Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

14 day deadline

We bought a bus April 3rd and have 14 days to complete her. I am going to use two 55 gal drums for my holding tanks but I don't know what I should get for the fittings. Also, what is a good way to mount them underneath? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthomson View Post
We bought a bus April 3rd and have 14 days to complete her. I am going to use two 55 gal drums for my holding tanks but I don't know what I should get for the fittings. Also, what is a good way to mount them underneath? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Search Dredman on YouTube for a quick secure way to mount drums. He explains a secure way to use ratchet straps to hold a tank between the frame rails.
Use uniseal for fittings and pvc for waste side. Pex works well for fresh water, and is flameless and pretty quick to install.
There are a ton more ways to do this, but they look to be the fastest to fit in with your schedule.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Just a reminder. Water weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon so your 55 gallon tank will weigh over 460 pounds when full. Two tanks full will be real close to one half a ton in weight. If your mount allows for any up and down movement, gravity will quickly add another half ton as the tanks settle back down after a good bump in our wonderful highway system. I'm sure you plan to split the load from side to side to keep the bus from getting tippy in the turns. An extra half ton of weight on one side of the bus could result in a snap roll over in a hard turn at road speed. Splitting the weight would keep that from happening (assuming the weight is under the floor).

Nothing wrong with the plan in and of itself so just something to plan for.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

Yes shower and sink have one tank on one side and black on the other...sound advice though
Jthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
a tank between the frame rails.
This is the best place for tanks. Preferably between the front and rear axle as close to the rear as possible. My frame rails are 28" apart at the edges. Wider in between if you were doing custom but you probably don't have time for that.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Weight from water can be a real problem and sneak up on you. Make sure you plan carefully for placement and support. I would suggest a safety factor of 5-to1. Meaning make sure your support system can hold five time the weight of your fully loaded tanks.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthomson View Post
Having that much water available is good BUT you never really want to travel with the tanks full,While on the road you only should carry the absolute minimum needed then if your going to be boon docking fill up at the last possible moment before heading in, No need to burn extra fuel carrying all that extra weight down the highways & interstates. Just my .02c
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barrel, plumbing