Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
"DER BUS"

I guess it is time to start a thread on this project. I am finally making progress and since you folks like pictures, and I have gone as far as ask for you to take pictures so here are what I have thus far.

I did a search on this site for "Der Bus" and nothing came up do I'm taking on that name for this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0249.jpg   IMG_0544.jpg   IMG_0541.jpg  

swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: "DER BUS"

....and more
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0528.jpg   IMG_0432.jpg   IMG_0546.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

There is a 1/2" x 4 1/2" bolt thru the ribs between every other window. For a total of eight bolts per side. The jury is sill out whether or not I will attach the cross members to the two ribs the run the length of the bus.

The ladder will go up across the the back making the rear door unusable(escape type rv windows have been procured). The bottom third or so will be hinged so that it will fold up and away for travelling. I have extended the rear of the bus an additional 36" to support the entire ladder. The base is built off the bus frame and extends(welded) a full 24" under the bus and is cross braced. It is very stout and not terribly heavy...yet. I built the extension twice. I lost too much clearance on the first try.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Skoolie

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
bus.JPG   IMG_0495.jpg  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Skoolie

I believe that bus is parked in Austin somewhere as a full timer. There was a write up about it in The Statesman.

Its funny you say swanky. I got the couches from a supplier who deals to night clubs
The couches actually fold down into beds. The arms fold up too. Got them here. http://www.modernlinefurniture.com/008bs2c.html

The chairs came off of craigslist.

Ive been looking at color samples from valspar and I think two shades of grey is the winner. Haven't decided on the scheme yet
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Skoolie

The wife asked if I was going to install a pole. I just might. It's gotta be brass though. Not just any pole will do

It is a bummer that the couches have to slide out to fold down. I also wanted the two shorter couches to face each other in the very rear of the bus making a rear lounge while folding down to make a master bed. Guess what? Four inches too long with absolutely no way to shoe horn it in. They will go up front and possibly the long couch will go in the back. It is a little smaller in the bed department than the other two put together but oh well. I want a rear lounge for some events.

I am going to make a weak attempt at finding some car seat adjustments that may work to secure the couches down and allow for slide out to make beds. I haven't given it much thought yet. I will prolly build boxes for storage and remove the rear legs while keeping the front legs.

I look on craigslist everyday for driver seats like you scored. I need two just like the ones you got. So far no luck. Im about to hit the salvage yards. i need those soon
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I'm also searching for chairs, and am hoping to find a junk yard with a conversion van with a set of swivel captain chairs and a rear bench that folds to a bed.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Skoolie

Do you need all four swivel chairs? I only need two. Preferably the same color as the couches. Gonna be a hard find. What color are you looking for? Maybe we can work together on finding the items we prefer to use. Let me know. I'm gonna hit the Salvage yards soon and i may come across what you are looking for.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
Do you need all four swivel chairs? I only need two. Preferably the same color as the couches. Gonna be a hard find. What color are you looking for? Maybe we can work together on finding the items we prefer to use. Let me know. I'm gonna hit the Salvage yards soon and i may come across what you are looking for.
Are you local here in Austin, or at least Central TX? I'm actually looking for one swivel captain chair and one matching rear bench seat that folds to a bed. I'm flexible on the color. I'm going to be looking too, so I'll also let you know if I find something.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Skoolie

Re: "DER BUS"(Heretic)

sorry, I guess my profile is incomplete. I'm in Wimberley.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Skoolie

Progress makes me happy....need more metal.

Looking from end to end on the top of the bus really gives you a view of the enormity of this rig.

Fabrication like this really takes a long time, especially, when its just you and the stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0556.jpg   IMG_0557.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Nice rack! What do you plan to use for decking? I really like the way you attached the horizontal runner above the windows to attach the rack. I think I will imitate that when I build mine. So is there any support in the center of the roof, or is it only supported on the sides? I was thinking it would be nice to have it sit on the roof in addition to being supported on the sides, with maybe rubber cushioning in between, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be, or if it would cause problems...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Skoolie

No, there is no support in he middle...yet. If the rack proves to be more flexible than I want I will attach it to those runners that run the length of the bus. I am decking it with a fiberglass honeycomb product normally used in airplanes. Very strong, light weight, and water proof. I am either going to cover that with outdoor carpet or "grizzly grip".

The only problem I see attaching to the roof is I believe you would have to drill all the way thru and bolt it down vs just a sheet metal screw. IMO the flexing would eventually jerk the screws out. I prefer not to drill all the way thru. We'll see.

If you come down Wimberley way...come on by. I might have some stuff you can use.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

I'm not a welder, but I wonder if you could just weld to those roof runners? Or is the metal too thin? What about welding to the metal frame arches that span sideways underneath the roof? Even if you melt the outer sheet metal, you would eventually hit the frame, right? I agree that I would not want to make any holes in the roof unless it was being back-filled with weld.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
Skoolie

Yes...welding directly to the roof is an option. The mig welder lead I have is right at ten feet, which is not long enough to reach and I will burn a hole in the bus sheet metal with a stick welder. It is fairly stiff as it is and it isnt finished. I ll make the decision after laying a sheet or two of fiberglass down.

Square dancers??? Not really my type. Now those friendly ladies who use those poles, I think they call them pole dancers? Lots of those I think would do.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Hey, I just saw a bunch of RV windows went up for sale today on the Austin craigslist RV section. I don't need them, but I noticed you've skinned your whole bus, so maybe you could use them.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Hey, I just saw a bunch of RV windows went up for sale today on the Austin craigslist RV section. I don't need them, but I noticed you've skinned your whole bus, so maybe you could use them.
Figures.....I bought new ones six months ago.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

I see you have a Thomas, so probably have the same rain drip edge over your windows that I do. How did you attach your window skins above the windows? It looks to me like the drip edge will not allow me to access the area above the window from the outside. My only idea so far is to weld from the inside of the bus and have the skin just barely overlap the top edge so I can get some caulk in there from the outside. How did you do it?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
Skoolie

I haven't attached it up there yet. I will prolly use a glue product like Sika or PL Premium with maybe a few holes drilled into the drip edge so that I can install a screw every few feet then fill the hole with bondo. Maybe JB Weld the piss out of it then shim it. I dont have a good plan...lots of maybe's but it will get done in the next two weeks. Ill let you know.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
Skoolie

more progress
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0560[1].jpg   IMG_0561[1].jpg   IMG_0563[1].jpg