Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55
Re: First Timer, 92 Wayne 7.3

Wow, the undercarriage on that bus looks excellent! Hardly any rust at all. I'm jealous. Just FYI: Wayne went out of business in 1995. Good luck with it!

grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

They changed owners several times, but Wayne bus bodies were built until 1995.

AmTran didn't buy International, it was the other way around. International bought controlling interest in Ward in the '80s, then in the '90s bought them out and changed the name to AmTran. Around 2000 they reorganized the company and started building under the name "IC" with an custom-designed chassis exclusive to the IC body. In the '90s, AmTran built bodies on almost any available chassis, and International sold their chassis to anyone who wanted to build a body on it.

Wikipedia has a lot of good info but I've found their pages about the bus manufacturers are very lacking.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
They changed owners several times, but Wayne bus bodies were built until 1995.

AmTran didn't buy International, it was the other way around. International bought controlling interest in Ward in the '80s, then in the '90s bought them out and changed the name to AmTran. Around 2000 they reorganized the company and started building under the name "IC" with an custom-designed chassis exclusive to the IC body. In the '90s, AmTran built bodies on almost any available chassis, and International sold their chassis to anyone who wanted to build a body on it.

Wikipedia has a lot of good info but I've found their pages about the bus manufacturers are very lacking.
Yep, Wayne was bought by Harsco in early 93 (a military vehicle manufacturer). They renamed it "Wayne Wheeled Vehicles" and moved operations from Richmond, Ind to Marysville, Ohio. Two things killed Wayne WV after that:
1.) Harsco really didnt know how to bid and spec school buses. They lost there asses on a bid to Kentucky over spec errors.

2.) Chassis/Body aligners did not have Wayne in there sites. Though GM approached Wayne (along with Thomas and of course Blue Bird, the latter of which they chose to exclusively offer there conventional chassis to) in 1992, Wayne was running out of chassis suppliers. International was in bed with Amtran as previously stated and Fords were becoming rare. Beyond that, the Type D Wayne's International and GM chassis were discontinued by 1990 and 1992 and that only left Crane Carrier and Spartan for Wayne to build on. Two not very popular chassis with dealers and parts networking.

All in all, Waynes are very tough built buses and were once the most popular along side Superior. Nice to see another Wayne bus member!!!!!! Good Luck
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Hey! Our buses are almost identical! Except mine has a dt466 with a mt643, and it's a 91. I am also at about the same stage as you. If you haven't already done the undercarriage, I would consider crawiling under there and seeing what they coated it with from the factory. Mine has a very hard undercoating sprayed on the entire undercarriage. It doesn't seem like rubber, because it is very hard. Because of this, mine looks just like yours...spotless!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I'd definitely recommend painting the undercarriage at this point. It is in such great condition it will require very little prep work. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of my mini bus's undercarriage so you can see what happens if you ignore it and let it go. It's pretty scary under there and, even though the bus is still running and driving fine, it's got cancer so bad I'm thinking it might be time for the scrap yard. My big bus is not as bad yet, and I plan on getting the undercarriage sandblasted and undercoated this year. Actually that is the next project slated for that bus.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

I knew an old New England yankee who used to spray used motor oil all over the bottom of his 1965 VW Beetle. That thing did not have a speck of rust on it even after 30 CT winters. With all the salt they put on the roads most cars are rotting after 10 years.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthmb55
I'd definitely recommend painting the undercarriage at this point. It is in such great condition it will require very little prep work. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of my mini bus's undercarriage so you can see what happens if you ignore it and let it go. It's pretty scary under there and, even though the bus is still running and driving fine, it's got cancer so bad I'm thinking it might be time for the scrap yard. My big bus is not as bad yet, and I plan on getting the undercarriage sandblasted and undercoated this year. Actually that is the next project slated for that bus.

What will you do for the dozens of seams, laps, and joints you can't reach with a blaster, or apply paint to? If you can't do all, why do any?

