Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran IS3009
Engine: Cummings DT466
Rated Cap: 27
6 gal water heater vs. on-demand

trying to decide between an atwood 6-gallon (or 10-gallon) water heater or an on-demand system.

2 adults, three kids age 8, 6, 10. kitchen sink and outdoor shower are the only two things that will have hot water running to them. plan on making sure most of the showering is quick. none of us are into or plan on 20 minute showers.

looking also at space that each would take up.

thanks.

simplyusandabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyusandabus View Post
trying to decide between an atwood 6-gallon (or 10-gallon) water heater or an on-demand system.

2 adults, three kids age 8, 6, 10. kitchen sink and outdoor shower are the only two things that will have hot water running to them. plan on making sure most of the showering is quick. none of us are into or plan on 20 minute showers.

thanks.
Kids ain't quick but they might adapt before adults do...also a shower will use hot water pretty quick...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:

thanks.
My personal preference would be an LP fired point of use I have the larger Bosch electric in my Motor Home and it replaces either an Atwood or Suburban (senior moment) if you are on the grid the Bosch is great if you are Boondocking on solar not so great. Point of use LP's are great (I heat my home with one) The only downsides I see are exhaust (not a big problem) and using too much water because it's hot and always available and by the way considerably less expensive the an RV water heater.I am also installing LP point of use in my current skoolie build.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran IS3009
Engine: Cummings DT466
Rated Cap: 27
Quote:

thanks.

Mostly boondocking on solar.
simplyusandabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Bus Nut

In one RV rebuild I did and a boat, I installed a shower head with a pull rod. The only way to get water when showering was to pull the rod down and hold it. The temp is set at the faucet. Then the diverter knob is pulled up sending water to the shower head, similar to some house hold faucets. Pull the shower rod to wet down and wash. Pull it again to rinse off. It takes a little getting used to but it really cuts down on water usage. I don't know where to get these anymore. They were sold locally at an RV and Marine store. Unfortunately, they shut down about 20 years ago. They could probably be found on epay or amazing.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I remember those rip cord shower heads from Boy Scout camp. Very cool idea.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I didn't know they were used outside of the RV and marine industries.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Kids ain't quick but they might adapt before adults do...also a shower will use hot water pretty quick...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Not if done right...

I haven't converted a bus yet, but I do use a Zodi Hot Tap for out of the car camping, and a shower with the Zodi takes an average of 2 gallons per person. And I am a big hairy guy....
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
They have the rip cord valves set up with basically PVC cap / drilled shower head things at Galveston Island State Park in Texas for their rinse off showers. Very effective for getting just enough water onto the person needing it. Not very effective for privacy though as they are outside on the boardwalk to the beach. Their purpose is simply to rinse off the sand and gack from the beach...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

An idea I stole from EAA Oshkosh is to replace the shower head with a kitchen sink spray nozzle. It puts out enough water to be useful, and you gotta hang on to the thumb trigger to get water. Easy peasy.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
An idea I stole from EAA Oshkosh is to replace the shower head with a kitchen sink spray nozzle. It puts out enough water to be useful, and you gotta hang on to the thumb trigger to get water. Easy peasy.
Anutter good idear to help save on aqua.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That is the other option I have been investigating as well. Flex line with a simple on/off trigger.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I went with a 4GPM tankless LP water heater and I'm glad I did, my push is a RE and I installed it in the engine bay by just moving the coolant recovery tank a little.
You only run out of hot water when you run out of propane, it's worth the cost. Yes I wintered in my unit it has freeze protection on it so as long as the pipes are insulated it doesn't freeze atleast down close to 0F.
YOu can shower and wash dishes or cloths at the same time and have plenty of hot water. BUT it all depends on the size of the tankless unit, don't get a small one, I would say around 3GPM or better. Mine can get the water up to around 175F easily, I've never turned mine up to max.
Been using since Dec 2018.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have full timed in rigs with 6 and 10 gallon RV water heaters.

With two people on board and at least one of us taking "Navy showers" we did not have many issues with running out of hot water.

On occasion I did have a little trouble sleeping. I frequently woke up to the sound of the water heater burner lighting up in the middle of the night to heat water that nobody was using.

Being a tad frugal I hate using propane to keep water hot when it is not needed.

I have not tried a demand water heater yet but will have one in my current bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Go for it! Once you have the bugs out of the on demand you'll agree that its the cat's pajamas.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater, plumbing