Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Project "Brutus"

Well, I've had my bus for a while, but was on a missions trip to Mexico for a few months. I actually bought it on my way to Mexico, when my truck took a crap in Idaho, but that's another story. Anyway, here are pics of when I first bought it. I just finished removing the rubber tonight, except for the drivers area, and will be doing that area tomorrow and then removing plywood. The undercarriage looks immaculate, and the plywood is in great shape. There actually isn't any signs of rust anywhere on this bus, not even around the wheel wells. It is a Wayne 71 passenger with 144,000 miles on it For power it has a DT466 and an Allison MT643. I got it for $1500 and am absolutely thrilled with it so far! My family and I are in missions and not quite sure where we are going to settle, yet, so a home on wheels is perfect. Anyway, here are some pics of when I first bought it.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Jake's first skoolie...

Figured I would also post a pic of my first visible mod to the bus. I was tempted not to post this because it is redneck to the core, but I figured some of you might understand, haha... It's actually not loud in the cab, unless the winow's open, but I may still install some sort of resonator/silencer in the future. For now it is straight piped and seems fine. I have also turned up the fuel pump, adjusted the governor, and advanced the timing. Does pretty well for a bus!! I would LOVE to find a 4.10 rear for it, though, to drop the rpms a bit. It'll do 70 pretty easy now, but it's turning around 2700 to do it...bye bye fuel...

Brutus
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks!!

SInce it is being converted to an RV, I would assume the pipe is ok, since I see numerous exhaust configurations on RV's and they don't all exit behind the passenger compartment. I did get pulled over in South Dakota for still having it yellow, and he didn't say anything about the pipe. That is a good question though, if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated!

Brutus
Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Well, here is what I got done last night. As you can see, it is in pretty good shape. The plywood is a little darker in the back, but it still seems rock solid. I've poked all over and can't find any soft spots. I'm still planning on pulling it up so I can paint it. After I paint, I'll put down rosin paper, a layer of 1/2" pink styrofoam, and then if the plywood comes up nice enough, I'm going to try to reuse it over the styrofoam. Laminate will then be going over that, with a sound deadening underlayment. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Brutus
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Bus Nut

bare minimum, you need to get a heat shield over that exhaust pipe, If tou get burned on it shame on you, if someone else gets burned say goodbuy to everything you'll ever own
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Yup, heat shield is in the works!

Brutus
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

I love it!! Another Wayne and its a high roof! Looks to be in great condition too. Keep the pics comin.
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Thanks Smitty, I just finished pulling up the plywood tonight. The hard part is that they all came up complete and are solid. There is a little splintering here and there, but not bad at all. The only problem is that there was a little dry rot around the edges in some spots. The rear edge of the rear piece was a little soft, so that one will for sure get replaced. They weren't wet, other than condensation on the bottom surface, they were just a little brittle around the edges. There was no glue and only about 10 nails per piece. Gah...decisions...I don't want to take shortcuts just because I am cheap, but this one seems valid.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to tear up the drivers compartment and see what it looks like under there. Then, Saturday will be wire wheel and paint day (hopefully)! I'll post pics of the bare floor tomorrow. There was a little more rust than I thought there would be, but at least it was all just surface rust. I can't wait to get it cleaned and painted!

Brutus
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Wow. That is a great combo you don't see too often on a Wayne dognose. DT466 MT643 Tranny, high roof (didn't know Wayne even offered a high roof), belly storage and bud wheels!!

NICE!!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Thanks Busbozo and jaredg! Yes, I feel very blessed with the way it is outfitted, and I didn't even get to do any research before I got it!! Anyway, here are some quick pics I took of the floor. I would have loved to have cleaned it out and swept it, but I was running late and didn't have time. The floor looks worse than it really is in the drivers area because it is wet...I dumped some antifreeze when I disconnected the lines. I am redoing all the wiring, it looks nasty right now, but I have all flasher and door interlock wiring removed and blinkers and running lights all working again. I just wanted to start fresh with the electrical. I hate having excess wiring for things I don't need, makes troubleshooting ten times worse if there is a problem. Now I am just determining what my electrical needs will be on the bus. I guarantee I will have a full electrical schematic drawn up in microsoft visio before too long, haha...

Anyway, I have the paint I need for the floor and will be soon wire wheeling the floor, treating the rusty areas, and then painting. It'll have to wait though, as I am at my in laws for a week right now.