Smitty
I might agree with your theory if the bus was already very rusty. Given the photographs I have seen, there is very little rust on anything right now, and what rust I do see appears to be just surface rust... not rot. Remove whatever rust you can, and then spray with a rubberized undercoating. This will seal off all these seams, laps, and joints that you speak of and protect those areas from exposure to moisture and road salt. Even if there is a little rust you may be trapping in those seams/joints/and laps, if you protect it from further exposure to moisture and road salt, you are doing yourself a tremendous favor.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Seeing that pic of the ceiling makes me so glad mine was insulated!!! I bet that was tough to take down. FWIW, mine isn't screwed down the center on the outside either. Personally, I'm not going to worry about it. I just drove my bus from San Diego to MN and didn't notice any rattles in the ceiling. Good job on the floor! In 20 years I bet there still won't be any rust

Brutus
Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos
For what it is worth...several years ago, I took a family members car and tried an experiment. One side of it, I sprayed with drain oil three times...
I'm also planning on spraying drain oil as a rust inhibitor. What sort of sprayer did you use?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 04-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Windows and side skin looks really good
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Is Roxul(tm) available where you are? It is a great fireproof, sound insulating, insulation made from molten rock. I like to think of it as the 'cotton candy' version of rock. We use it here around furnace installations in houses as well as firewalls and other walls that we want to be more soundresistant. (In my opionion, no such thing as soundproof without spending a fortune and having walls a yard thick with combinations of sound absorbtion, barriers, resilient channels, etc. but that's another topic.)
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Wow. I'm impressed with your dedication to insulation! It looks like you are building a big blue cocoon in there!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Hey Benjoy, I'm probably too late, but a while ago I was going to get some wire numbers to you. My memory sucks... Anyway, basically, blue wires are all for the flasher system, green wires are for the safety stuff, white wires are sending the signals back to the little flasher thing on your console that tells you what lights are on, and the yellow wires are for blinker, lights, etc... I removed all blue, white, and green wires. There are 2 white wires coming through the firewall that are for the starter interlock. They are numbered 57 and need to be spliced together. There are 2 green wires coming from a distribution block right by your left foot by the labeled 11 and 84. They may be unneccesary because the white wires (labeled 57) are splice together, but I left them. You want to keep the large plastic plug connector thing with mostly yellow wires coming into and going out of it. Yellow wires: 8 = Left Blinker, 10 = Right Blinker, 5 = Running Lights, 22 = Brakes, 3 = Reverse Lights and beeper. Let me know if you need any specific pics or anything.

Brutus
Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjoy
Thanx for the info on the wire. I am trying to get my hands on a servive manual? Any Ideas? I've looked online for a while to no avail.
Servive or survive? Inquiring minds want to know......
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Not sure if my solution will work in your situation, but I also have 3 kids and a 3/4 size bus, so I really need to conserve space. We are using the bus for travel and camping though, not full-timing. So here is my idea: I'm going to have bunk beds where the top bunks either fold or slide up and out of the way so the lower bunk can be used as a couch without the top bunk restricting headroom while sitting. There were several interesting ideas from various people about the mechanics of how this could be accomplished. I'm not sure if that is in my conversion thread, or just a topic in the discussion area. I think it might be the latter - search for "bunk bed dilemma".
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Almost There

Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

Quote:
Hi, this is Bens wife Joy...I too do much reading and research on here and was just wondering if anyone has some ideas or can remember a conversion that involved kids..we have been getting stuck on layout issues lately. We have 3 girls 12,10 6 and will be full timers. Any ideas on beds,making the most of space..really any tips would be great on traveling with a family , I think we should attach something to make a upstairs sleeping area for them but dont know if we can pull it off Thanks for all the help,it is truly appreciated , hope your having a great day
We have 5 kids, not full-timers. But maybe my layout will be of value to you. We have taken 9 kids on a week-long trip to South Carolina--1,500miles round trip. The smaller kids slept on the dinette seats. This is a 9-row bus. An 11 or 13 will have more room, and with 2 less kids, that frees up even more for storage. My Website has some pictures and other info on what I have done. I may rip it all out next year if I get new ideas, which I did last year when my first conversion wasn't being what I had hoped it would be. But I think we're happy.

Attached Thumbnails
bus arrangement.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Would take up minimal space. If you don't mind cost do a search for cape cod stoves.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
If you don't mind cost do a search for cape cod stoves.
Sure would be nice to have one of those, but they cost more than the bus.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
opinions wanted .....hmmm

I have one of those I'm gonna use in the backyard shelter for my man fort...

The one I using for the bus I got off e-bay for $99 shipped...

Here's the page in my build that has a pic of it...

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...=6366&start=60
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Here's the link for the guy I bought mine off of on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Militar...item483d6cacd4

It was missing a part and they shipped it out really fast... I'd buy from them again... It's not the highest quality but for the price I'm happy with it...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote