Conversion Encyclopedia - Floor Plans

Tutorials and guides on how to do just about anything a converter might want to do.

Conversion Encyclopedia - Floor Plans

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:52 pm

Post your floor plans!

Here is the floor plan of my bus as seen in Ben Rosander's book Bus Conversion Floor Plans.

Note the left door of the wardrobe also functions as a door to seperate the living and sleeping areas.
Steve
Skoolie Admin
Skoolie Admin

My Bus: LoneBus
Year: 1972
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International Loadstar 1601
Engine: 345 ci IHC
Rated Cap.: 54

Postby Vern1 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:36 am

Greetings,

Here is my initial floor plan.

It hasn't changed much except to add or take away a small amount here and there as I go along with construction.

I also have multiple level plans that show plumbing, electronic, LP gas, tanks, etc.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Vern1 on Fri May 21, 2004 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Vern1
1976 International Wayne - ON THE ROAD!!
http://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1
Skoolie
Skoolie

Postby Les Lampman » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:53 am

Well, here's our bus layout:

It was interesting fitting in the work area (just ahead of the rear bed and split bath) and the piano in the forward living area.

There a full-sized version of this here.
Les Lampman
1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner Pusher "Illusion"

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman
Crew Member
Crew Member

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3208 Turbo 250hp
Rated Cap.: 78

Postby dammitAndy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:52 pm

this is my idea anyway

there is 2 bunks on each side in the back, all 4 on custom built pin hinges for easy removal or folding. And there is a removable center leaf to make the bottom bunks into a king size bed. The idea for this was to pull my motorcycle into the back and tie it down for a trip.

iive decided not to do plumming on this rig so the "privacy closet" is still optional. I may leave it out in place of counter survace to make the area feel more open. It could be a closet for clothes or other storage, or I may put a camping porta-potty in there for #2.

What I'm really excited about is the 20" LCD Screen in the front. Hopefully it all works out.
'89 Ford 370-2V Wayne - Sold :(
http://www.dammitandy.com/bus

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy
Skoolie
Skoolie

My Bus: EXPLOSIVO!
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap.: 44

Postby eggman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:12 am

Andy's floor plan:

Jeff
95 IH 72 passenger transit school bus w/ DT466 and 545 Allison.
79 IH Scout II/392 (0.030 over) Hamilton Injected/727/D300/Full size axles/36" Swampers/Lockers/OBA/38 gal Custom fuel tank, roll bar, tube doors.
eggman
Skoolie
Skoolie

MCP II - '82 Thomas Transit Liner

Postby w1bmw » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:44 pm

Zim (W1BMW) - Somewhere East of Tampa
'82 Thomas TransitLiner - The Mobile Command Post II
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/MCP-II
w1bmw

My Bus: MCP II
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Rated Cap.: 0

Postby GoneCamping » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:53 pm

My floor plan pic may not be as nice as osme of them here, but it is pretty much to scale....

Note: I don't have a dinette, and the image above dosent show it, but I'll have a breakfast bar type of thing with two stools on the end counter...stools will sit in the open area in front of the emergency exit door...
Last edited by GoneCamping on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Cliff*

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping
Bus Nut
Bus Nut

Software?

Postby pervy2u » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:26 am

What software is available for skoolie floorplans?
Are there any FREE programs? :wink:

I have an older version of 3D Homemaker for doing house plans but it is virtually impossible to do a bus with.

Thanks

Larry
If the spirit lives forever I am as dead now as I will ever be
pervy2u
Mini-Member
Mini-Member

Re: Software?

Postby Les Lampman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:23 pm

pervy2u wrote:What software is available for skoolie floorplans?
Are there any FREE programs? :wink:

I have an older version of 3D Homemaker for doing house plans but it is virtually impossible to do a bus with.

Thanks

Larry

Hmmm...good question. I just do mine in an inexpensive CAD program (it's called DeltaCad) but I imagine most any drawing program would work fine. Some problably have better furniture, appliances and such already in the program but mine has none and works just fine for planning purposes. The reason I really use it is for planning and "what if" exercises since it so quickly lets me change things around without having to hand draw every thing.

Here's a thing I learned on my first bus where we left all the standard bus windows in place (and not covered over). After a while I just forgot about measuring anything fore and aft in specific inches for the most part; I just used the "window method". Ok, the bed gets two widows (if it's sideways; three if it's lengthwise), the couch gets three windows, the toilet gets one, the shower gets one, the kitchen counter gets three, and so forth and so on. I laughed at first when I heard about it but it works! :D Of course, if you sheet over the windows and line the interior of the bus then you can really use the tape measure.
Les Lampman

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman
Crew Member
Crew Member

Postby pervy2u » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks Les - that tip sort of falls right in with what I was thinking. Reguardless of measurements make it comfy! I don't really want or need a booth for eating so thats footage to use elsewhere like in the bathroom and entertainment center. I suppose I could go ahead and use the 3d home for layout ideas and not worry about actual measurements until I'm ready to fire up a saw. Works for me!!

Thanks

Larry
If the spirit lives forever I am as dead now as I will ever be
pervy2u
Mini-Member
Mini-Member

Postby Les Lampman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 am

Speaking of floor plans; here's the most recent revision to ours for our new Thomas Safe-T-Liner.

