determination to tackle rust repair that extensive. I am thrilled to see that is not case this time!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
Skoolie

Rust up here in MN is everywhere. You either put up with it or remove it. There is no fixing it as it will come back very shortly. The first fender took a while but the second one only took about an hour from the first cut to the last screw as I knew where not to cut and what to leave for support. I have a full metal and wood shop at the farm so the tools and supplies are there to make just about anything happen.

I purchased the floor today. 11% off at Menards put this stuff within $25 of what I budgeted for the floor so I went for it. The Mrs. thought it was nice so I quickly threw it onto the cart. I grabbed the cheapest underlayment they had .... anyone else put laminate flooring in there bus ?? How's it holding up and did you do anything out of the ordinary while installing it ?? What did you do up front by the steps ??

Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Go to this page and the next one on my thread. You will see what I did for installing a wood (laminate) floor.

I have also posted how after two years that the floor is looking like it is 50 years old because of my dogs. Since you already got the wood flooring, put it in.

If I had to do it over, I would have put in a heavy duty linoleum.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamper
Rust up here in MN is everywhere. You either put up with it or remove it. There is no fixing it as it will come back very shortly. The first fender took a while but the second one only took about an hour from the first cut to the last screw as I knew where not to cut and what to leave for support. I have a full metal and wood shop at the farm so the tools and supplies are there to make just about anything happen.

I purchased the floor today. 11% off at Menards put this stuff within $25 of what I budgeted for the floor so I went for it. The Mrs. thought it was nice so I quickly threw it onto the cart. I grabbed the cheapest underlayment they had .... anyone else put laminate flooring in there bus ?? How's it holding up and did you do anything out of the ordinary while installing it ?? What did you do up front by the steps ??

I know all about rust! I live in mn as well I used laminate from the back all the way to the front. Didn't do anything special in front, just went right up to the firewall. I did use the underlayment. I think I have pics of what I did around the steps in my thread. I would dig it up, but I'm on my phone.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote