Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to spoore
Party Bus?

Hello everyone, I am interested in starting a party bus business and it would be great if someone could give me any advice or comments about the idea. Thanks.

Scot

spoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
to start with...

...read all the forums.

not to sound rude at all but there is a wealth of information there.

Then maybe you can narrow down your questions.

Because we all party in our buses.
abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to spoore
thanks, but I am interesting in running an Official Business with a party bus. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about anything related business wise. Thanks.

Scot
spoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Skoolie

Ok Spoore, where ya from?

Do you know how to use the "search" function?

There are a couple of members doing this exact thing, really easy to find them doin a "search" . Just like abdabbs suggested.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Seems to me that someone fairly recently had a party bus too, view the threads or do a search and you'll likely find some information. Most of us are building motor homes out of these things, but there are a couple of party bus threads up here. I can't personally answer to any party bus particulars, but if you got some question more in the general conversion process you'll find we all have answers of one kind or another....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

my party bus

hey
im building a party bus right now but there is some things you need to understand before building one. Im not sure where you are from but in my province, Ontario, we can not have open alcohol in a moving vehicle whatsoever so if you want to have a party it either has to be dry or the bus needs to be out of commission where you are having the part. you can do this in a few ways: you can drive the bus to a location but take away the keys and leave or you could take the wheels off the bus or something.

I once heard of a transport in B.C. that drove up and down a long street in downtown Vancouver. It would stop at various places, much like a city bus and it would let people on for $50CDN each. You could buy drinks and there was a dance on it. I am not totally sure if this is true because of the open alcohol and the fact that no one has seat belts but it kinda makes sense because the driver is completely isolated from the alcohol and people affected by it. Before you start your business you may consider checking your state/province laws.

I didn't make my bus a conversion because i don't want to insure a motorhome. because my bus is an f-350 chasis, i had it appraised as an antique and i have antique insurance on it. There are certain restrictions on antique insurance but insurance is about $11CDN/year on every $1000CDN value it is appraised at with a minimum of $75CDN a year. After you check with your laws check your insurance.

Finally I only intend to use my bus with parties with friends and dry parties. It may be used if i am towing my car to a show or just cruzin' down town. I wasn't intended for business use so there may be a different set of licencing laws and business laws for that, depending on what state or province you are in.

-Dan
d_codebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Party Bus?

If your still looking for info, try Furrbuss in Atlanta. I know they started off small and grew pretty good. I do know they were selling their first bus about a month ago. Try a google search.
smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Almost There

I know in the US you need the bus inspected, need a CDL, and will have expensive insurance and possibly registration. Not sure about Canada, though. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

For building a part bus, I would suggest doing a search for the phrases "Black Plague" and "jacuzzi bus." Lapeer has done excellent work on jacuzzi buses (four of them) and one at least has turned into a limo bus (jacuzzi bus IV). I would also do a search for "tailgating" as some of the tailgating buses have turned out quite well. Most of the buses here turn into RVs, but I've seen some good work.

Good luck!
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360

Hey, I've had similar questions and have had a hard time finding out about the law in my state. Does anyone know the legality of drinking in a moving bus in Oregon? How about California?

Is there any sort of roundup page of all the different laws in different states that relate to this?
icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott
Re: Inspection

Hey all,

I was reading here and Fireguy9993 said something that caught my attention. If your vehicle is a motor home OR if you live in a NON vehicle inspection state, do they still have to be inspected thru a shop? Florida, where I will be registered out of is a NON Vehicle Inspection state but am not sure about the skoolies if converted.

Scott
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Almost There

I think that is state specific. When I converted one in Ohio, I signed a form saying that I did certain things to make it an RV. No inspection ever. I've heard some states want to see it first...but I have no idea which ones those are.

I know buses and limos have to be inspected yearly. They have to have a big sticker on the side stating when the inspection was done.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I'm not sure about other states, but here in Oregon, you need to bring the bus into the DMV when you first make the RV conversion. They verify that there is a permanent bed and stove and that you have insurance, but no shop inspection. Because of the size, the vehicle is exempt from having to go through DEQ, as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

he's talking about the bus as a business, not as an RV it would remain a commercial vehicle subject to federal dot rules and inspections not state
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

ah. nevermind then.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Ah. Awesome. That's what I was hoping for. I'm in NE Portland and mostly use my bus for group road trips / burning man.