Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 Cat
Rated Cap: 35
1973 Gillig Problems--Low RPMS and Will not accelerate

Hey everyone, I just got my hands on a 73 Gillig with an 1160 caterpillar engine...it had been sitting with the previous owner for 4 years being used as a spare room. It has not been run in a while, except for the few times I have taken it out. I am totally new to a rig this size, and wanted it to 1) Save on rent (I am only 21 and am trying to live as cheap and eco-friendly as possible) and 2) Travel around for cheap...essentially I am on budget living trying to fulfill some dreams...the thing in itself is a beauty...despite all the aggravation it has caused me already i love it regardless. Recently it started crapping out on me all of the sudden. It was running fine and then after a small collision with a back bumper of a subaru (suffice to say I still need to tame the horse before I take it out), and then it started acting funny. I may have burnt out the clutch...it smelled like it atleast but its a brand new clutch and I just don't think thats it. The problem is that when it is in first it does not accelerate or reach high RPMs. It just kind of rolls at maybe 10 mph. I am not the most mechanically savvy person but I am a quick learner and have until summer to tinker with it in hopes of getting it ready for a trip through Central America. Can anyone give me some advice. I need some wisdom from some skoolie vets. This baby needs some love, help me figure it out. Thanks and its a pleasure to join the ranks.

furthurNbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: 1973 Gillig Problems--Low RPMS and Will not accelerate

When was the last time the fuel filter(s) had a changing? If it has been sitting for a while it wouldn't surprise me if they got a little clogged. That would cause a drop in supply fuel to the pump which in turn would result in low fuel pressure and your situation. I would start there if I were you. Hopefully someone on the board will be more familiar with the configuration of your engine and will be able to give you a step-by-step on replacing the filter on that particular diesel.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
When was the last time the fuel filter(s) had a changing? If it has been sitting for a while it wouldn't surprise me if they got a little clogged. That would cause a drop in supply fuel to the pump which in turn would result in low fuel pressure and your situation. I would start there if I were you.

agreed!

another less likely possibility is the fuel shutoff solenoid/lever. This is a little lever on the side of the injector pump that shuts the engine off. Some vehicles have an electric solenoid that opens/closes the fuel shutoff, older vehicles typically have a handle near the driver that you pull to shut the engine off. If the linkage is not opening the lever all the way it can also produce your situation. But it's more likely to be fuel filters.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 351W EFI Ford1

Quote:
Some vehicles have an electric solenoid that opens/closes the fuel shutoff,
In addition, if it has a solenoid, it can fall prey to corroded or loose electrical connections. Not merely on the wires to the solenoid, but the large wires to the starter, and ground, and, of course, the main connections to the batteries.

A loose starter cable did this to me, on a set of pups.
Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 70

One goodthing is that the engine is sleeved and still can get rebuild kits for it. Unlike the 3208 which is not sleeved. I would defenetly look at the fuel filters and the manual shut off knob. That was my problem. I was trying to start my Carpenter internaional and I didn't realise that I had the knob out when I shut it off the night before. After running down my battery and getting booster cables and cussing and swearing giving my neighbors a great show it dawned on me that the knob was out and I forgot to push it in. I have a Gillig Phantom that has a 6v92 in it and I was having no power and it couldn't get out of it's own way after driving 20 miles, Replaced the fuel filters on the supply to the engine (the filters you first see when you open the engine door) I saw the prime nut was loose so I tightened it and replaced the filters and ran great. Check the priming nut if you have that kind of set up. my experience anyway. Scoob
scoobydoo6v92 is offline   Reply With Quote