Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Leaf Springs

Does anyone here grease/oil or lube your leaf springs? I assume there has to be friction in there. My bus makes a horrible metallic friction sound while driving - especially while off-roading to get to my campsite. I know I have a mirror mount that comes loose often, but I believe this sound is coming from the suspension. Any clues? I've checked already - the leaf springs are not broken. Thanks.

-Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Leaf Springs

You can, but I wouldn't. You are going to end up with a mess of oily, greasy dirt. The exception would be the shackles which often times have a gun drilled bolt designed to be greased. The noise you are hearing is very likely rust. The springs usually (though not always on stuff this heavy) have little shim plates between each leaf which prevents them from rusting together, but gives the rust a place to live as well. Driving it might help.

You should hear the sounds my rock crawler makes as the leaf springs go into negative arch. It's just the nature of the beast I think.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Sounds good, guys. WD40 is a wonderful thing. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

WD40 was actually designed as a water displacer, not a lubricant (Water Displacing formula #40). The lubricants are relatively volatile, and are gone quickly. And before they evaporate, the components are one of the best dirt attractants out there. Use WD40 and it'll just make things worse. The only exception is to liberally WD40 the springs. Immediately go for a drive; if the sound is gone you're on the right track. I just bought an add a leaf for my pick-up, and the directions say to use a marine grade or other heavy grease on the anti-friction pads.

My experience is if you thoroughly grease the leaves, yes the grease holds dirt/ crud but on the OUTSIDE; the dirty crud may actually act as a seal keeping dirt and moisture out. For this to work, one would need to dis-assemble the spring pack and lube the interior parts. If you're in a wet environment, slathering grease on the outer portion may seal moisture on the INSIDE, and make matters worse. Take a close look at all the other components......could be steering, brake etc related.