Brutus
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
Bus Nut

So, while I am at my inlaws for the week, figured I might as well be doing some research. So, I have been researching an in floor heating system that will also heat my potable water involving a Webasto diesel coolant heater, my engine when underway, and a tankless heater to suplement(if needed). Lots of fun researching so far, and I think it'll work pretty slick. Also having fun playing with google sketchup coming up with floor plans. Anyway, if anyone who has an infloor has any specific advice for me, feel free to share. Thanks!!

Brutus
Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

WOW. What was really wrong with the wiring that you had to basically start from scratch? Thats a CRAPLOAD of work!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Nothing was wrong with it, I just know that from a troubleshooting standpoint things are MUCH easier if there isn't a crapload of uneccesary stuff. I'm always trying to figure out how things work, in case something fails, and there was a MASS of wiring there that was all for the flashers and misc. safety stuff. I will be building my own custom console, and removing all the junk will make it much easier.

Brutus
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Yep, one of the first things I did on my bus was start tracing wiring, and labeling everything. Anything not required has been removed.

So far, approximately 50% of the wiring in the overhead control panel was removable.

I'm also planning to rebuild my control console, and I plan to put mine to the left, under the window, instead of over the driver's head. I also have to make room for the all important Cup Holder.

Keep up the good work Jake. It looks like you're making a lot of progress.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thanks guys! Yes Smitty, the heater box will go back in, and then I'll build the new console on top of it. It does look nice with all that space up there! I hope I can make the new console a little more efficient...I don't like wasted space. This has been fun so far, I just hope I can keep my momentum going. I can't wait to get back at it next week! This is what I've been working on this week. Trying to get Google Sketchup figured out

Brutus
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel

cool bus, cool designing program use...can't get away from pencil and paper myself....thank goodness for erasers
moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

MoliskaIH, thanks! The pencil and paper come out first, and then it's on to the design software. I enjoy being able to move things around quickly and easily, and the computer works best for me there. I also can visualize things better with the 3D. I can even look at it from what would be eye level and "walk around"! I looked at your project. Looks like you also enjoy jumping right in and tackling a project, very impressive!! I have a newer tent trailer without a title that I am stripping a lot of stuff out of to use in the bus, similar to what you are doing.

Anyway, the electrical is all put back together with everything working as it should. No more buzzers, interlocks, flasher wiring mess, etc... Just what's needed for my lights, nice and clean! The remaining wires hanging are for my heated mirrors, front heater fans, and my wipers. It took me about 5 hrs. to tear it all apart, clean it up, and then put it back together. I have ground all the rust off the floor, treated the areas where I ground with Rustoleum Rust Reformer, and primed it. I used Rustoleum's "Rusty Metal Primer". The rust wasn't that bad, but I would much rather go with overkill in this area. I will be painting it tomorrow.

I think the biggest obstacle in front of me right now is the in floor heat. I am NOT looking forward to routing all the pex!! Seriously wondering if it is worth it...haven't really made up my mind yet. I KNOW that once it is done, I will love it. No fans, nice even heat, warm floors, and diesel as the only needed fuel...perfect! Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it.

Here are the pics of what I have done so far.

Brutus
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel

man-o-man... looking good!
moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Here are some pics of where I am at so far. I have my insulation (3/4") installed and my plywood subfloor. I did use rosin paper under the foam. I tried to keep the plywood as "floating" as possible. I know it needs to be secure, but I don't want more holes in the floor than I need. My solution was to put down 3.5"x3.5" pine squares in the center of every seam, and where ever else I deemed necessary. I did not put any along the sides. Instead, I will have 2x2's running along the perimeter holding the plywood down tight around the edges. Doing it this way, it is secure, allows for expansion/contraction, minimized the number of holes in the floor, and will be fairly simple to remove if I ever need to. I did use liquid nails as well as screws on the blocks. I did have to go through it and put a few extra screws in to make sure my seams were flush. I am very happy with it so far...! One reason I can get away with doing it this way is that I am installing a floating laminate floor from front to back with a nice pad/underlayment that takes up fairly large imperfections. Anyway, here are the pics. More should be posted tomorrow as I hope to get the flooring installed. I'll get a pic of the front, too. I was able to get it all in one piece, not sections.

Brutus
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Thanks Smitty! I left an 1/8" gap between my sheets and between my sheets and the wall. I then filled the gaps with liquid nails. I figured that should eliminate any squeaks. I actually got the laminate flooring in today. It looks beautiful! Now I just have to get the knotty pine on the walls (at least up to the windows), and then I'll be ready to start installing stuff!! I am leaving the area under the chair rail for running wiring a stuff, and then that will be covered with paneling once I'm done.

Brutus