I've spent the last week sanding out the fiberglass body in preparation for buffing and polishing. That is WAY too much like work!
Where the tape stripes were is nice, shiny fiberglass while the rest is oxidized and dull. I started out wet sanding with 600 grit wet/dry paper but that wasn't aggressive enough to blend the two areas so I got some 400 grit paper which did a pretty fair job even if I did have to go over it several times. Surprisingly, the 400 grit left the fiberglass with a low gloss which was way better than what it was before. I followed the 400 grit with a quick pass with 600 grit then another pass with 1000 grit (all wet sanded). I can still barely see where the stripes and lettering was and I'm hoping the rubbing compound will erase all traces of them. Stay tuned.
The roof, in particular, was a rough, dark, nasty grey which soap and a sponge wouldn't budge. The sandpaper took the grunge off quickly and left a smooth surface. I have one more side to sand out then I'll use some rubbing compound and a low-speed buffer to bring back the gloss. After THAT cones a pass with polishing compound then a good coat of wax.
I also sanded, primed and painted my rusty wheelchair door frame, patched a big chip at the back corner of the body and built an accumulator for the water system. The idea is to trap some air in the system which will be compressed when the water pump runs. The next time water is needed the trapped air will force water out giving the water pump a rest. I just used some 4" PVC pipe with a tee at the bottom. It'll be a while before I can test it out.
Here's the body patch. I used Bondoglass to patch the chip then sanded it smooth with 80 grit sandpaper. after I took this shot I put on a coat of white gellcoat and tomorrow I'll sand out the gellcoat. Hopefully I won't have to put on another layer of gellcoat.
This is the cobbled up accumulator