Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 5.9 liter turbo Cummins
Rated Cap: 28
RE: URGENT! NEED TO LOCATE VIN NUMBER ON FORD B700

Dear Friends:

I am in a big predicament. Here in central old Mexico, I am required to show the VIN number from THREE places on the bus in order to register it. It is a 1993 Thomas body for 28 passengers, 5.9L Cummins, 5-speed manual. The VIN number IS inside the engine compartment on the firewall, and ALSO on the Thomas decal above the driver's side window. But the local tax office insists that the VIN number is also on the frame rails somewhere. Untill I find it, I cannot register the bus. Yesterday at the tax office, the flunkie spent over 2 hours under the bus trying to find the VIN number on the rails.

The more I know beurocrats, the more I love my dog...

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, Very frustrated in old Mexico

XE1UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: RE: URGENT! NEED TO LOCATE VIN NUMBER ON FORD B700

On converntional cars and some pick-ups that's true. However, the governmental moron WILL NEVER find it on the frame rail because it is NOT there! The factory never put it on there to begin with.

I'll put it in Spanish for the idiot (feel free to edit or word check my spelling in Spanish - I'm better in English):

Aqui, en Los Estados Unidos no hay un numero de vehiculos en un chassis del autobus porque la factoria no hace nunca asi en construccion. Eso es la verdad. Soy un vendador de vehiculos usados o surplus del governmento en Texas. La ley aqui no dice los numeros en un autobus necisita estar en un chassis nunca. Si discubero los numeros alla, es un error.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Hello-
I've got a '78 and a '74 Thomas, both Ford chassis, and both have the VIN stamped on the passenger side frame rail in the engine compartment, centered about midway between firewall and radiator. It was a state trooper that turned me on to that, because the '74 I purchased w/o a title, and had to have a VIN inspection in order to get one. You might have to scrub or brush to find it (we did), but if it's there, I'm guessing that's where it is. Yours is newer than mine,so it might be different. Also, both of mine don't have the actual vehicle VIN on the Thomas plate inside the bus- it's a different VIN issued by Thomas for their body- I don't know why that is. The ones on the Ford plates on the firewall and the ones on the frame rail are the actual VIN's on my buses.

If you need a picture I can get one, but that should do it I hope. Good luck.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

He sure does!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I have located a number with a bunch of letters mixed in on top of the frame under the firewall. It has no resemblance to the VIN number. Still looking.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

BUS-TED:

Are your serial numbers stamped on the TOP of the rail, the inside, outside??
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Skoolie

If I'm standing looking down at the frame rail from the passenger side, I can read the number, that is on the TOP of the rail, legibly from left to right.
My offer of a picture is no longer a go, due to heavy rain on the 4th- dag nabbit. (Smitty's idea is always an option... )

Good Luck
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Bus-Ted: How far back from the front of the passenger-side frame is that VIN number located? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Skoolie

Trying to exhaust all the legal options before getting the stamps, eh? Probably a good idea.
Well, it's poring down rain right now, or I'd get you exact measurements of distance. I did get a pic, though, and from it you should have a better idea of where to look. If memory serves correct, it's between a foot to a foot and a half from the firewall.

Not the best picture, I know, but in it you can see my VIN, hazy as it may be. This pic was taken from the pass. side wheel.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Mr. Bus-Ted:

You are the best! Thanks a million, and may your mother-in-law not be around too long!

Today I will get me some degreeser and a good brush and a Brillo pad and get after it.

Hope you didn't catch a cold from going out there in the rain!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

RE: URGENT! NEED TO LOCATE VIN NUMBER ON FORD B700

Dear Friends:

You will not believe what happened! As I informed before, the tax office was insisting that we had to find a VIN number ON the frame rails. We searched without success on both rails and found nothing. On different visits to the DMV, their own personnel searched for it on the rails for hours, and found nothing.

Most honorable MR M1031 was certainly right on this one!

On our trip to the state capital to the Federal customs office with the bus, it rained very hard. Rain came in under the windshield into the cockpit. Because of this, when we got back, we removed the defroster steel trims from under both windshields to locate the leak.

There we found a metal plate stamped with the VIN number, and a few other numbers. Now, get this: The metal plate was just laying there, not fastened to anything.

So my body shop guy drilled two holes in the plate and frame, and riveted it next to the driver’s side windshield post. He also applied some special black glue under the plate before riveting.

We went down today, and voila! We finally got our plates, after only 3.5 hours wait! 99 days, 6 trips to the local DMV office, 2 trips to State Police headquarters in the state capital, 2 trips to the DMV in the state where the bus was previously registered, and one trip to the customs office in the state capital…

Anybody else with a Thomas body have a VIN number plate inside the defroster vents?

Thanks to all who offered their tips!!! Be blessed!
Attached Thumbnails
VIN Number.JPG   Plates.JPG   Dash.JPG  
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Skoolie

Glad you finally worked it out. Sorry my info. wasn't of any help. I see that they did things a great deal differently on the older buses.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, Mr. Bus-Ted: You tried very hard to help, and I am very thankfull for your efforts!