It's a little hard to read but I didn't want to make it too large; here's the link for the bigger version.

Some explanation:

This is a flat-nose transit style bus (36' overall) and has wheel wells forward and aft to contend with; they dictate a lot about how the interior can be arranged. In the Thomas they're about 24" wide, about 48" long and 9" high at the top of the curve.

This is also a rear-engined bus so the area behind the bed is part of the engine compartment. The rear seat is also part of the engine compartment but since it's at a standard seating height it's used to support the rear of the bed.

Our primary design goal was for a comfortable bus for two folks for extended trips and full-timing. Our version of a Wanderlodge if you will. My wife also is an artist (painter) and plays the piano (very well and I love to listen) so that had a large impact on the design.

When coming aboard there is a swivel seat immediately to the left which is the co-pilot seat underway (there's a cover over the stairwell) and a comfortable lounge seat when stopped. It sits just ahead of a 9" high "floor" over the front right wheel well; on top of this is the cabinet that holds the main TV, a small bookcase and a wine rack. At the aft end is also where the Dickinson propane marine fireplace resides (it's a direct vent unit that's there for ambiance and a back up source of heat).

Aft of the driver's seat is an 80" couch (over the left front wheel well) that pulls out into a double bed. In front of it (toward the centerline of the bus) is a pedestal table. The Roland RD-700X Digital Piano is mounted on a base plate installed at the top of the pedestals over which a "box" fits which then becomes the table top. The top is lifted out of the way when one wants to play the piano. The top, the piano on its base and the pedestals are all removed to form the bed.

Aft of the living room area is the kitchen/work space. On the curb side of the bus it's easy to see the sink, range (with micro hood over), and refrigerator. On the driver's side just aft of the couch is a counter which holds our espresso machine and coffee grinder (hey! we're northwesterners!), aft of that is a 48" long desk/work table, and aft of that a 24" wide storage cabinet. The main electrical panels, tanks monitors, genset controls, and such are mounted in the top part of this cabinet.

Next aft is the bathroom area; the door to the toilet room swings around to close off the bathroom and bedroom from the forward part of the bus which really makes the bath and bedroom one large dressing area.

Since this will be a full-timer I worked a small but reasonably sized bathtub in; we won't use it often but on occassion it will be a treat to soak in the tub.

The toilet lives in its own private room (mostly to keep the passageway of the bus open even when it's in use). It sits in front of the existing emergency door which is still usable should the need arise.

The two closets in the aft part of the bathroom are placed over the two rear wheel wells. An LCD HDTV is mounted on the rear side of the curbside closet for watching from bed.

One of the things that I most wanted to incorporate into our rolling home was a large bed. We're used to sleeping on a king-sized bed (along with our two Blue Heelers (Australian Cattle Dogs) and I wanted that same level of comfort in the bus since we intend to be in it full-time at some point. There are narrow cabinets (about 7") on each side of the bed for additional storage, a place to set a clock, glasses, water, tissues, etc.

Aft of the bed is the "deck" over the engine. At its aft end is an existing emergency window and we decided to keep that for light, ventilation and emergency egress if we needed to bail out. Small cabinets are in each of the rear corners and they also house the reading lights.

Since the bus has limited headroom (6' exactly) there are mini-split air conditioners mounted forward in the center over the driver's area and at the far rear over the engine compartment. Just like with house central air the main (compressor/condenser) unit is "outside" (in this case in the storage compartment under the bus) and only the air handling unit is mounted inside. This alleviates the need for roof-top air and that units register/control housing's intrusion into available headroom.

That's about it...thanks for looking.
Les Lampman

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman
Crew Member
Crew Member

Re: Conversion Encyclopedia - Floor Plans

Postby Thomas MVP » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:41 pm

What software is available for skoolie floorplans?
Are there any FREE programs?

Open Office. Does everything Microsoft Office does, except put more money in Bill Gates pocket. Does not save files in Microsoft Visio format.

http://download.openoffice.org/

I'm thinking:
kitchen sink back to back with shower
hand washing sink below that. So you can wash up outside after doing things involving petroleum residue or drain hoses
back of bus a '70s style "sin bin", a recreation of my old van, man
sliding doors at bedroom, throne room, behind driver. Heat and cool only the portion of the truck you are in.
front of bus a maple workbench along one side, a series of workstations on the other side.
robust roll cage with stout metal wall behind driver. So I don't get whacked up side the head by a milling machine flying off that workbench
Thomas MVP

Year: 0

Postby heyheymymy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:53 am

Anyone have links to plans for us short bus folks?
heyheymymy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel

Postby thesaltydog24 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 pm

We need to re-kick start this thread I would like to see what everyone else is doing.

here is mine so far

Chris
thesaltydog24
Skoolie
Skoolie

Year: 0

Postby Wildcat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:51 am

We're almost finished so these plans are pretty much as it is built. I used microsoft visio from my office computer.
Attachments
Bus Plans - systems (2.18.10) - floorplan.jpg
Bus Plans - systems (2.18.10) - electrial.jpg
Bus Plans - systems (2.18.10) - water.jpg
Wildcat
Skoolie
Skoolie

My Bus: Wildcat Lodge
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360